mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Price for Trek 6000?

Been reading around that many people are able to get the Trek 6000 for $600 at their LBS. I called a most of my LBS and they are all selling them for $650.

How much is it going for at your stores? Just trying to get the best deal possible and was wondering if this bike was really selling for $600 since none of my stores can sell for that price.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If the bike is HOT (basically, selling out quickly) in your market then expect to pay the MSRP unless there is a sale of some sort at your LBS, otherwise paying cash may yield a small discount. In my market there is alot of competition and the bike sells for $600 routinely here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good point. Where are you located btw? I'm in Northern Va.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm in South Louisiana. We only have about a month of serious cold weather annually, so bikes sell very well year round making competition stiff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I bought Trek 6000 for $600 in Yonkers, NY. I also called a guy in Scarsdale who said the bike costs $650. I was hoping to buy Trek 6500 but it is next to impossible to get one /-:, didn't want wait till June...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    I bought Trek 6000 for $600 in Yonkers, NY. I also called a guy in Scarsdale who said the bike costs $650. I was hoping to buy Trek 6500 but it is next to impossible to get one /-:, didn't want wait till June...
    I am in the same boat. I have been waiting on the 6500 in Blk Chr to arrive. I was told early to mid May by my LBS though. In the interim though if the GF Cobia should appear in my area and the test ride is nice I may deviate from the beaten path.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aadadams
    I am in the same boat. I have been waiting on the 6500 in Blk Chr to arrive. I was told early to mid May by my LBS though. In the interim though if the GF Cobia should appear in my area and the test ride is nice I may deviate from the beaten path.

Have you ever considered buying Specialized Rockhopper? Talking of Trek, I was more than lucky to get my 6000 (actually I wanted an orange and black one), was in stock size 19.5 but brushed aluminum. I also got Trek 4300 for my wife plus few extras at no cost

The only thing I am not fond of are the tires (got a flat tire yesterday) and decided to get IRC Trail Bear MTB Tire 26x2.25 this week

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode the Rockhopper Comp Disc and I enjoyed it very much. I just felt better about the Trek 6000 that I test rode. The one thing I needed was a lockout fork, so I investigated ebaying the Dart 1 and adding a fork as opposed to moving up to the 6500 and the 6500 was the best choice. The GF Cobia and 29'er craze was brought up to me by my LBS and he expects that the bikes will be in stock at nearly the same time. Worse case scenario is that I may have to wait another two weeks or so to make my purchase.

mtbr member
    Paid $620 for mine. I've yet to see a 6000 in any other trek dealer that i've been to.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The 6000 is available...

and in numbers. We've got three of them in our shop. If you aren't seeing them then the shop just isn't ordering them.

As for price, it's early in the season and a hot model will go for MSRP in many instances. We've got ours going for right at $600. So it depends allot on the shop and how well the bike is selling. I know our EX7's and 8's are right at MSRP and we can't keep em on the floor. Just depends on where you live and what's selling well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Spec. Comp Disc is over $200 more though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A descent lockout fork cost more than $200, not mention labor. On the Trek 6500 which compares favorably to the Comp Disc you also move up to hydraulic brakes and better components. It would be $200 well spent if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thx for the explanations.

If I'm looking at the 800-850 price range, what are some comparable bikes? Trek 6500, Specialized Comp Disc, and what else?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    More than we can name in one setting. Bear in mind that the MSRPs on these bikes range from 899-929 but in this market they can be had for the prices you listed. YMMV. Now for a few that are common:

1. Cannondale F4
    2. Jamis Durango
    3. Kona Caldera

Those are quite comparable to the 6500 and Comp Disc and more than enough food for initial thought. Their will be no perfect, completely loaded bike at these prices, but you can decide based on your feel for the geometry, fit, color, and/or design of each bike. The common advice is that you need to test ride as many bikes as you can before making a decision. At that point at least the decision you make will be as informed a decision as possible. You don't want to buy on then test ride another in a week and want to dump your new bike for it because you like the test bike more. As a result of this process I am waiting for what seems like an eternity to make my purchase, because I want to get the best bike for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Since this is the Trek section, I'm assuming you favor the 6500 for that price range?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I favor the one you like most for you. You will get no bias from me. I just say that you should try as many as possible before you buy to avoid any degree of buyers remorse. Personally, I am leaning towards the 6500, but before I buy I want to test ride the Gary Fisher Cobia (29'er) (about the same price as the 6500). If I like the Cobia more then I will get it instead, but right now I am leaning towards the 6500.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How much are people being quoted for the $6500?.
    I was expecting it somewhere in between the 6000 and 6700 but its far from it at $920 :/

6000 - $599
    6500 - $920
    6700 - $999

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was quoted the same prices for the 6000 and 6700 as you, but the 6500 price here is $849.

Gravity hurts

... and if we just ...

I scooped up my 19.5 - 6000 brushed aluminum for 6 hundo + tax. I called all around Indy and it was the only one left (except for a 15"). Needless to say the guy at my alternate LBS wasn't dealing. I'm very happy with it, even though I couldn't get a deal or freebees and the kid that was adjusting the deraileures must have been on the pipe. I had to go through it all again. I originally thought it was cable stretch, but upon further review it was the sweet grass. Pimp bike though and the top of the line for the lettuce (in my opinion). So far I've switched out the grandma petals, added some Bontrager bar ends, switched to Kenda hybrid tires and of course the first time I rode it all the reflectors "accidentally" fell off.

Kyle in No-Indy
    WAR The Jungle

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I got mine this weekend for 550 at Gearhead in Jonesborro, ar. they were going to sell a gary fisher pirahna for that as well..good price I think..but he wouldn't throw in a helmet...

Sweatin in Bama
    Jun 2007
    Dont know if you can shop around and be willing to take an '06 model new on sale to clear out space.

I just bought a new '06 6500 for $640.00 It does not have disc brakes but is set up on the fork and wheels for discs. I just gotta add 'em.

It was I believe $850 or $880 new or something like that and when I went in to the LBS they were in the process of pricing them down to make room for the '07's and soon to be 08's.

I had them swap the seat out for nothing to a better MUCH more comfortable Specialized BG seat and had them throw on my clipless pedals from my last bike.