mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Price of TREK 4300?

Hi,

I am a beginner to the sport and want to get something decent, the 4500 is overkill for me and the 3700 isnt enough, i've set my sights on the 4300 with out the disc brakes.

My question is this, how much should i expect to pay?

MTBR says MSRP is $339 (4300 w/o brakes) I live in an upscale town so the only bike store here is probably going to try and rip me off.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Trek says the MSRP is $389, I think I payed $350 for mine, but that was several years ago, I'd still pay it now. Are you sure the 4500 is too much? It looks like the drive train is upgraded, and that is the weakest part one the 4300, IMO.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by play21cw
    My question is this, how much should i expect to pay?
    Trek lists their MSRP on their website.Here is the link for the 4300 Look in the top right.

I would expect that any shop will charge the manufacturer's recommended price. MTBR is rarely accurate about bikes because they don't distinguish between different years. The price of the 4300 has gone up over the years. This also holds true for the reviews. Reviewers rarely mention what year they are reviewing which can make it really hard to get a proper assessment.

Ride a 4300 and then ride a 4500. The 4500 is noticeably smoother in terms of shifting and the Rockshox fork is an upgrade from the 4300. If you're like most every 4300 owner on here, you'll buy the bike and then come on and ask for upgrade suggestions. If you upgrade the 4300 to the 4500 you'll spend much more than their difference in price. Save yourself the time, trouble, and money and really consider making the stretch to the 4500.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    If you're like most every 4300 owner on here, you'll buy the bike and then come on and ask for upgrade suggestions. If you upgrade the 4300 to the 4500 you'll spend much more than their difference in price. Save yourself the time, trouble, and money and really consider making the stretch to the 4500.

guilty as charged.

now that I go about and think about it, I actually should've just gotten a 4500 or higher, because on my 4300, I upgraded the front fork, front and rear derailluers...so I should've just gotten something with the better components...but hey, it's a learning thing

my first real mt bike, but wont be my last