mtbr member
    Oct 2006

price check: used 6700 WSD for girlfriend.. seller is asking $575 shipped. too high?

hey gang,

my gf is looking for a bike. she's not a hardcore rider [yet] & we're working with grad school budgets. I found a guy selling his wife's 2001 model 6700 WSD, claiming < 100mi on it (pics do tend to agree w/ this claim).

Specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...0WSD&Type=bike

He's asking $575 shipped (Wisconsin -> Virginia). Is that a good price? Too high? For a bike 8yrs old, I'm thinking I have ground to talk him down... what's reasonable?

I have more pics from the seller if needed...

thanks,
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    for what its worth, i just sold this exact bike for $150 in new england. granted, it was a bit more beat up and i wasn't really looking to make much dough on it, but just for comparison's sake...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, that's the consensus I've gotten from pretty much everyone I've talked to.

Thread in Women's Lounge: opinion on '01 Trek 6700 WSD? or... what would you look for w/ a $500ish budget?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Way too much. I would say $150-$200. You might be able to get clearance bikes at that price and lots of improvements have been made since 2001.

Vigilante Trail Groomer
    Jul 2005
    I found that SAME bike 3 years ago for my ex GF for $25 out the door at a garage sale.....and it was in nice shape.

For the parts speced on those bike you're really not getting any more than what $399 will you get you at any LBS for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    haha... well alrighty then

thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, it's a bit too high. You would be surprised what the used bike market is like though. Aside from the occasional super great deal most people don't seem to realize that bikes lose value like pretty much everything else. I've seen so many used bikes posted for near or at the same price they originally sold for.

As for that bike, I would say it's definitely high. $400 shipped would probably be more reasonable. $150 shipped is too low in my opinion. One perhaps more important factor is that a new bike would have a more relaxed riding position than this bike will. I have seen so many people buy an older hardtail like this for a significant other and then spend another $200 getting it set up (i.e. higher bars, stem, new saddle, cables etc.) A shop will help with all of these things on a new bike purchase, and with the newer bikes fitting out more relaxed out of the box it might be a better option.