mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Powder coating Klein? asking again

before we get into this, no the frame is not under warranty. i asked this before but got no real answers or people with first hand experience.

anyone here have their Klein powder coated? i want to do my extra FS Adept frame, but i have inquired with klein and they said the rear triangle because of a bonding compound would be a prob due to the heat in powdercoating. as for the main triangle, which i am assuming other kleins are made from, they said would not be a problem, BUT in order to prep the frame, the powdercoaters said they need to media blast which klein says would be a problem and disrupt the intergrity of the frame. they said they liquid paint and strip the old paint by media blasting with low psi and use shredded plastic along with 400-600 grit sandpaper. don't really want to attempt this myself. let the pro's do it.

i contacted spectrum powder works in colorado http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com and they said they have done a bunch of kleins before w/no probs. so i am stumped as i sometimes think trek/klein just wants us to repaint from them and it may be because of warranty issues. anyone have any ideas or real life experiences they can share? thanks
    here is a pic of my 1st adept

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i know there are a bunch of kleinaholics out there....anyone?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    In the process of powder coating, the extreme heat required to fuse the powder coat to the metal may compromise the integrity of the frame. As Klein suggested, the rear triangle will be more sensative. Concerning your front triangle, and every other Klein frame for that matter, you will greatly compromise your welds. Klein uses "void free" or "double pass" welds to create the ultra-strong and near sightless welds on every Klein frame; a piece of sand paper NEVER touches the frame or weld, not even at paint! Because of Klein's use of thin wall, oversized tubing, the sand paper, or in your case, media blasting, will compromise the integrity of the tubing's thin walls and the void free welds.

As a pre-Trek Klein bike collector, and now a "professional" restorer/upgrader of many old-school/classic bikes, including Klein, Cannondale, Bianchi, Lemond, and many more, I suggest you reconsider your quest for powder coat. Klein/Trek does a beautiful job with their factory repaint program; I opt for it with every Klein frame I use; their work is second to none! I know some people have opted to hire private painters to paint their Kleins, in an attempt to save some money however, the Klein repaint program is worth every penny!

On a more personal level, I would hate to see a Klein with a non-Klein paint job; the paint is half the reson people buy Kleins; a linear, multi-tone paint job is a privlidge, not a right. But then again, in your case it won't matter as much, considering you own a Trek-era Klein! JK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    actual response from Klein
    "The welded main will be fine.The other issue is paint removal. You do not want to sand blast main or swing, we actually sand the paint off by hand for repaint purposes here at the factory...We do not powder coat Klein's. We do use media blasting, very low PSI and small soft chunks of shredded plastic. We use high grit sandpaper, 400-600 grit to sand and prep frames for paint,and we use a primer coat as well"

they do use sandpaper and media blast albiet low psi and they use shredded plastic.
    thanks for the response. i see where you are going with this. for me to send it back to klein will probably cost me too much since i live in hawaii. also iam too scared to ship the frame because my 1st klein got damaged in shipping. i actually do not care for the old school klein paint jobs and like a more conservative look where less is more. ie: one color generally flat black is what i want. oh well i think i will pass on the powder coating

Choo Choo

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesofsmyles
    Concerning your front triangle, and every other Klein frame for that matter, you will greatly compromise your welds. Klein uses "void free" or "double pass" welds to create the ultra-strong and near sightless welds on every Klein frame; a piece of sand paper NEVER touches the frame or weld, not even at paint! Because of Klein's use of thin wall, oversized tubing, the sand paper, or in your case, media blasting, will compromise the integrity of the tubing's thin walls and the void free welds.
    Have you ever seen a Klein frame before it was painted? I hate to break it to you but they undergo sanding, filing, and probably even some angle grinding. Sorry, but that's how it is, just like most other frames.

the Klein repaint program is worth every penny!
    if you like donating money to a huge corporation

On a more personal level, I would hate to see a Klein with a non-Klein paint job; the paint is half the reson people buy Kleins; a linear, multi-tone paint job is a privlidge, not a right. But then again, in your case it won't matter as much, considering you own a Trek-era Klein! JK.
    Having a Klein frame repainted by Trek in a "Klein" color hardly qualifys as keeping it real. Its cool to have shiny new paint if that's your thing but it removes any shred of originality from the frame.

To the OP: Go ahead and get it powder coated by someone local if you havent already. I wouldn't worry about the integrity of the frame one bit.
    "A Pound Of Nuts Is Simply Not Enough To Keep My Rage At Bay" - PTH

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    what the hell? my posts are not showing up here and why is my post here now after 4 weeks????

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ok now that post showed up. L-Train, my thoughts exactly! so do you got any experience with PC klein frames. still kinda wary

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    reviving OP to see if there are any new responses/opinions out there. thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i wouldn't hesitate to PC it. Like I said in the PC tech thread, we strip frames chemically, then lightly blast it to clean and condition the metal, excercising extreme caution with respect to media choice, air pressure, air volume, gun nozzle, and incidence angles (which is in-line with Klein's recommended procedure). Blasting to strip (the practice of choice for 'git-er-done" shops) is where you can run into problems with thin-wall tubing. Unless the frame is made of Easton scandium tubing, heat will not be a concern, either.

What is the rear triangle construction? Carbon/aluminum composite? If so, I would NOT try coating that. In my opinion (I have no data leading me to believe otherwise), baking temperatures would likely compromise its integrity.

The most important thing here is that you ask your coater a lot of questions. If they don't seem particularly knowledgable about bicycles, I'd keep searching. Spectrum has PCed a lot of Kleins successfully, because they're experts with bikes. If it's not going to work, or if it'd mess up the frame, they aren't going to do it. There are plenty of coaters that will attempt to coat *anything* you give them. They'd try to PC a turd so long as you paid them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd say leave the Klein paintjob alone and concentrate on replacing the other garish components that you have bolted onto the frame.

I echo the sentiments expressed above about the paintjob being an important part of a Klein's desirability. To me, it indicates quality and that the frame was made and finished off by craftsmen - not by limited skilled robots working on a production line.

The Klein Adept Race is based on the Gary Fisher Sugar design, so why not try to aquire one of those instead as they were also offered in muted colours.

The Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ was offered in an understated Fox Silver/Black that might suite your tastes and will match up nicely with your Fox forks.

Btw, the Klein Adept Race has a better ride quality and handling even though it has less travel and a lower specced fork than the GF Sugars (especially ones of the later years). I know this because I used to own four different GF Sugars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    nice Adept! same size and color as mine. IMHO i don't really care for the Klein paint jobs. To each his own and besides, these Kleins are made by TREK so we are not talking about loosing a early 90's gator paint job and if powdered coated it won't be by some robot on an assembly line. I also think that although the blue on our bikes is a nice color, it is not by any means "special". Anyway i was just inquiring since i got 2.5 of these bikes. i thought of using one as a complete custom, but probably just will leave it as is.