Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1040
    mtbr member
    2013 Fuel EX 8 26er and 15.5

This is my first FS bike and my 3rd mtn bike. I traded a 2012 Cannondale Supersix Di2 that i bought while living in south florida on it and i am having a blast. I feel like a kid again jumping curbs and riding the muddy trails though my neighborhood while trying to get use to the shifters and clipless pedals on a mountain bike. Who said 34 and overweight you can't have fun?

Last edited by wcoyne; 06-11-2014 at 01:29 AM.
    2013 TREK Fuel EX 8 26er
    2010 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member

Post Your FUEL EX official post

You and I have the same model, mine is red and black though. Congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhammer View Post
    You and I have the same model, mine is red and black though. Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks for the congrats.
    2013 TREK Fuel EX 8 26er
    2010 Trek 4300 Disc

Need more cowbell
    Project One Fuel EX 29er.

This bike is amazing.

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-bryansfuel.jpg

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    heres my '14 ex8. got to ride her a little bit this weekend, cant wait to get back out asap.. awesome bike.

before i forget, what is the max pressure on these shocks? the other floats (non-trek drcv specific) usually have a 175 or 200psi max. i weigh under 170 and im at 160psi and its not stiff enough. it feels great on everything except the descents.. well, its not horrible going down, it just blows through the travel too easy.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-14230670725_abd8aba117_b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blindboxx2334 View Post
    heres my '14 ex8. got to ride her a little bit this weekend, cant wait to get back out asap.. awesome bike.

before i forget, what is the max pressure on these shocks? the other floats (non-trek drcv specific) usually have a 175 or 200psi max. i weigh under 170 and im at 160psi and its not stiff enough. it feels great on everything except the descents.. well, its not horrible going down, it just blows through the travel too easy.

You're not too far away from my weight. Load up all your gear, including shoes, and weigh yourself - that's your riding weight (minus maybe 1 to 2 pounds for water evaporation). Then plug in the values here:
    Suspension setup - Trek Bicycle

It's a pretty SPOT-ON calculator. If the ride is too rough, then adjust rebound to be "faster".

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The Trek Suspension calculator says your shock should be at 190psi at 170lbs. I am not sure where you got your info on the upper limit, but it goes way higher than that.

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post
    You're not too far away from my weight. Load up all your gear, including shoes, and weigh yourself - that's your riding weight (minus maybe 1 to 2 pounds for water evaporation). Then plug in the values here:

It's a pretty SPOT-ON calculator. If the ride is too rough, then adjust rebound to be "faster".
    thank youuuuuu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    The Trek Suspension calculator says your shock should be at 190psi at 170lbs. I am not sure where you got your info on the upper limit, but it goes way higher than that.
    i thought i saw something a while ago about standard (non drcv) floats having a psi limit of 175 or 200. although i just quickly glanced at one of fox's tech docs for a standard float and didnt see anything about a max psi..

anywho, i just find it odd for the difference in pressures between my fork and shock. my XF fork is at 60 psi right now, and ill probably go up to 70lbs (per the air table on the fork) while my shock is supposed to be at 190psi. id imagine that would be pretty hard on whatever seals keep the air cans all sealed up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thank youuuuuu!

i thought i saw something a while ago about standard (non drcv) floats having a psi limit of 175 or 200. although i just quickly glanced at one of fox's tech docs for a standard float and didnt see anything about a max psi..

anywho, i just find it odd for the difference in pressures between my fork and shock. my XF fork is at 60 psi right now, and ill probably go up to 70lbs (per the air table on the fork) while my shock is supposed to be at 190psi. id imagine that would be pretty hard on whatever seals keep the air cans all sealed up.
    Just my $.01 I'll throw out - the guide on Trek's site is simply a starting place and in some cases, over estimates the amount of air you need. The correct way to dial in air pressure is by measuring the amount of sag you have given the pressure you put into the fork/shock - the sag should be roughly 20-30%, but this is where the "dialing in" comes into play. You can adjust the amount of sag you want to run given your riding style, terrain, weight, etc. I weigh about 160lb with gear and Trek's site suggests 185-190psi. When I put that much air in, I don't get enough sag. But you can adjust to your own preference and what works for you.

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vzipper View Post
    Just my $.01 I'll throw out - the guide on Trek's site is simply a starting place and in some cases, over estimates the amount of air you need. The correct way to dial in air pressure is by measuring the amount of sag you have given the pressure you put into the fork/shock - the sag should be roughly 20-30%, but this is where the "dialing in" comes into play. You can adjust the amount of sag you want to run given your riding style, terrain, weight, etc. I weigh about 160lb with gear and Trek's site suggests 185-190psi. When I put that much air in, I don't get enough sag. But you can adjust to your own preference and what works for you.
    of course, although its better than nothing. i will probably start at 190 and work my way down, i want something pretty progressive (not sure if thats what its going to give me, but im sure as hell going to try).. it bottoms way too easily for me on the downward slopes.. im looking for less than 20% sag on this pup (i dont like to run a lot of sag, prob 15% or so).

it felt great this last weekend @ 160psi, but at every break i saw that the o ring was completely blown off the shaft. luckily the stuff i was riding wasnt supper nutty, but i think ill really like more air in it when i start riding rougher stuff and get faster (my cardio is terrible currently)

thx!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    of course, although its better than nothing. i will probably start at 190 and work my way down, i want something pretty progressive (not sure if thats what its going to give me, but im sure as hell going to try).. it bottoms way too easily for me on the downward slopes.. im looking for less than 20% sag on this pup (i dont like to run a lot of sag, prob 15% or so).

it felt great this last weekend @ 160psi, but at every break i saw that the o ring was completely blown off the shaft. luckily the stuff i was riding wasnt supper nutty, but i think ill really like more air in it when i start riding rougher stuff and get faster (my cardio is terrible currently)

thx!
    Yea, I hear ya. 170lb at 160psi is most likely not enough for how you want it set up. At my 160lb im running closer to 170psi in the rear and just under 70psi up front (btw that's for the 2014 Fox stuff - non drcv in front, drcv in back). I also reviewed Fox's website and that helped me make some adjustments as well.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009

Shock pump attachment

thx!
    I have a 2014 Fuel EX 8 26er. I'm around 165-170 lbs with gear and I run around 175-180psi.

Make sure that you hear the second chamber of the DRCV shock open when you screw on your shock pump (you should hear a second "pfft", if not keep tightening). If you don't open up to the 2nd chamber, you may not be getting as much air in as you're measuring.

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    Yea, I hear ya. 170lb at 160psi is most likely not enough for how you want it set up. At my 160lb im running closer to 170psi in the rear and just under 70psi up front (btw that's for the 2014 Fox stuff - non drcv in front, drcv in back). I also reviewed Fox's website and that helped me make some adjustments as well.
    if your shock doesnt have enough bottoming resistance, see below.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    I have a 2014 Fuel EX 8 26er. I'm around 165-170 lbs with gear and I run around 175-180psi.

Make sure that you hear the second chamber of the DRCV shock open when you screw on your shock pump (you should hear a second "pfft", if not keep tightening). If you don't open up to the 2nd chamber, you may not be getting as much air in as you're measuring.
    i always double check that ive heard the second noise to make sure the 2nd chamber is open.

the issue i am having now is the bottoming out, i can ride the super mellow stuff on my property at 180-190 psi and still bottom it out somewhat easily (trek recommends 190 psi for me). its even worse on the trails, because i usually like to ride rough stuff and im usually leaned back when im decending, so the shock is usually doing most of the work.

so luckily someone showed me these:
    Push Industries - Trek Bicycles DRCV Volume Tuning Kits

ordered them yesterday, cant wait to fit them and try them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    if your shock doesnt have enough bottoming resistance, see below.

i always double check that ive heard the second noise to make sure the 2nd chamber is open.

the issue i am having now is the bottoming out, i can ride the super mellow stuff on my property at 180-190 psi and still bottom it out somewhat easily (trek recommends 190 psi for me). its even worse on the trails, because i usually like to ride rough stuff and im usually leaned back when im decending, so the shock is usually doing most of the work.

so luckily someone showed me these:
    Push Industries - Trek Bicycles DRCV Volume Tuning Kits

ordered them yesterday, cant wait to fit them and try them.
    My shock will bottom out occasionally on larger drops - I'm talking significantly larger drops of 4+ ft, but never just riding around on a trail or the street or anything mellow. Maybe there might be an issue with your shock, hopefully not, but my experience is the shock doesn't behave in that way and blow through the travel that easily.

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    My shock will bottom out occasionally on larger drops - I'm talking significantly larger drops of 4+ ft, but never just riding around on a trail or the street or anything mellow. Maybe there might be an issue with your shock, hopefully not, but my experience is the shock doesn't behave in that way and blow through the travel that easily.
    well, the shock itself feels pretty good for it being fox and CTD (lol). it just bottoms way too easily for me, i read somewhere that these shocks are supposed to be super linear..? which i thought was super goofy because i thought the second air chamber was supposed to help with bottoming/blowing through the travel.

so, im really hoping this will help the bottoming. i think they way it is now, along with my riding style is just not a good combo for this shock.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here's my 2009 Trek Fuel Ex 5.5

Her name is Goldie Rox and she's stock except for her pedals, cassette, rear derailleur, shifter, and the very newly installed Race Face narrow wide single chain ring.

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-goldie-rox-resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post

Wow, never seen that calculator before. My rear shock was nearly 60psi off what the LBS recommended. Going to try and dial in my rebound. Noticed it was all the way at the bottom for front and rear. Might help on some of the descents I have done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Wow, never seen that calculator before. My rear shock was nearly 60psi off what the LBS recommended. Going to try and dial in my rebound. Noticed it was all the way at the bottom for front and rear. Might help on some of the descents I have done.
    Oh you'll DEFINITELY notice on your next ride. Then just check pressure every 10 rides or so.
    I love my LBS. They know they're stuff...... Just not everything there is to know Hence the forum!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Post Your FUEL EX  official post-trek.jpg

She's about a week old and loving every minute I've had her out. She just replaced my 2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3, which was an incredible bike for over a decade and still runs strong actually. Highly recommend this bike to anyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Took my Fuel eX8 out on the trail for the first time last night. Upgrading from an old steel hardtail with only 80mm of front travel is a drastic change. I was flying down several rocky/rooty descents that previously would cause me trouble. Where I would have to slow down before because my back end was bouncing around I was now just letting it all fly by as I remained in complete control. I was even taking some small jumps to clear sections.

I don't know if it was tire pressure, the tires, changing to a FS, or just the fact that it was a bit wet. I noticed the traction wasn't as solid on the rear wheel when climbing rock gardens etc. I will have to experiment with that.

I think I'll get a riser bar with a bit more sweep in order to change hand position but otherwise...she's a beaut Clark.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Post Your FUEL EX  official post-imag0694.jpg
    Fuel Ex 9 650b. Tips the scales at 27lbs 13oz with the reflectors and junk on. Haven't weighed it with those off and the pedals on yet.

Zaf
    mtbr member

Re: Post Your FUEL EX official post

Quote Originally Posted by TheKetchupMan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0694.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	907620
    Fuel Ex 9 650b. Tips the scales at 27lbs 13oz with the reflectors and junk on. Haven't weighed it with those off and the pedals on yet.
    They don't come with factory series forks on the 9 model?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It came with just the Fox 32 fork with the "CTD".

People of zee wurl,Relax!
    How does the 650b ride?
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This is my first full suspension bike, so it's kind of hard to describe the ride in any other words but awesome. I demo'd the Fuel Ex 7 29er before buying this. I liked it a lot, but when I rode it, I felt like I was noticing the 120mm of travel on the front and back much more than the 1.5" of extra wheel radius. Now that I have the Ex 9 I think I was right; the 650b feels super snappy, and I'm making it over obstacles (uphill) much better than I was on my old hardtail, and this thing definitely feels more responsive than the Ex 7. I don't think I had enough time on the Ex 7 to compare the DCRV rearshock with the DCRV+Re:Activ, but so far I like all three settings on the rear (Climb, Trail and Descend), though for the front, I'm using Trail almost exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by trail topher View Post
    How does the 650b ride?

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast