Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc2211 View Post
    Sorry for the delay in replying to this - only just saw your post!

For me, the overall bike weight is not an issue at all, the bike feels really agile and nimble - it definitely has the same traits as the 26" version and feels *much* less cumbersome than a HT29er. I *love* riding it on singletrack, it just comes alive - nicely plush but firm enough to really get stuck in.

I will say that with the XC32 fork, the front is a *little* heavier than I'd ideally like, but I actually prefer this as I find it nails the front a little more for my style. I chose the Ex 5 on purpose for the fork as it needs very little maintenance compared to some of the more expensive ones... as I commute (split between the Fuel when I want to have fun, and an X-Cal for bad weather and point to point blast on the flat) I end up putting in a fair few miles over a year.

I was planning on adding carbon bars and seatpost, along with some Fulcrum tubeless I have ready to add... and I have done none of it, the parts are all in a box!! I have enjoyed the bike 'as is' too much to start messing around!
    Thanks for responding and the info!! Was very helpful. I'm considering either the ex 5, or the ex 6.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Go with the EX6 at a minimum. If you could afford it, I would recommend the EX8 actually. The components are much better including the brakes. Avid Elixar 1s are garbage compared to the Shimano SLXs which is a $300+ upgrade there. Not to mention you are getting better quality suspension with the Fox vice RochShock which doesn't offer the hill climb adjustments. Those difference right there are $600+ and are just a few of the vast improvements. I bought an EX6 and wish someone would have save me from it cause now I am upgrading everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, I had my heart set on the 2013 ex7. All those sold before I made my move. And now the 2014 ex7 comes in 29er only! Which I still like because of the better components. The 2014 ex6 comes with shimano M445 brakes now, but still has the rockshox fork as before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Trust me, the EX 8 is a higher quality product. at my local Trek store the difference between the EX 6 is $200.

2013 Trek EX 6:
    Trek Fuel EX 6 - Trek Bicycle Superstore

2013 Trek EX 8:
    Trek Fuel EX 8 - Trek Bicycle Superstore

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Trust me, the EX 8 is a higher quality product. at my local Trek store the difference between the EX 6 is $200.

2013 Trek EX 6:
    Trek Fuel EX 6 - Trek Bicycle Superstore

2013 Trek EX 8:
    Trek Fuel EX 8 - Trek Bicycle Superstore
    Well isn't that just a bunch of bull crap???? Your store shows both bikes in stock in all sizes! An still at close out prices!!! Two store in my area, one being a trek superstore is showing only the size 18.5 I'm stock at full price. And the LBS in the town I live in only shows the 21.5 on stock, at full price for the EX8. And both shops have the EX6 at full price, and all sizes!! That's weird!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This shop is amazing. I am still yet to find anyone who can beat their prices. You might be able to get them to ship. Or even get your store to match their prices at least. Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I will sell you my upgraded 6 month old upgraded EX 6 for $1500 shipped if you are interested...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well........ I jumped on the band wagon , sold my EX 8 2011, great bike, I now have the new 2014 Stache 8, I'm very pleased with it so far.
    I'm reading through this thread , she who must be obeyed ....the Mrs has a EX8 2011 am I right in thinking I can go 650b with her ride, her ride is standard as from cycle shop ?

Thank you in advance. Enjoy the trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This shop is amazing. I am still yet to find anyone who can beat their prices. You might be able to get them to ship. Or even get your store to match their prices at least. Where are you located?
    I'm located outside of Chicago. I just checked my local shop website. And now the EX 7 and 8 are back on the site. I wonder If they took them down because of the recall for the evolution fork!!! I plan on going next week and putting one on layaway for the winter. I hope i can still get it for the close out price!!! They don't have them listed for the close out price anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
    Well........ I jumped on the band wagon , sold my EX 8 2011, great bike, I now have the new 2014 Stache 8, I'm very pleased with it so far.
    I'm reading through this thread , she who must be obeyed ....the Mrs has a EX8 2011 am I right in thinking I can go 650b with her ride, her ride is standard as from cycle shop ?

Thank you in advance. Enjoy the trails
    What made you go to the stache 8 from the ex 8?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    To be honest always liked hard tails.....however felt a bit of pressure to go 29er, thoughts were my EX would be worth nothing....so bit the bullet early and got a good price, and I'm not using the bike like I used to, I'm doing 2 month trips offshore now. I have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Post Your FUEL EX official post

Sold my EX 6 today and picked up a 9.8. So excited to break it in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Was looking at getting the EX 9.8 XO1 tomorrow instead of the Superfly FS 9.8 SL. The only downside to the Fuel is no remote lock out. Has anyone wished the Fuel had it? The superfluid remote lockout is pretty nice and if it had 120 mm of travel it would be a no brainer. Can the Fuel be converted to have remote lockouts? If I get the fuel I will just leave the shocks on "trail" setting, with the Superfly I see myself using the l
    Remote all the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Re: Post Your FUEL EX official post

To be honest, I have a RS SID XX and I hardly ever use the lock out except when I'm on long pavement rides. I find if I balance my weight right I don't need to lock out the fork.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    Was looking at getting the EX 9.8 XO1 tomorrow instead of the Superfly FS 9.8 SL. The only downside to the Fuel is no remote lock out. Has anyone wished the Fuel had it? The superfluid remote lockout is pretty nice and if it had 120 mm of travel it would be a no brainer. Can the Fuel be converted to have remote lockouts? If I get the fuel I will just leave the shocks on "trail" setting, with the Superfly I see myself using the l
    Remote all the time.
    You talking about a handlebar lockout for the forks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    In my 2013 26er Fuel Ex 7 and with the correct psi I leave both my fork and shock to climb mode and it handles great almost everything. Remote lock would be a nice addition but I believe that there are more differences between Fuel and Superfly except for the remote lock.

PS. For Fox forks you could add an aftermarket lock but not for the rear shocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You talking about a handlebar lockout for the forks?
    Yes, I'm wondering if I'd use it. Lot's of ups and downs here. I'd like to think that I would lock the shock out on the climb, switch to descend on the downhill then switch to trail for the flats. Without a handlebar switch "like on the superfly" I will never touch the shock and leave it on trail o\at all time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Honestly so far on the steep climbs, I have left the suspension in trail mode. The idea of the switch would be nice but it's really not that hard to reach down and manually flip it to descend or climb mode on the front and rear shock. The handlebar mount is for those DH guys that don't have the "time" to reach down. I am a recreational rider, not a DH racer.

mtbr member

Re: Post Your FUEL EX official post

Just bought mine on Friday (yeah, I know) and took it out for it's first ride Saturday. First FS after riding XC hardtails. Really, really happy with the bike and the customer service of my LBS (which is 3 blocks from my house). I love how easy it is to dial the suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2012 Fuel EX 6

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-trek.jpg  

mtbr member
    Trek Fuel EX 5 2012
     photo IMG_0448_zps5d4d3df2.jpg
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Just got a 2012 trek Fuel EX 9,Love the bike. trying to hopefully cut some weight down on it. Any suggestions?

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-00x0x_5rsmcmqzgqw_600x450.jpg
    Trek Fuel EX 9 2012
    Airborne Seeker 2013

Zaf
    mtbr member
    You swapped off the XT brakes it comes with stock?

mtbr member
    lighter rims/handlebars/seat posts....I cant tell if youre running flats or not but switching to clipless pedals would help as well.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fuel Ex 9 Size 21" Frameset Build: 28lbs Exactly

XT Double Crankset / Cassette
    XT Front / Rear Der.
    XT Brakes 180/160
    Mavic SLR Wheels
    Bontrager XR3 2.30 Tires
    XTR Shifters
    XTR Pedals
    RXL Handlebar
    Thomson Seatpost
    Bontrager Evoke Saddle (Heavy)
    Race Lite Stem
    ODI Lock On Grips

Recently swapped most of these parts from a Stache 8 I built. Stache will be going single speed which should be interesting and eventually what I would like to do to this fuel is swap to 1x11, dropper post and lighter seat.

First ride today and couldn't be happier. Some minor tweaking here and there but climbed amazingly and screamed on the downhills.

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1740.jpg

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1738.jpg

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast