Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Post Your FUEL EX official post

I will be mount a xx1 Group in my fuel ex,
    It's a good idea?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Any of you who have the 2011 Trek EX 5 have any issues with the rear shock making a loud grunting sound when it compresses while riding? I have checked the pressure and it is where it is supposed to be but that sound sure makes me wonder if I have an issue back there.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by efecto 0 View Post
    Post Your FUEL EX  official post-fuel-ex.jpg
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Netipong View Post
    My FUEL EX5 2011
    Very nice man!!!
    Trek Fuel Ex 5 '11 with Fox Float RL 120mm '12

mtbr member

2013 Trek Fuel EX8

I had a 2008 EX8 and loved it so much that I bought a 2013 EX8. Sold the 2008 for $900. Trails too soft and wet from the winter so I haven't gotten her dirty yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1020377.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1020470.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1020461.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1020463.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1020475.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1020473.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I still love my 2010 ex 9.8 like crazy! I toy with the idea of picking up a remedy (love the rear sus on this bike) for a more aggressive AM ride, but I cannot seem to get rid of this bike.

From a recent trip to moab

Just added an easton havoc carbon bar, and I have some wtb wheels coming in soon for her

mtbr member
    I went from an EX to a Remedy and love it. Don't mind te extra weight at all. The extra travel is totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sadly, I'm in horrible shape so the Fuel Ex clearly isn't the bottleneck in my case. ^.^

mtbr member

Indoor Pics

I'm loving it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-image.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-image.jpg  

mtbr member

Indoor pics - additional.

A few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2012 Fuel EX8

Nice and dirty.
    Post Your FUEL EX  official post-wp_000016.jpgPost Your FUEL EX  official post-wp_000017.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice. Can't wait to get mine dirty. Trails still too soft here in NJ.

mtbr member
    Post Your FUEL EX  official post-2011-fuel-ex9-1-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    No I am using the stock Fox fork, the wheel fits fine, travel is okay also. One issue with non-Fox Forks is bottoming out and the tire hitting the steerer crown, not an issue with Fox.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member

2010 Fuel EX9 w/650B front wheel

I've been riding this with the 650b up front since July 2012. I love it! When it comes time for a new bike I may get a Remedy because you can fit 650B front and rear unless Trek goes 650b with the Fuel in 2014, otherwise I'm jumping ship. The handling is that much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_0561.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Few dark ones from room as my "do it yourself project" nears it's end...

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-fb.jpg

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1572.jpg

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1578.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    what's up with that little mud flap up front? how well does that work?

unclean from last ride and shitty weather keeps the garage pretty messy right now

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-uc2meval.jpg
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It is something like Fender Bender but DIY version, it's pretty awesome in protecting stanchions and face from mud and rocks.

Here is one of older pics when I just installed it.

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1569.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Post Your FUEL EX official post

Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    what's up with that little mud flap up front? how well does that work?

unclean from last ride and shitty weather keeps the garage pretty messy right now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UC2mEVal.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	785101
    What stem are you running?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

EX8 Crank Upgrade

OK Fuel guys...Ive searched to no avail and cant find the answers Im looking for. I have a '12 EX8, and want to upgrade the stock cranks to an SLX M670 or XT M780 with a bashguard in place of the big ring. Sorry for my newb'ness, please bear with me

First: Im not sure if the new cranks will be a drop in upgrade with the stock press fit bottom bracket. I assume they are? Also, the stock BB has a little over 200 miles on it at this point and not sure if the BB should be upgraded too? Would there be a benefit? Ive searched and cannot confirm whether or not the bike uses BB91, BB92 or BB95?

Second: I want to add a bashguard of some type in place of the big ring...Partly because I never use the big ring, but also for safety, because I dont want to stick the thing in my leg! I have read that its as simple as pulling the big ring and adding the correct size bashguard to cover the middle ring. Is that correct? Should I consider a chain guide of some type? Are there any other concerns I should look into when converting to a 2x setup (other than re-adjusting the FD)?

Third: I am upgrading because I want a stiffer crank, not necessarily lighter. Im a bigger guy at #240 and when I get out of the saddle and crank hard, I can feel the stock cranks flexing. So that being said, I wouldnt mind shedding as much weight as possible. The XT cranks are lighter than the SLX, but are they going to be as stiff?

Hope someone can answer my Q's, and offer advice that could be useful... thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I'm a even bigger guy than you at 310 6'2 and I would say the flexing you are feeling is more so the frame than the crank arms. If you really feel the need to upgrade I would go with the SLX. I think you can even find one that comes stock with the Shimano stock honeycomb chain ring guard. I have a set of Deore cranks on my commuter, SLX on my SC BLT, XT on my Remedy, and XTR on my EX9.9 Fuel and they all feel just as stiff as the next one with my fat butt. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't spend a ton of money and still have the same feel that you are having now. Good luck, upgradeitis is a true desease and I caution you of it because onece you have it, it's hard to get rid of it.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the advice bigpete! Ive seen the SLX 2x10 with the bashguard, and Im not really liking the way it looks. The bash ring looks kinda cheesy, and even though I dont plan on using it, the option of having the big ring if I want to add it back is something I like.

Still hoping for answers on the BB type...the '13 EX8 says its a BB95, so is it safe to say that the '12 is the same?

I have suffered from upgradeitis longer than I have been into mtb. My other OCD hobby is racing R/C cars, and Ive had hotrods and dirtbikes...Half the fun of any performance hobby/sport is making your ride unique and building it according to your likes/needs, right? My wife doesnt get it...lol

I chose the EX8 over the lower end models because I was happy with a majority of the included components, knowing there was some room for improvement. I have added Mavic Crosstrail wheels setup tubeless, Answer AM 720 carbon bars and Rove AM 70mm stem, VP 001 pedals, a WTB speed V saddle, and am experimenting with different tires (currently on Maxxis Ardent 2.2 rear, and WTB Weirwolf 2.3 front). There are a few other things I want to upgrade other than the cranks, biggest being a dropper post...but Im focusing on the drivetrain for now. Will add a pic of my bike once I figure out how to get it uploaded from my phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    Thanks for the advice bigpete! Ive seen the SLX 2x10 with the bashguard, and Im not really liking the way it looks. The bash ring looks kinda cheesy, and even though I dont plan on using it, the option of having the big ring if I want to add it back is something I like.

Still hoping for answers on the BB type...the '13 EX8 says its a BB95, so is it safe to say that the '12 is the same?

I have suffered from upgradeitis longer than I have been into mtb. My other OCD hobby is racing R/C cars, and Ive had hotrods and dirtbikes...Half the fun of any performance hobby/sport is making your ride unique and building it according to your likes/needs, right? My wife doesnt get it...lol

I chose the EX8 over the lower end models because I was happy with a majority of the included components, knowing there was some room for improvement. I have added Mavic Crosstrail wheels setup tubeless, Answer AM 720 carbon bars and Rove AM 70mm stem, VP 001 pedals, a WTB speed V saddle, and am experimenting with different tires (currently on Maxxis Ardent 2.2 rear, and WTB Weirwolf 2.3 front). There are a few other things I want to upgrade other than the cranks, biggest being a dropper post...but Im focusing on the drivetrain for now. Will add a pic of my bike once I figure out how to get it uploaded from my phone
    BB95 is the BB standard for 2012 EX. If you are worried about the bearings in your current BB, I would have your LBS swap out the bearings, most shops will do this if they have the Enduro removal tool, if not just buy new BB. Since you are a big guy I would stay away from ceramic and just get the standard Shimano BB.

If you do replace the BB look at doing it yourself, it's pretty easy, you can make your own BB press with a long threaded rod, washers, and nuts. To remove the cups all you need is park BBT90.
    Get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Mine's a 2010. I upgraded to XT cranks and kept the original BB, still smooth 3 years later. I did nothing more than remove the old cranks and slid the new cranks on and torqued them up. The first thing I noticed was the increase in stiffness.

mtbr member
    You need the BB SM91-41A bottom bracket, don't get the "B" because that is for a road bike.

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast