Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Updated ride

Hopefully more upgrades coming soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-p1030213.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    So.. how is it?? Pics!!??
    I haven't took it out on a trail yet. I will be riding tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

... and if we just ... Trek Fuel EX 8 2012 (my first "proper" mtb)

After a few months of forum scrolling and some nifty nigotiations with my LBS (and a cycle2work scheme certificate) I ditched my Raleigh "Deathtrap" AeroMax F18 and upgraded to a lovely Trek Fuel EX 8 (2012). She is a beaut!!

I have added a few handy upgrades (in my opinion) but nothing major.

Went Tubeless with Bonty Strips, Valves and Stands Sealant (Few school boys errors but got there after a few hours)

Black DMR v8 Pedals

RockGuardz CarbonFibre (real Carbon Fibre) down tube guard

MuckNutz FenderBender Front mud Guard - (UK company but I know they have just got a disty in the US)

Will soon be getting a Bionicon C-Guide V.02 too

Anywhooo I am stoked to be part of the Trek Fuel EX family!! Just wish my job involved MTB trails instead of sitting in a damn office!!

Peas n Gloves!!
    x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1790b.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1907b.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1911b.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1912b.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1913b.jpg  

Last edited by eddit84; 10-08-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: BitLy Links didnt work

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny scrolling though the pics how some use flats and some have clipless.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Dude flats and clipless are the same arent they?? You mean flats n clipped (SPDs?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bicycle pedal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The name dont seem to make sense but here is a link to clear it up
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My bad!! I shall stick to calling them SPDs. Anyway flats all the way for me, like to get a bit technical n throw the beast around, means i can get a foot down in the tight tight corners n adjust my weight on the pedals!!

mtbr member
    SPD is a type of "clipless" pedal. Flats are no clip whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    SPD is a type of "clipless" pedal. Flats are no clip whatsoever.
    yea I get it, never really heard the term clipless in the UK that much, everyone I know just calls them SPDs (I know they are a type of clipless) So I shall stick to calling them SPDs, Flats FTW!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea the term and deffinition is alittle contridicting.

I guess it just shows how versitile the Fuel EX is.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eddit84 View Post
    After a few months of forum scrolling and some nifty nigotiations with my LBS (and a cycle2work scheme certificate) I ditched my Raleigh "Deathtrap" AeroMax F18 and upgraded to a lovely Trek Fuel EX 8 (2012). She is a beaut!!

I have added a few handy upgrades (in my opinion) but nothing major.

Went Tubeless with Bonty Strips, Valves and Stands Sealant (Few school boys errors but got there after a few hours)

Black DMR v8 Pedals

MuckNutz FenderBender Front mud Guard - (UK company but I know they have just got a disty in the US)

Will soon be getting a Bionicon C-Guide V.02 too

Anywhooo I am stoked to be part of the Trek Fuel EX family!! Just wish my job involved MTB trails instead of sitting in a damn office!!

Peas n Gloves!!
    x
    Great bike and I like the upgrades.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i just got one of those and was bothered with the fit. is yours open at the top? mine could
    easily fit a coin into it and when i put it on then took it off it actually added scratches
    to my frame.

would love to hear from anyone else that has one and pics would be great.
    i can push on the top of mine and it lifts the bottom off the frame a bit.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey Antikid

I see what you mean. When I first put the RockGuardz on I was a little suss about it. Its not a perfect fit but in my opinion its perfect for the job. Did you get yours off eBay??

I know what you mean about the scratches and the gap (see the pics) but I purchased the lil bit of carbon fibre to protect the frame from stone chips and dents and its done this perfectly so far. There is a distinctive sound when riding fast descents of stones tapping the carbon fibre so its clearly doing its job very well.

As for the fit, I can only recommend pushing it as close to the BB as you possibly can. You are right that you can fit a coin (penny) in it JUST, but this doesn't bother me personally. Its easy enough to take off and clean under it after a muddy ride.

I would still recommend them to any rider. Pop some pics up of yours, maybe they sent the wrong one or maybe its on the wrong way ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1914.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-img_1920.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have been concidering one of those guards off ebay. But the $20 one. How is the fit on those?

Not sure what my next next upgrade will be. So far I have put on some slant 6 tires and went tubeless. I would like some SLX or XT brakes to replace the elixer 5's. The Elixers are ok just not alot of feel / modulation.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey Antikid

I see what you mean. When I first put the RockGuardz on I was a little suss about it. Its not a perfect fit but in my opinion its perfect for the job. Did you get yours off eBay??

I know what you mean about the scratches and the gap (see the pics) but I purchased the lil bit of carbon fibre to protect the frame from stone chips and dents and its done this perfectly so far. There is a distinctive sound when riding fast descents of stones tapping the carbon fibre so its clearly doing its job very well.

As for the fit, I can only recommend pushing it as close to the BB as you possibly can. You are right that you can fit a coin (penny) in it JUST, but this doesn't bother me personally. Its easy enough to take off and clean under it after a muddy ride.

I would still recommend them to any rider. Pop some pics up of yours, maybe they sent the wrong one or maybe its on the wrong way ;-)
    thanks a lot! guess i will save the hassle of returning it and just 2sided tape it on or something.
    yes i did get the same one you have from ebay. they were great about talking about my problems,
    and offered to inspect it and send another if it wasn't normal. but shipping it back and forth really sucks.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

Zaf
    mtbr member

O-ring's aren't at the top just yet because I hadn't hit the really technical stuff yet. Such an amazing bike to ride (also pulled off the plastic disc behind the rear cassette after the ride today, took me long enough).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    thanks a lot! guess i will save the hassle of returning it and just 2sided tape it on or something.
    yes i did get the same one you have from ebay. they were great about talking about my problems,
    and offered to inspect it and send another if it wasn't normal. but shipping it back and forth really sucks.
    Hey,

I don't think you'll need any tape on it unless you are really concerned about getting mud/water/dirt between it and the frame. Mine takes all the abuse I throw at it and required both hands to take it off with a good amount of strength.

The only thing I was considering was getting a really thin sheet of rubber and aralditing it to the inside of the guard.

Good luck, let me know how you get on with it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey,

I don't think you'll need any tape on it unless you are really concerned about getting mud/water/dirt between it and the frame. Mine takes all the abuse I throw at it and required both hands to take it off with a good amount of strength.

The only thing I was considering was getting a really thin sheet of rubber and aralditing it to the inside of the guard.

Good luck, let me know how you get on with it.
    i ended up using gorilla tape on the inside of the guard to keep scratches from happening during install/removal.
    put up some pics in a new thread here: Rock Guardz '12 Fuel EX-8 Frame Guard
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sum1noc View Post
    I haven't took it out on a trail yet. I will be riding tomorrow.

wooooow...awsomeeee.... can't wait to ride mine. Should arrive in 2 weeks now!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My Fuel EX did a little bit of everything this last weekend

Still my favorite bike

mtbr member
    May 2008

My Fuel EX

I had this bike a couple of years ago, loved it but eventually upgraded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-dsc04029.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Picotmc View Post
    wooooow...awsomeeee.... can't wait to ride mine. Should arrive in 2 weeks now!!!!!
    The 2013's look awesome!! My 2012 isn't bad but the new paint scheme is sick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    The 2013's look awesome!! My 2012 isn't bad but the new paint scheme is sick.

I disagree. I love my matte ti 2012! The new ones look boring to me. But I do like the new geometry!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great looking bikes here. I can't wait to post mine.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast