Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    you only run 5% sag? it doesnt feel too stiff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Its 15% .. typo... Sorry bout that... It roughly gives 20mm sag

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    oh okay haha, that makes more sense, i really want to try a 140mm but theyre expensive haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got it off a showroom bike.. take off, buyer got sid instead... Offer i coukdnt refuse... Juat got lucky i guess, ive seen 2011 talas's for a bargain around the net...

mtbr member
    Well after a little messing around I've finally got the chain noise to take a hike. There is one gear where it does grind but I can live with that. I changed my chain around from the standard chain that came with the bike to a SRAM PC991. Lots smoother and hardly any noise. Next I'll change the front derailleur to a Shimano XT then I think I'll be happy

mtbr member
    Well I pulled the trigger on a 2012 EX8 and I'm so excited! Now I have a question for all you other EX'ers. I ride in Florida and this bike is perfect here, but this summer I'm heading out west to Utah, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming for some serious biking and I was curious as to how well this bike will do in the mountains out there? I'm a small guy, 120 lbs or so, but I still can't help but wonder if I have enough suspension for some mild DH and drops?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I live in florida too, i have an ex6 and before i swapped my for with a TALAS, i did about 2-3 foot drops without problems... im 176lbs (182 with gear) and haven't had any issues with suspension...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinions View Post
    Well I pulled the trigger on a 2012 EX8 and I'm so excited! Now I have a question for all you other EX'ers. I ride in Florida and this bike is perfect here, but this summer I'm heading out west to Utah, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming for some serious biking and I was curious as to how well this bike will do in the mountains out there? I'm a small guy, 120 lbs or so, but I still can't help but wonder if I have enough suspension for some mild DH and drops?
    Hey there. I currently live in CO, and just moved here from Arizona and brought my Fuel EX 8 with me. I've only lived here a bit over a month, but so far my bike has handled just fine. I live in Fort Collins, and stuff up here can get pretty tech/rocky. The stuff in Wyoming is a little more flat and flowy, so that should be fine. The bike and suspension are actual perfect for me, but I have been riding mostly techy singletrack type stuff, and not any real downhil type stuff.

I have noticed a lot of people ride Remedy, so that might be a better option if your real desire is to point down. However for me, the bike is perfect for this type of riding. I've hard Utah can be a bit rougher, but not sure.

mtbr member
    Oh okay well thanks guys! Gives me more confidence in this bike!

I've also been thinking about how I'm going to use this bike out west maybe for a month every year or two, and up in North Georgia once every few months, and it seems like to purchase a more downhill oriented trail bike would be a a choice I would come to regret in the future especially since the trails I ride are almost all XC with a few downhill sections that last for only a few hundred feet. And the biggest drop I have in town is a 5 foot table top to a very steep slope.

Well just thinking about this makes me feel much better about my purchase. Now to stand the wait till it comes in!

Also:

This just gave me tons more confidence in the bike as well. Will throw some pics up when I get it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Hey there. I currently live in CO, and just moved here from Arizona and brought my Fuel EX 8 with me. I've only lived here a bit over a month, but so far my bike has handled just fine. I live in Fort Collins, and stuff up here can get pretty tech/rocky. The stuff in Wyoming is a little more flat and flowy, so that should be fine. The bike and suspension are actual perfect for me, but I have been riding mostly techy singletrack type stuff, and not any real downhil type stuff.

I have noticed a lot of people ride Remedy, so that might be a better option if your real desire is to point down. However for me, the bike is perfect for this type of riding. I've hard Utah can be a bit rougher, but not sure.
    I live in Utah and ride some pretty chunky trails here, in Colorado and in Idaho on my 2011 Fuel EX8 with no problems at all. Previously I was riding a 2010 Stumpjumper with 6 inches of travel and the only real difference I feel is easier climbing on the more technical trails and it's not quite as plush on some of the really technical sections, but that just makes me focus more on my technique and picking better lines.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ride some pretty technical terrain, rocks of all sizes, roots, small drops, table tops, etc. and it seems to handle everything just fine. I might not be able to keep up with the guys on their 6" travel bikes but its all good, this is my do everything bike. It handles pedaling fine which is what i like so much about it.

mtbr member
    The ex8 is the jack of all trades trail bike. It does everything really well. It's not going to climb like a hardtail and it's not going to decend like an all mountain but it will do both without much fuss. As long as you don't have the stock bontragers on the wheels you should have a great time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    The ex8 is the jack of all trades trail bike. It does everything really well. It's not going to climb like a hardtail and it's not going to decend like an all mountain but it will do both without much fuss. As long as you don't have the stock bontragers on the wheels you should have a great time.
    Any recommendations for a rear tire? I swapped out my front Jones XR for an XR4 which is amazingly better, but I still have the original Jones XR in the rear. Was thinking maybe a Maxxis Crossmark or Continental Trail King (2.2).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    continental x-kings 2.2 are really good, light and roll fast, not to mention tubeless ready

mtbr member
    Got my bike! Woot!

mtbr member
    First fs bike. I love it. '11 fuel ex 5
    Post Your FUEL EX  official post-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348549746.660761.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    2011 trek fuel ex 5
    evo mx-6 white flat pedals
    specialized clutch 2.3 front tire
    hutchinson toro 2.35 rear tire

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yeah that really doesn't make sense to me either. I thought the point of the 36 cog in the rear was to keep you from dropping to the granny gear as much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinions View Post
    Got my bike! Woot!

Those 2012 EX8's are just so sexy. Just needs a bit of dirt on it now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamxiv View Post
    continental x-kings 2.2 are really good, light and roll fast, not to mention tubeless ready
    Ahh, yes. Before reading this I had actually already picked up two of them, and will be setting my EX9 up tubeless today.

mtbr member
    I like how you went with the white pedals. Nice touch! :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    hey guys, Im wondering, do any of you have problems with the ABP nut coming loose? do you think its cause they arent torqued correctly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have had no issues with the ABP bolts. Are your lock tighted? If not try the loc tite blue.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I have had no issues with the ABP bolts. Are your lock tighted? If not try the loc tite blue.
    ill have to try that. i havent touched them since i got the bike other than when they get loose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just got my first 2013 Trek Fuel EX 8 bike today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sum1noc View Post
    I just got my first 2013 Trek Fuel EX 8 bike today

So.. how is it?? Pics!!??

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast