Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Fuel EX r (650b up front, 26 rear)

Velocity P35, 650b rim, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 Tire, 1/2" clearance in fork crown = smooth turns, easy rollover logs & rocks, stable front end. Slight rise in bottom bracket, not an issue. Fun Factor much higher through technical sections. I find I am carrying more speed in and through turns with less of a need to over steer or under steer to compensate for speed and fear of washout. I can point and shot through those turns, rock gardens and over logs like never before.... I wish I Bontrager made the FR3 in 650b then I would have the ultimate turning machine! As for climbing, no change... Still a great climbing machine. I recommend this setup!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-dsc02977-640x360-.jpg  

Post Your FUEL EX  official post-iphone-misc-photos-184-640x478-.jpg  

2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    Wow! Very unique setup. I'd love to try that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Some very nice treks on here..

Here is my project Trek fuel ex 9 in pearl white with custom decal.
    From stock the following been upgraded, basically every component.
    Stock weight was just under 29lbs

Bars Race face next carbon riser 31.8
    Stem easton ea90
    Grips kcnc Eva foam
    Shifters SRAM x0
    Brakes exilir cr carbon type
    Head set blue hope
    Head set washers Fsa lightweight carbon 20mm
    Forks Sid rlt3 2012 in white
    Kcnc ti abp type ultra light weight
    Hope floating rotors in red
    Rotor bolts ti gold
    Front mech shimano xt soon to be Xtr m971
    Rear mech Sram x0 carbon technology
    Kmc gold sl chain
    Kcnc blue ceramic jockey wheels
    Seat pin carbon race face next
    Seat qr hope blue awaiting delivery of a kcnc
    Saddle Carbon saddle 88 grams also a charge spoon saddle
    Crank xtr
    BB xtr
    Peddles Cnc Outland
    Rear shoc rp23
    Carbon rock guard
    Custom decal
    Bottle cage bolts ashima light weights gold bolts
    Wheels hope Evo pro 2hubs on dt Swiss spokes on mavic 717 xc rims
    Rubber swalbe Rocket Ron Evo also have a pair of racing Ralph's
    Continental supersonic inners light weight
    Full ti bolts in gold
    Weighs in at 24.58 lbs

Now for the latest pics...

Hope floating rotors in red
    Rotor bolts ti gold
    Front mech shimano xt soon to be Xtr m971
    Rear mech Sram x0 carbon technology
    Kmc gold sl chain
    Kcnc blue ceramic jockey wheels
    Seat pin carbon race face next
    Seat qr hope blue awaiting delivery of a kcnc
    Saddle Carbon saddle 88 grams also a charge spoon saddle
    Crank xtr
    BB xtr
    Peddles Cnc Outland
    Rear shoc rp23
    Carbon rock guard
    Custom decal
    Bottle cage bolts ashima light weights gold bolts
    Wheels hope Evo pro 2hubs on dt Swiss spokes on mavic 717 xc rims
    Rubber swalbe Rocket Ron Evo also have a pair of racing Ralph's
    Continental supersonic inners light weight
    Full ti bolts in gold
    Weighs in at 24.58 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Picked up my first MTB tonight

mtbr member
    Picked it up this Monday, after the factory Trek Store had to order the EX8

2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

mtbr member
    Nice first bike! Now take those reflectors off

Quote Originally Posted by chris268 View Post
    Picked up my first MTB tonight
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    These bikes are sexy. I just bought a 2012 ex 8 leftover. just dont have camera.

mtbr member
    Very nice bikes all. I've noticed, and am suprised, that a lot of people here don't use clip-ins with their Fuel EX. Curious as to why so many people are using platforms on a non-downhill bike. Not saying one is more right, but would just like to hear opinions.

I currently use clipins on my EX9 (Shimano SPD), but often wonder if i could attack some of the rougher stuff a bit harder if I had platforms and sticky shoes...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Your last sentence explains it all. I rode clipless on my EX8 until I moved to Colorado. The trails along the front range (at least where I am) are much more technical and I took a few nasty falls using the Caddies that came with the bike. I got some MG-1s and Teva Pinnars to allow rapid dismount while pushing myself to improve my skills. There is one OTB dismount I had during a downhill I don't even want to think about the possible consequences if I were clipless.

I put the Candies back on when riding flowing single track.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i dont have a problem with clipless pedals. i consider what I ride very technical with rocks, roots off camber sections, very skinny singletrack. Ill have to take some more pics next time. i do want to try flats though, im used to jumping with flats on my DJ so maybe riding with flats might be fun

although i have taken a few spills (including OTB) clipped in and it wasnt fun, i dont think being on flats would have changed anything though

mtbr member
    I've just bought myself a new Trek Fuel EX 6 2012. Love it although there are some teething problems. I'd post a picture but Photobucket seems to be playing up at the moment. I'll get one or two up once I can upload them.

@chris268: I very nearly bought the exact same one as you. If mine is anything to go by you'll love yours !

*Edit: Actually I thought this could be a good place to ask seeing it's it's about the Fuel EX range of bikes. My problem is as follows.

My front derailleur on my Fuel Ex 6 is making a lot of noise when riding (almost like a grinding sound). Now as far as I'm aware the chain is not touching it but it's very close to the derailleur. I took it back 24 hours later into the store where I'd bought it from. They took a look at it, had a quick mess around and said that it's normal.

Now I've not had a bike in some ten years and my last one never made this noise and nor does the Trek 4900 I bought for my partner at the same time. What can I do to try and sort out this problem ? It's really starting to grate on me when I'm riding

Thanks in advance for any replies
    Last edited by Mythril; 09-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythril View Post
    I've just bought myself a new Trek Fuel EX 6 2012. Love it although there are some teething problems. I'd post a picture but Photobucket seems to be playing up at the moment. I'll get one or two up once I can upload them.

@chris268: I very nearly bought the exact same one as you. If mine is anything to go by you'll love yours !
    I took it out the other day but not off road. Just getting a feel for the bike and it's awesome. First MTB and i don't really have anything to compare it to but i love it.

mtbr member
    Mythril, my ex8 makes no such sound and I haven't heard of anyone with an ex that had that problem. I'd either find a new shop or flip on your current one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have an EX6 and after riding on the trails, especially it's really dry, sand and dirt can get caught on a newly greased chain and cause grinding/noisy/chain. A quick wash with degreaser takes care of it.

Try this. RIde your bike and try to observe when the noise comes on, if it comes on during pedaling and goes away during freewheel then it must be something along the drive train. If it persists even during freewheeling, it might be the brake rotors rubbing, ive had a few friends with new bikes have rotor RUB for a few days, but goes away once the bike is broken into.

hope this helps

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys.

I've actually been up to the bike shop again today as it was driving me nut last night whilst having a ride out with the better half.

Anyway it's not been eliminated by any means but it's better. I did notice that the front derailleur on different versions of the EX line are bigger/wider than mine. The width on mine seems very small. I'm thinking that if it can't be eliminated 100% could I just buy say an Shimano XT front derailleur as they seem a lot wider than mine and replace it or do I have to start buying new shifters etc ?

Soon as I get to 10 posts I'll post a picture Thanks again for the tips guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @Mythril

I did swap out my stock DEORE front derailleur to an XT and compared to the stock, it was like night and day; quick response, smooth shifting, and most of all less noise!!

mtbr member
    Less noise - That's what I want to hear ! I take it if I bought one of these it will be ok with the rest of my gears ? I have 30 gears on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the XT front derailleurs are 35% off at JENSON, 40$ i believe, spend 10$ more on accessories and shipping is free! The derailluer wasnt that bad to install..

Shimano Deore XT M771 Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just got a used 2011 EX 8 and the bike is fantastic. I have been riding it for about 20 miles everyday and most of it is going back and forth from work. The only problem I have is that I keep getting flats and punctures from thorns. I have had the bike for about 5 days and I have already had 5 punctures.. and they are all from thorns in the trail/ road.

Can you please advise me on what I should do to prevent these punctures? I have already spent about $50 on tubes in the last week( I bought thorn resistant ones and they didnt work) and at this rate, I am going to be spending more than what I spent to buy the bike. Also, I have been considering going tubeless.. Does anyone have experience with tubeless tyres? Do they prevent punctures? and are they easier to ride?

mtbr member
    Go tubeless brother.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokytan View Post
    I just got a used 2011 EX 8 and the bike is fantastic.. Does anyone have experience with tubeless tyres? Do they prevent punctures? and are they easier to ride?
    You should have TLR rims already so you just need the strips from the Trek site. Make sure you also get the valve stems. Then all you need are a set of tubeless tires and some sealant and you will be good to go.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2011 ex6

NEW ADDONS

Chris King Headsets
    SLK Carbon low riser
    SLK Carbon Stem 90mm
    PRO Carbon seatpost
    Crank Brothers Iodine 2//
    Crank Brothers Mallet 2//
    AVID 185mm SX rotors Front/Rear
    AVID carbon R SLC hydro brakes
    Continental X-King 2.2 F/R tubeless
    Specialized BG seat
    2013 Fox Talas CTD 110-140mm
    XT crankset triple
    XT Front Derailleur
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your FUEL EX  official post-192831_478528362166298_611742005_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    how does it ride at 140mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

talas 140

I initially thought it would throw the.geometry off, but because of the SAG 5% the travel is really almost 130mm, once your in the trails 10mm is negligable, i love that i can dec the travel to 110mm when im on pavements and climbs (low front end = faster speed = less drag), CTD is awesome!!! Rides like a dream! Why didnt i switch earlier on...

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast