mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Please explain the bearing not seating problem....

for the newer fuel ex bikes. I may have the problem but am not sure. I seen to have developed the creaking and have narrowed it down to the ABP pivot. upon disassembly, the paint is worn away in the pivot and the bearings on both sides seem like they are not pressed fullu into the seat. They are however both pressed in equally. I would assume that there should not be paint to paint contact as this is generally prevented when bearing spacers or other methods are used. The Abp bolts are barely tight. and even tightening the quick release will get the rear to creak.

I guess I think that the "bread" pieces of the bearing sandwich will space the pivot properly if the bearings were pressed in further, but I may not be seeing the correct problem. Do others with the creaking have the paint wear at the Abp pivot?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i think most of the discussion regarding bearings not being fully pressed in (or even able to be fully pressed in) has focused on the EVO link, not the ABP pivot on the rear axle (i am sure i'll be corrected if i am wrong about that).

as far as the rear ABP pivot is concerned, i'd check that you have roughly equal spacing (between the bread slices so to speak) on each side. the seat stay and chain stay should not make physical contact.

also, check for dirt or grit on the quick release where the lever makes contact with the cam thingy (whatever it's properly called), and where the cam thing makes contact with the outer surface of the ABP pivot bolt.

i have been obsessed with a little bit of noise that may be coming from that area, not certain yet. i do think that if i go crazy tight with the skewar, then the noise is reduced. i have not yet dismantled that pivot point.

keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I believe the problem is in the pivot....

The evo link probem is that the bearing "seat" was bored out too deep and the washer sits too far into it and causes binding. The bearing not seating in the ABP is creating a situation where the "inside piece of bread of the sandwich" is not able to make proper contact with the bearing and therefore the spacing will not happen between the seat and chain stays. I just need to know from someone that has had this diagnosed at the shop to tell me what exactly this looks like. My bearings are pressed in equally but do not seem fully presed in so that if the Abp nuts are tight at all the seat/chainstays make contacts and creat like crazy. If the bearings were pressed in further the stays would space themselves when the bolt is tightened. I have an email in with Trek to help us solve this problem.

G

mtbr member

ABP Bearing

There is, was, an ABP bearing problem.
    My EX9.5 has the same issue you describe - creaking, paint chips and complete aluminum-on-aluminum contact at the pivot point. I actually disassembled the entire rear triangle just to confirm the ABP was the problem point.
    The bearing on the non-drive side is the problem side for me. I took it to the LBS and they tried to seat the bearing further, but it didn't solve the problem. I went back to the LBS and it's been well over a month now waiting for the replacement rear triangle. LBS said Trek told them it was shipped (two weeks ago) but it still hasn't come in. I called this past Monday and they said it would be here this week, for sure....

I hope you have better luck in getting yours fixed!

Members who have read this thread: 0