mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Picking up a new 2014 Fuel EX 8 tomorrow!

This is the first new bike I've purchased in probably 12 or 13 years. My last/current bike was a Psycle Werks Wild Hare that I built eons ago. I went from riding mountain bikes to riding and racing dirt bikes, so my bike just hung in the garage for several years. Well, I got the bug to start riding again a month or so ago and dusted off the bike. It only took a few rides to remember why I liked riding so much.

The Wild Hare was going to need some TLC and $, and I decided that the money would be better spent on an upgrade. The LBS had the EX-8 on sale for $1,999.99 with a gift card for $100 for accessories. I couldn't resist. They had to bring it from another store, so I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up. Can't wait to get it out on the trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sweet deal, man! Gives me hope that I'll find a deal like that when I get the cash saved up. Post some pics and a ride report when you get it. Those are great bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's a great deal. I got the exact same bike a little over a month ago. It has been great so far. You will enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congratulations! I too have the Fuel Ex8 and love it. Enjoy!

mtbr member

Picking up a new 2014 Fuel EX 8 tomorrow!

Congrats!!! I've had mine since November and love it.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Got my first ride in last night on the EX. I like this bike a lot compared to my old PW. The bike feels firm and planted. I need to play with the suspension a little to get it where I want it. Was kind of worried about the flickability being that it's a 29er, but it handled really well. The only thing I miss from the PW is the 22t granny gear. The EX has a 24t small chainring. This should become a non-issue as soon as I get my riding legs back. Heading back out this weekend for a longer ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
    Got my first ride in last night on the EX. I like this bike a lot compared to my old PW. The bike feels firm and planted. I need to play with the suspension a little to get it where I want it. Was kind of worried about the flickability being that it's a 29er, but it handled really well. The only thing I miss from the PW is the 22t granny gear. The EX has a 24t small chainring. This should become a non-issue as soon as I get my riding legs back. Heading back out this weekend for a longer ride.
    Nice one. The 24t is fairly standard so you'll get used to it. What do you think about the 3 x 10 setup? Reading other reviews I must be one of the only people that still prefers it. I had the 2 x 10 (38/24) on my previous bike and didn't like it much. With 3 x 10 I tend to live in the middle chainring 90% of the time and drop to the granny on tough climbs. The big ring only really gets used on the fire roads or on the streets riding to/from the trail. With the 2 x 10 I found the granny too low but the big ring too high. The 3 x 10 (42/32/24) suits me much better. Having said that I could probably go 2 x 10 with 32/24. 38/24 just wasn't right for me.

You will love the bike on a longer ride this weekend. I plan to take mine out for a 2-3 hour ride too. Hours of fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just got that same deal 2 weeks ago, couldn't pass it up. I actually bought the EX7 a week before that, but when they put up the EX8 for only 200 more, they let me swap it out. you're going to love it, it truly is an awesome bike.
    Still don't know what I'm going to do with the $100 of accessories though... hmm.