mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Picking up my new Cobia Sunday!

After a 17 year hiatus from riding, I decided that I want to get a new mountain bike and start riding again. I'm a little out of shape after a few years of little exercise, but I have quit smoking and it's time to bet my butt back in shape. I started looking at $500 - $600 bikes, but things started to snowball from there. I'm in my early 40's, not my mid-20's like I was when I rode a lot. I don't see myself riding as hard as I used to or racing much again, but i wanted a capable bike, just in case.

In the last couple of weeks I have ridden just about everything available in Metro Atlanta from $500 - $1500. I have looked at and ridden Treks, Cannondales, Giants, Specialized, Felt, Focus, Diamondback, Access, Rocky Mountain, Scott, GT, and anything else in that range.

I decided that at $1129 the 2013 Trek Cobia felt better than any of the others, gives me the best bang for my bucks, and is more than capable of handling my needs. I thought of getting the X-Caliber, but just can't justify the extra $400, especially since I need a car rack and all the related accessories to go with the bike.

I got notice this morning that Federal tax return was deposited into my account last night, which means that Sunday (my next day off) I can go to Atlanta Trek to pick up new ride and ally my accessories. My next day off after that is Wednesday, and I;m hoping for nice weather so that I hit the trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quit smoking and bought a Trek. 2 awesome decisions. Good luck. ^^

mtbr member

So my situation is similar....except I'm 48. I started in the $700 area and rode the Cobia just because they didn't have a mamba handy. I noticed the ease of shifting and the air shock. I am going to test three other bikes tomorrow, and if they don't feel as good...I'm going to probably pick up the Cobia listed at $1,149 at my lbs.
    any other bikes with an air shock that I should consider? The Cobia felt great.

mtbr member

I bought the Cobia last year. I felt it was the best in the price range. Air shock and 10 speed drivetrain put me over the edge. Only other bike I think competes in the price range is the airborne goblin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I bought the Cobia last year. I felt it was the best in the price range. Air shock and 10 speed drivetrain put me over the edge. Only other bike I think competes in the price range is the airborne goblin.

Thanks for the thoughts....did you get the one with red in it? Is it more crimson for you or scarlet (for my red raiders)?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts....did you get the one with red in it? Is it more crimson for you or scarlet (for my red raiders)?
    I did get the red one. I wasn't a fan of the color scheme but it has grown on me since I have personalized the bike. I like their darker color schemes better.

I would say it is in between red raider red and crimson red.

I love the bike though. It is a great bike for the money. I always recommend to Cobia owners to get new tires as soon as possible. The wire bead tires that come on them suck. Pick up a good Kevlar bead tire and you will be surprised at the difference.

mtbr member

BoomerBrian....are you running tubeless? I was reading about some parks in southern ok that are suppose to be good and then a big one near Norman.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    BoomerBrian....are you running tubeless? I was reading about some parks in southern ok that are suppose to be good and then a big one near Norman.
    Yep. I have been running tubeless for a season now with zero problems. I just used the stans conversion strips. I am running a Geax Aka on the back and a Geax Saguaro on the front.

I heard lake Murray near Ardmore has some really good trails. I am going to try and get down there this year.

The trails in Norman is called Clear Bay. They are pretty good. Ticks got bad last year so I stopped riding there. I usually ride at the draper lake trails in okc.

mtbr member

Rode the Cobia and the cannondale sl2 at two different dealers. Slight advantage to the Cobia. Geometry seemed to fit me better. It's also $1129 vs the sl2 at $1199. I am going to ride them one more time tomorrow side by side (my lbs actually sells both)....but I'm pretty sure I will go with the Cobia. The lbs couldn't find info anywhere on the white with red and black....odd

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I picked up the Cobia and related accessories yesterday afternoon from Atlanta Trek. I had to work today and will be working tomorrow also, but Wednesday I will be off and the weather is supposed to be 64 and sunny. It sounds the perfect chance to take it on its maiden ride.