mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Palomino Race - Squaks like a duck

My Palomino Race squaks like a wounded duck. I think it's in the linkage somewhere but it resonates through the frame. I can bounce on the seat, no sound, jump and down on the pedals, no sound... sit on the seat and apply pressure to the pedals,,, CCRRREEEEEEAAAK!

What's up?! Anyone else come acorss this? Do I need to take it apart and rebuild? Could it be bushings?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickedPalomino
    My Palomino Race squaks like a wounded duck. I think it's in the linkage somewhere but it resonates through the frame. I can bounce on the seat, no sound, jump and down on the pedals, no sound... sit on the seat and apply pressure to the pedals,,, CCRRREEEEEEAAAK!

What's up?! Anyone else come acorss this? Do I need to take it apart and rebuild? Could it be bushings?
    It could be almost anything. I'd check the seat rails, the nut that holds the rear cassette (creaks if loose and mostly while pedaling) and your bottom bracket.

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004

Try throwing bread crumbs at it.

In all seriousness though, grease everything, including the seatpost. You've probably washed out some of the grease in the bottom bracket its been a rainy season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

First of all try to clean and lube seatpost, then lube the place when cables of read deraileur contact swing arm. It took me several weeks to discover this source of noice. I always suspected pivots, but they were never culprits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My brother had similar problem. We thought it was his seatpost down to the crank and even the bottom bracket. Whenever he pedaled it creaked. The solution given to him from a reputable bike shop was to grease the seat rails of the saddle. Who would have ever thought. Don't worry about slippage, it doesn't happen.