mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Palomino Bushing removal/Stop Creaking

I own a 2003 Klein Palomino. Is the hex bolt on the front bushing reverse threaded? I attempted to remove it by turning it counter-clockwise. It turned a few revolutions with much resistence, and then would not turn any more. I am reluctant to use too much force to remove it. Any suggestions? I was able to remove the rear bushing without any trouble.

I am getting a creaking noise under heavy pedalling and am attempting to clean all the parts. Any suggestions on stopping the creaking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nope.

It's regular right hand threaded. Tho there's loctite on it. Just get 2 longer 5mm allens. Should be able to pop that guy out.

about the creaking, it can be almost anything, in order of complexity to fix: rear dropouts, tighten cleats on shoes, lube cleats and pedal surfaces, loose pedal, grease pedal spindles, crank bolts, greasing crank/spindle interface, removing the bb and cleaning and regreasing that..

after all that i'd take out the bushings. :P

or you can also buy Maverick's monolink, while you are taking out your bushings. might as well.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Also, try and check for bushing play. Grab the seat and the rear triangle (not the wheel because you don't want your wheel to axle as part of the equation.)
    Push away on the seatpost and pull towards you on the rear seat stay, then chain stay and check for bushing play.
    If you replace your bushings remember to tighten pretty close to spec. If you over compress them they will wear out faster or you could wind up with metal to metal and war out something you don't want to. There have been Fuel owners that have tightened down on there bushings to make up for play in bushings that were worn down and wore the bores out. I don't know of any incidence in your model bike.