mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Outboard Bearings = Impossible to Adjust Front Derailuer?

On my GF Cake 3 DLX, I changed from a Race Face Evolve crankset to a Shimano LX M580 with the outboard bottom bracket. Now neither my LBS nor I can get the front derailuer to dial in. At this point, I'm only able to use either the two large chainrings or the two small ones, but not all three. Has anyone faced this problem? I'm not a whiz at gear adjustments-- and, believe me, I've spent a lot of time on this-- but my local shop is stymied as well. With the new crank, I am using a spacer on the right crankarm, which allows the inner and center chain rings to be engaged. Without the spacer, I can access the center and outer rings. So, aside from stating the obvious, which is that I'm an idiot, what is the problem here? H.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hmmm...I'm running the Bontrager badged Truvative Fire crank with the external bearing (GXP) BB on my Cake 2DLX. I haven't had any issues at all with the shifting on all 3 rings. Granted, the FD is fairly close in (I've got the room for a 2.4" rear tire in the frame, but can't run one unless I dish the rear because of clearance for the FD).

I'd be wondering about the derailleur throw and the spacing / offsets on the rings. Which derailleur are you running and any idea as to the distance between the outer and inner rings?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    with your mech taken off the cable, does the shifter on its own manage to shift through 3 gears? i.e. is your shifter OK?

with the mech off the cable and the stops fully wound out - can the mech physically shift across all 3 rings?

With the cable totally detached, can the cable shift smoothly through the cable outers?

All i'm getting at is i think you need to break it down into the individual parts of the system and check they work as they should on their own before addressing the whole lot as a single unit.

Double-metric mtb man
    Good on you DBF....that's where I was starting to lead with my post.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions, gents. I'm grateful for the replies. I'll let you know how/when I resolve this. H.