mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Original Bontrager XR4 Team Issue from Trek Fuel EX9 2012 TLR or not?

I'm trying to convert my wheels to tubeless with no luck. I've got the Bontrager rimstrip, sealant and NoTubes valve. The rim is Bontrager Rhythm Elite and the tire RX4 Team Issue.

Air is leaking between the tire and the rim and evenly around both wheels.

It seems that some of the 2013 XR4 tires are TLR and some aren't. Bontrager: XR4 Team Issue (Model #11643)

So can anyone tell is my tires from the Trek Fuel EX9 2012 TLR or not? On the tire there is nothing that says it is TLR/Tubeless/UST.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Original Bontrager XR4 Team Issue from Trek Fuel EX9 2012 TLR or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Smove View Post
    I'm trying to convert my wheels to tubeless with no luck. I've got the Bontrager rimstrip, sealant and NoTubes valve. The rim is Bontrager Rhythm Elite and the tire RX4 Team Issue.

Air is leaking between the tire and the rim and evenly around both wheels.

It seems that some of the 2013 XR4 tires are TLR and some aren't. Bontrager: XR4 Team Issue (Model #11643)

So can anyone tell is my tires from the Trek Fuel EX9 2012 TLR or not? On the tire there is nothing that says it is TLR/Tubeless/UST.
    If there is no "TLR" label, it is not TLR.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    it may not be TLR, but you shoudl be able to get it to work. Air it up with sealant and do the NoTubes shake until it stops. Even some TLR tire need this done. I.E. new continental RaceSport series.

mtbr member
    If it's not a TLR tire, the rimstrip might not be thick enough to let the bead set in the wheel.

You could try to add a layer of Stan's yellow rim tape to see if it helps seat the bead. Or sell them and buy the TLR version. Or just run tubes until you need new tires. :/
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    My 29-4 took a bit more Stan's.

After initially mounting/checking bead/shaking/etc...SOP, I too kept noticing fluid at the rim/bead. I kept the tire pumped up pretty high to try and get it to set.

At the end of day two it was still leaking down, so I opened it back up, noticed the sealant had diminished significantly, and put another scoop and a half of Stan's in.

Since then all is well. It's a large volume tire that probably requires a bit more goo to seal up properly.
    maladroitus extraordinairus

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ditto what he said ^.
    When I do an initial mount and seal of the non-tubeless tires, especially 29" tires, I use 2 scoops of Stans.
    I also make sure to inflate the tire until the bead does that final SNAP in to place all around the rim. If you don't go to 50-60psi at least once they won't snap in everywhere.
    Soapy water is a MUST for getting that part to work well....make sure your tires are fully snapped in to place by carefully checking all the way around the rim on both sides to ensure that the molding line is uniformly spaced all around...

If you are using BONTRAGER's sealant, I have no experience with that and it may not work as well as Stans does. This because it's not intended to seal their non TLR tires in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been running tubeless using the XR4 expert (not TLR) for a year now on duster rims, bontrager tlr strips and stans valves and the bontrager sealant (1 small bottle per tire) w/ no issues. Air was leaking on the rims initially like you mentioned.

You have to shake the tires quite a bit and ride the bike for at least a couple of blocks so the sealant spreads out properly as well as help the tire seat properly on the rims..

You may also try installing your tire w/ tubes and ride it for a few days then convert it to tubeless.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Same problem with my non-TLR XR4's on Duster rims. Lots of Stan's seeping out the sidewalls. Took quite a bit of shaking but they eventually sealed up. Riding will also help.

They came stock on my Remedy and I thought I would hate them. Turns out they're pretty sweet tires.

I also had good success with a Maxxis Aspen. Mounted perfectly on my Dusters with no problems.

mtbr member
    While We're on the Subject of XR4/29-4 Tires...

Or "Why I Circumcised My Tire"

Let me start by admitting I'm not a finesse guy.

I picked a 29-4 up for my front expecting great things. The tire looks like it means business. It's big, fat, has a well designed center tread, burly, well-supported side knobs, with lots of mid-size transitional knobs in between. It rolls pretty good for it's size and is a reasonable weight for an all-mountain/trail type tire. But after riding it for a couple of months, in my opinion it just didn't seem to work as well as it should have on the(So-Cal) twisty, scrabbly, loose over hard-pack stuff that I'm riding these days. Stuff that I thought this tire would shine in. My problem was that in loose, hard cornering, or off-camber stuff, it gave little or no warning before letting go, and when it did let go, the side knobs didn't seem to want grab whether I leaned it or backed off.
    It wasn't awful, I've just had other tires that performed noticeably better.

After much playing with air pressure, rolling along staring at my tire and it's footprint, and contemplation, it dawned on me that the problem seemed to be in the spacing of the transitional tread. So I decided to trim off half of them. Using a sharp razor knife I removed the non-siped transitional blocks(every other block) on both sides. I'm not sure if it would matter much if I went the other way and removed the siped blocks, but that's what I did.

I should have saved all the blocks and weighed them. I'm sure I removed a significant amount of rotating weight. It also opened up the tread and looked right off like it was going to do the trick.

And it did. Several rides in and this is now my favorite front tire. It still rolls nicely, actually steers quicker(?), and holds in leany/off-camber, switchbacks and turns. When it does start breaking loose, a little more lean and the side knobs now dig right in.

When I replace this tire I'm getting another 29-4, and I'm trimming it before I even take it out.
    maladroitus extraordinairus