Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Options on this Deal

Afternoon all, I hate to create a separate thread to obtain opinions on deals at the LBS so maybe this can become somewhat of a catch all spot to share and advise others on when and when not to pull the trigger.

The motivation for this post was spurred yesterday after my ride when I stopped by a nearby shop I had never visited before. As background, I'm currently riding a '99 8900 Hardtail in 18.5". (Recent pic below)

Walking in I hoped they'd have a '15 SuperFly FS or Fuel EX they may be willing to work on to make room for the '16s. I'd love a '16 EX 9 but if I can save some cash I'll jump on it.

They had a '14 SuperFly FS 8 in 19.5" that fit like a glove and has been a demo. Now having been out of the game the last fifteen years I'm not quite sure to the extent a demo gets abused but it is in like new shape. I assumed it was new before he mentioned the word demo.

Was told I could have it for $567 off of MSRP so a lil over $2200 for Fox front and rear, full SLX, etc. Being now two model years removed this struck me as high then again I'm unsure if there was any changes between the '14 and '15 SuperFly FS frames and shock technology.

As for the components, I'm not much taking them into consideration as my plan would be to go 1x11 in XTR Di2, XT, or SRAM.

My question to you, (1) is there that difference between years and (2) if purchases would I be starting off too far behind the technology line? I know it's relative considering I'm on a '99 now but curious nonetheless. If your opinion is I could squeeze a '15 out of their warehouse for close I'd do that.

Current...

Options on this Deal-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440180498.334596.jpg

The prospect...

Options on this Deal-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440180522.212982.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    As far as I'm aware there were no superfly fs in 2015 so this is the end of an era as the top fuel is back for 2016. That being said I'd still think that 2200 is a little high for a 2014. Depends what they have fixed/replaced since it was a demo

mtbr member

Options on this Deal

Quote Originally Posted by N_E_X View Post
    As far as I'm aware there were no superfly fs in 2015 so this is the end of an era as the top fuel is back for 2016. That being said I'd still think that 2200 is a little high for a 2014. Depends what they have fixed/replaced since it was a demo
    I found a '15 FS 8 in inventory and the archives. Had blue accents instead of the zombie green. But nice to see my initial reaction wasn't fueled by greed and it actually is a lil high.

Options on this Deal-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440181731.080598.jpg

I would simply save more and wait for an EX 9 but my back may push an upgrade a lil faster leading to this option. I know the easy route is to modify the fit on my 8900 but first can only do so much and secondly it was a gift from Trek so trying to keep it as equipped for nostalgia.

I'll ponder it more as I pay off my last credit card. If it's still there, I may offer $1800 and see if they laugh or come down to a more reasonable level. As I said, the components would be replaced anyways so that'll just be extra funding to divert to the new group.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    1800 would be really low for them unless there was damage already. You might be able to pull a deal if you rip parts off the bike you don't want. They might want them as replacements or shop stock if they are new (replaced parts)

mtbr member
    1800 would be really low for them unless there was damage already. You might be able to pull a deal if you rip parts off the bike you don't want. They might want them as replacements or shop stock if they are new (replaced parts)
    Good idea. Ask em to keep the brakes, derailleurs, shifters, crank/BB, and cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Basically you remove the groupo

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    The price seems a bit steep. If your kit is as old as your current bike, you could try to get some nice new shoes, clothing or helmet out of the deal. :-)

Talking about upgrades: You'd get much more performance from the bike from tuning the basic Evolution fork and damper, or a wheel upgrade, than upgrading the groupset. So i'd leave the SLX on the bike and spend my money elsewhere.

What's the intended use of the bike?
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by de lars cuevas View Post
    The price seems a bit steep. If your kit is as old as your current bike, you could try to get some nice new shoes, clothing or helmet out of the deal. :-)

Talking about upgrades: You'd get much more performance from the bike from tuning the basic Evolution fork and damper, or a wheel upgrade, than upgrading the groupset. So i'd leave the SLX on the bike and spend my money elsewhere.

What's the intended use of the bike?
    Ha! The kit is all nice and new. Loving my baggies from Fox!

I'll see if maybe $2000 would be acceptable. I noticed they have a 2015 Fuel EX discounted $600 so I'll see if I can get an extra $200 pulled given its an extra year older.

As far as upgrading, I had in mind the group (Di2, XT, or SRAM, all 1x11), wheels, rubber (love my Maxxis), and saddle (always used SDG).

The use would be XC/trail use in Oklahoma with heavy rooted areas and some rocky in the SW corner of the state. Planning to venture back to Aspen as well and finally try Moab and Arizona.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since you've been out awhile here's some updating info.
    The fs Superfly has become uncompetitive in its segment because of 450mm chainstays when others are 435mm and more playful. The Top Fuel has the shorter geo. It also has Boost 148 rear spacing and 110 front, Trek's new standard. Same for the Fuel Ex8 and above plus a specially tuned Penske designed Fox shock.
    The damper on the fs fork is rudimentary and many riders have got a deal from Fox to replace it with a FIT version. Only a FIT4 damper is used in Fox forks for 2016.
    I would work on a deal for a 2016 Fuel Ex8 for a long-term bike. And only a manager can work with you on a discount. Sales guys are trained to tell you the price is set. Ain't true, but only person with power to change is a manager. Shop other shops to get one to work with you. I went to 6 to find two guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Since you've been out awhile here's some updating info.
    The fs Superfly has become uncompetitive in its segment because of 450mm chainstays when others are 435mm and more playful. The Top Fuel has the shorter geo. It also has Boost 148 rear spacing and 110 front, Trek's new standard. Same for the Fuel Ex8 and above plus a specially tuned Penske designed Fox shock.
    The damper on the fs fork is rudimentary and many riders have got a deal from Fox to replace it with a FIT version. Only a FIT4 damper is used in Fox forks for 2016.
    I would work on a deal for a 2016 Fuel Ex8 for a long-term bike. And only a manager can work with you on a discount. Sales guys are trained to tell you the price is set. Ain't true, but only person with power to change is a manager. Shop other shops to get one to work with you. I went to 6 to find two guys.
    Thanks for the info. It was easier as a true beginner to absorb all new information. Now, I've got years to make up understanding the evolution of design and technology.

I did receive an e-mail from them. I guess this bike in question was a replacement to another demo they had. This one apparently has never been beyond the parking lot and that's only been a few occasions. They wouldn't discount on price removing the components group, but offered an allowance for replacement items purchased through them.

My heart and mind say to pass and just focus on what I was initially drawn to of the 2016 offerings with the EX 9 or Top Fuel 9. My back and wallet say take the jump to eliminate the pain on both lol.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Much better plan, the new ex is going to be a killer bike and the new top fuel will be interesting...

mtbr member
    Much better plan, the new ex is going to be a killer bike and the new top fuel will be interesting...
    $2000 more but up to date geometry, updated Fox equipment, Sram wheels, and a 1x11 setup from the box. Definitely a much more efficient plan with just the tires, saddle and grips being replaced.

Love the SuperFly FS model but if I'm going to get another 17 years out of a bike it might as well not be behind the curve from the beginning.

At Work
    I got a 2015 EX9 27.5 back in April. LISTED FOR $4299.00 you can get the 2015 EX9 27.5 or 29er for $3499.00 right now, They still have stock left and the 16s are out,
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

cnk
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Go with the newer bikes. The 2016's are out and Trekfest discounts are going on right now until the end of the month. I'm also coming back after 14 years. Had my eyes on a Fuel EX 8 29er, but decided to go with the Remedy 8 29er instead. Should be here by end of next week. You get a $200 Trek gift card for any bike over $2k that can be used for Bontrager gear. Probably your best bet at any kind of discount on the 2016 models.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cnk View Post
    Go with the newer bikes. The 2016's are out and Trekfest discounts are going on right now until the end of the month. I'm also coming back after 14 years. Had my eyes on a Fuel EX 8 29er, but decided to go with the Remedy 8 29er instead. Should be here by end of next week. You get a $200 Trek gift card for any bike over $2k that can be used for Bontrager gear. Probably your best bet at any kind of discount on the 2016 models.
    If you work at it you can get a 'manager only' to discount 15% + possibly 3% for cash. I checked 6 to find 2.

cnk
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you work at it you can get a 'manager only' to discount 15% + possibly 3% for cash. I checked 6 to find 2.
    Yeah. . .I heard that some managers may budge a bit on price, but no luck on any of the shops around me. I did manage to get lifetime free tune-ups on the bike and no labor charge to convert to tubeless (just paid for the valve stems and sealant). It was my first time dealing with this LBS so I'm looking at it as building a relationship with them for future purchases and hopefully discounts.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll check around and basically "bid" the 15% out. If I have to drive a bit to find one that's fine as I use one of the local mechanics I trust on the side.

For the EX 9 that'd take it from $3999 to $3478 which is much more palatable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Thanks. I'll check around and basically "bid" the 15% out. If I have to drive a bit to find one that's fine as I use one of the local mechanics I trust on the side.

For the EX 9 that'd take it from $3999 to $3478 which is much more palatable.
    Good luck getting a deal like that on a brand ne 2016 Fuel EX9
    Most LBS can only discount off what they have bought into the bike for.
    They buy into less they can discount it more.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Good luck getting a deal like that on a brand ne 2016 Fuel EX9
    Most LBS can only discount off what they have bought into the bike for.
    They buy into less they can discount it more.
    Drats. I'm gonna try shrinking to better fit my 8900 lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Doesnt have to be the newest bike out there right?
    Have you looked into the clearance models of the 2015 fuel ex's? Trek had on website a week or two back with 20% off "RRP"

When I purchased my superfly 5 awhile back, I got quite abit off the RRP... i budged for more but was a no go, ended up however scoring pedals, lights, seat bag, bottle holder all for around half price ... so i ended up spending more at the shop but i did save on other things i would have bought anyways.
    And since then i've gotten good discounts on everything and anything ive bought or had done to my bike.. and talks of a good discount on 2016 bikes when i make my mind up.

mtbr member

Options on this Deal

Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    Doesnt have to be the newest bike out there right?
    Have you looked into the clearance models of the 2015 fuel ex's? Trek had on website a week or two back with 20% off "RRP"

When I purchased my superfly 5 awhile back, I got quite abit off the RRP... i budged for more but was a no go, ended up however scoring pedals, lights, seat bag, bottle holder all for around half price ... so i ended up spending more at the shop but i did save on other things i would have bought anyways.
    And since then i've gotten good discounts on everything and anything ive bought or had done to my bike.. and talks of a good discount on 2016 bikes when i make my mind up.
    Not at all. Tomorrow I'm going to inquire about what they'd do to clear a '15 EX 7 out of the back room.

Options on this Deal-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440332269.852842.jpg

If they can offer a decent number on the EX 7 I'd snag it up then work on exchanging/crediting the components for 1x11 XT or SRAM and work a set of XT/XTR pedals into it.

mtbr member
    Noticed on Trek's site they're advertising the EX 7 27.5 at $2149.99 with the MSRP for both it and the 29er being $2629.99. So a little over 20% off. If they'll let go of their remaining 29er variant I'll grab it and enjoy the systematic upgrading I did as a beginner the first time.

The $200 Bontrager credit would be nice too despite not really needing anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Noticed on Trek's site they're advertising the EX 7 27.5 at $2149.99 with the MSRP for both it and the 29er being $2629.99. So a little over 20% off. If they'll let go of their remaining 29er variant I'll grab it and enjoy the systematic upgrading I did as a beginner the first time.

The $200 Bontrager credit would be nice too despite not really needing anything.
    You better ride that 15 if you are considering one. The better geo, Boost axle standard and much better shock of a 16 EX8 would be more than I could pass up. It's also a better deal than the 16 EX9, imo.

mtbr member

Options on this Deal

You better ride that 15 if you are considering one. The better geo, Boost axle standard and much better shock of a 16 EX8 would be more than I could pass up. It's also a better deal than the 16 EX9, imo.
    Coming from a '99 Hardtail with was preceded by a Y11 the '15 EX 7 in a better matched (relaxed) size would be a different world. Considering the decrease of the financial impact, is there anything on the '16s I'll truly miss when I don't know what I'm missing? Considering the divorce a couple months back, I was fortunate to keep my truck much less have an opportunity of a new bike with the '15 lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride one and see. You keep bikes awhile too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast