Lazy People Suck

Which One: EX8 or EX9

I am pretty seriously considering buying a new Trek EX and have narrowed my choices to the EX8 and the EX9. The EX8 probably makes the most sense as the price jumps pretty significantly when you go to the EX9, but am trying to decide if the upgrades are significant enough to warrant the price increase.

I probably would not want to change travel on the fork and am pretty much a "figure the settings out initially and don't mess with it too much after that" so added adjustability of the EX9 Fox is not a deal breaker

I am a SRAM fan, so the X9/XO drivetrain combo appeals to me more than the LX/XT combo on the EX8, but there is only so much more that I am willing to pay for that.

I guess the big quesiton mark is how much of an upgrade are the wheels by going from the EX8 to the EX9?

I would appreciate any thoughts.
    Last edited by Fett; 08-08-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    I think I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. First off, I had the same question last year and was thinking of buying when the 2007 models came out. Then had a few things happen which prevented the purchase last year. I think with the new design, that might have been a good thing though. Have to wait to try one out though...

Anyway, last year I think the difference between the EX 8 and 9 was only about $4-500 though. This year, it looks like it's about $1000. This will be my first full suspension bike but I'd think I'm pretty much a set and ride type of person like you. That said, the RP2 in the rear still has a pro-pedal/lockout for long climbs. No travel adjust on front but I'm not too worried about that either.

In the end, I'm having trouble justifying an extra $1000 to go up to the EX-9 and will likely stick with the 8.

mtbr member
    I think the $1000 spread is a bit much. Too bad there's nothing in between but how many bikes can they manage in their lineup?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the EX8 and upgrade the wheels. My guess is that your LBS will give you a credit for the stock wheels and it will cost around $300-$400 to upgrade to Race Lites with the credit for the Race wheels. You still save $600-$700 over the price of an EX9 and you shave weight. I upgraded the wheels on my 07 EX8 to Race X Lites for around $600 and it was the best upgrade I could have made. Just my 2C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    I think the $1000 spread is a bit much. Too bad there's nothing in between but how many bikes can they manage in their lineup?
    I was just looking and it appears that putting the EX-9 in the middle is exactly what they've done... It's half way between the EX-8 and the 9.0. As you've said though, would be nice to have one between the the 8 and 9. RP23 and Talas would be nice but how necessary? XT cranks to me would be one of the major benefits as well as the lighter wheelset.

Anyway, EX-8 it will likely be depending on how the new suspension rides.

Any idea how the Race Discs would compare in weight to a set of Mavic Cross Rides or the Race Lites?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There's not much of a weight difference, if any, between the Race and the Race Light wheels. The Race Lights have better hubs, though they aren't lighter hubs. Check the weight spec on the bontrager site. If you got the 8, maybe you could upgrade the shifters to the new XT that have the ability to thumb-thumb shift like SRAM.