eat your porridge jordie

Older Trek 8500?

I'm wondering how these bikes are regarded. I'm looking at a '98 Trek 8500. It's listed as having a RaceFace crank, XTR-SGS rear derailleur, XT front der, and XT brakes/levers. Looking up specs online it looks like it has a Manitou SX-R fork, and Bontrager rims. From the pics online it looks a little beat up but it's listed as being in good condition. If the frame is a good size for me and I can snag a good deal on it, I may look at picking it up.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

All 26.5" all the time!
    First year for the welded construction, those frames were quite light. My '98 8900 frame tipped the scales at 3.2 lbs (18").

They were also known to fail at the right chainstay/BB junction. The later models had a gusset in that location.

eat your porridge jordie
    Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be sure to check out that area to make sure there are no structural failures. The bike is in a town 100 miles from me, so hopefully I'll be able to grab it before its sold.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"