mtbr member

New question here. Old Trek 9200 Price?

My boss is trying to get rid of an old '94 Trek 9200. He is not into bikes, his dad gave it to him when he was done with it. He wasn't even planning on selling it really, but I saw it in his garage and asked him about it later. I was kind of hoping that since he doesn't ride at all, he would just say $50 or something, just to clean out the garage. But instead, when I ask him how much he wants for it, he keeps telling me that he needs to find out what it is worth. I have no idea what it is worth, I can hardly find out anything about this bike, except that it was a pretty high model at the time. I want it as a project bike, so I can strip it down, sandblast it and repaint it, put in some new components, etc. But I don't want to spend more than like $100-$150 on this bike. Does this seem fair? I want to have some kind of ballpark price to go with here. If he wants more than that, I am going to have to turn him down, and this thing will probably sit in his garage for 13 more years, until it rots.

Oh, and I am asking because he keeps forgetting to research the price, and I am tired of waiting on him...

It looks kinda like this one below, but this is a 9500, with the Carbon swingarm. The 9200 is a black/purple frame with an aluminum swingarm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If he asks more than....

$100 for it, walk away! The 9200 is a VERY dated design. The last time I saw a 9200 go for anything was back in 03. A guy dropped $450 on one, mostly due to nostalgia and a brain cramp!!! And that bike was in excellent condition. The bike is 13 years old for crying out loud!!! This ain't rocket science and it's not like it's a car. I doubt any LBS on the planet would give him more than $25 or $30 for it on a trade in it, if that. Some of the Walmart junk that they're selling now uses better technology than the 9200 did, not much better, but.... He should be paying you to take it!

Anyway, I'd offer him 100. If he says no then walk, it ain't worth it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks. I was a bit worried, because I saw a 9500 on eBay for $500, and a 9200 on craigslist for the same.

And I do realize it is pretty dated. But I need something to tinker on.

mtbr member
    But instead, when I ask him how much he wants for it, he keeps telling me that he needs to find out what it is worth. I have no idea what it is worth, I can hardly find out anything about this bike, except that it was a pretty high model at the time.

It's worth exactly the amount someone is willing to pay for it. If you are willing to pay $50 than it's worth $50, no a cent more nor less.

I'd offer him $50, if that's what you think is a fair price, and if he says no then just let him keep looking for someone else. If a week goes by and you still really want it then offer $55.

If he starts to get desperate and asks you if you still want it, tell him yea, but for $45.