mtbr member
    Nov 2011

oil leak from rear shock schrader valve?

I was putting some air into my Fox shock today. When I unscrewed the pump some oil squirted out the valve into the shock pump connector. This has never happened before. The shock seemed to work fine. The shock is still under warranty for about a month. Anyone heard of this. The shock is a DCRV Fox RP2
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I know in certain forks/shocks that the air 'canister' is lubed with a oil/grease type product which will slowly be squirted out as you remove the pump. It is about half way in consistency between an oil and a grease, and keeps the o-rings from sticking and the air from leaking.

If what seems to be coming out is oil....like in a thin chain lube type liquid then its possible that this could be the damping oil which is migrating through the seals into the air chamber. At the least this would mean the fork is due for periodic service.....it would need to be returned to place of purchase.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea it seemed to be more oil like. I Beleive it is still under warranty. The bike was purchased last christmas. I will give Fox a call or call my LBS. When the shock went in for warranty work shortly after owning it the shop had me go through fox directly.....faster service.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Update: Called Fox and they said that was normal. Since then no issues and shock performs just fine.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon