mtbr member
    Jun 2006

NOS '01 Adroit vs' 01 Attitude vs '05 Attitude?

Friends, recently got the bug to ride again. Still have my trusty Pulse race which is like new, but I want a new toy. Have found the above frames and curious on your thoughts. This is a weekend bike, nothing serious - road/trails. Thanks!

BTW - are the adroit/attitudes a meaningful upgrade from the pulse? Also, what do you guys think is a fair price for the above NOS frames? APPRECIATE IT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    IMO for road and trails you might not really notice the diffrence between the Models, but for real Offroad use those NOS frames might be almost too nice.
    Even though all your Models are "post-Trek".

I always felt that the adroit was a little stiffer and more direct or agile to me, but not like they're worlds apart.

If you have a Pulse Race than those were made by Trek anyway with no Gradient Aluminum, if memory serves me right, should also have some "not so nice welds".
    So, yeah, maybe you might notice the difference.

If I were you I'd definitly go with the Adroit.
    May I ask what color those frames are and are they all NOS? (You don't have to tell your source, I don't wanna snatch your deals) ;-)

mtbr member

Where might these bikes be?

Quote Originally Posted by a63vette
    BTW - are the adroit/attitudes a meaningful upgrade from the pulse? Also, what do you guys think is a fair price for the above NOS frames? APPRECIATE IT!
    Adroit is above the Attitude and the Attitude is above the Pulse. Does not matter about the year of the bike.
    It is also best if you get new parts for the new frame.

How much are you willing to pay? That is how much it is worth. What it is worth to the bike shop that has been sitting on it? That is a little different.

A new toy would be a full suspension bike.

The headset on the Adroit is NOT owner servicable unless you have the correct tools that are NOT in a basic or extensive tool kit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Guys! Adroit is Plum Crazy or black, attiudes are gold or blue. I am 240, and never rode a FS I felt comfortable on - generally prefer the lighter FS. As far as the adroit headset, I was told the frame came with a conversion piece to eliminate the need to use that headset - or was that for the forks?

So an 01/2 adroit is typically more desirable than an 05 attiude? (any diff from 01 to 02 adroit?) Thanks a lot fellas - really appreciate it!

THis is one of those deals where I am sure there are better bikes, but as a kid I had a pic of a green adroit on my wall...so there is something sentimental to me about Kleins!

I will give my source right after I purchase
    Last edited by a63vette; 06-27-2006 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member

Sucka!!!

Thanks Guys! Adroit is Plum Crazy or black, attiudes are gold or blue. I am 240, and never rode a FS I felt comfortable on - generally prefer the lighter FS. As far as the adroit headset, I was told the frame came with a conversion piece to eliminate the need to use that headset - or was that for the forks?

So an 01/2 adroit is typically more desirable than an 05 attiude? (any diff from 01 to 02 adroit?) Thanks a lot fellas - really appreciate it!

THis is one of those deals where I am sure there are better bikes, but as a kid I had a pic of a green adroit on my wall...so there is something sentimental to me about Kleins!

I will give my source right after I purchase
    Yer gonna buy a newwwww biiiikke. (In that teasingly patronizing taunty voice)

2001 was the last year for the Adroit. If you get the Adroit, get Rishi Race Black. The kit that the bike shop sells is to run a 1 1/8 fork steerer. Not sure if it reduces the headset bearings or not. If it does not reduce the headset bearings then it will be hard to swap forks and bearings.
    Every Adroit is more desirable than almost all Attitudes. Colors may be the determining factor
    As far as the weight issue, all the bikes should handle it. Do not do any mild jumping on the Adroit. Hope I am not being rude. I would imagin that a smaller framed Adroit at your weight would be better than a larger frame. Since yer not a racer then it reallly shouldn't matter, especially easy road and trail riding.
    Gotta walk the dogs. They are screaming at me.

I'm back. I still say try to look for a FS bike. It has to be set up properly, duh. They are really comfy.
    Last edited by noslogan; 06-27-2006 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    The headset on the Adroit is NOT owner servicable unless you have the correct tools that are NOT in a basic or extensive tool kit.
    Well, since this Adroit has the MC3, he can service it all by himself without any special tools.

I would recommend the Plum Crazy one, looks amazing, have one myself, the black is too boring especially for a Klein.
    You could even run disc brakes on that frame, see "Hayes 22mm Adapter....-Thread" on this Page or maybe already on Page 2.

The only thing you have to consider is, you can only use the the special Fork that it comes with and only MC3s, due to the 1 5/16" steerer tube.

Of course you can also install an MC2 if you want to, but then you need the special tools noslogan was talking about or have the shop do it.

If they offer you a reducer kit I would go with a Reset Racing Kit, seems to be the best choice and be better long term than the Problem Solvers reducers.

If you need a special MC3 stem, I might be able to help you, I got almost everything from 120mm to 145mm 6 degree and even one 150mm 0 and a 140 0, but I have to see wihich I can let go.

Harrumph
    I have recently picked up an 05 Attitude and have to say it is pretty nice compared to the other non Washington Attudes I've had. This 05 is the 4th Attitude I've had, other vintages were from 96,01,and 03. The 96 was a Wash made frame and the basic build quality is far above the 01-03. The 01-03 frames really looked like Trek 8K's with flashy paint, not better paint, just a bit flashier. I really like how the Wash built Tude rides more than the 01-03, I don't have any miles on the 05 yet, but I have high hopes. So in the end my advice is that unless you really have a thing for an old school frame get the 05, it's a better bike. But if you must get one of the older frames you won't be un happy with them either. And if you are really into an old school frame, find something older than 01.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^ +1 .....................................

Carsten
    ...the 01 Adroit (like any other Adroit) still has the airhead set with the oversized glued-in bearings. these are not easy serviceable and you cannot just pop the fork out and swap another one in. all you can do is take the MC3 off like a normal ahead stem.
    Trek sold adapter rings that reduce the airhead bearing inner diameter to 1 1/8 so you can put in any standard fork but it is a rather simple solution. TNT and problem solvers offer reducers that are pressed into the head tube so you can use standard 1 1/8 head sets.

the other weak point on these adroit frames are the replaceable rear der hangers. not all 00 and 01 frames had them, they switched back to non-replaceable hangers somewhen during production because the chain stay tended to break right behind the dropout where it is thinnest due to the replaceable rear der hanger. i would not buy such a frame, too risky. if you have warranty on it great, but then you will sooner or later end up with an Attitude frame anyways.

bottom line, the Pulse frame rides very very similar to the Adroit and Attitude frames, i doubt that you will notice the difference. but the later frames are designed for somewhat longer travel forks (up to 80mm) which would affect the riding characteristic of the Pulse Race frame to the slow side. if you think to need a rear disc brake go with the newer Attitude frame. if you can live with a vbrake on the rear and the Adroit frame has the non replaceable drop-out and then also no disc brake tabs it would be a really really really nice new toy, especially in Plum Crazy. and it looks like you will not put many many bad weather miles on it so the airhead set will not need maintenance soon. which fork comes with the Adroit frame? again, switching fork is possible but not an easy task.

bikeman offers the Adroit Race in Jade Chameleon (also a very nice color) for $599 in selected frame sizes http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/FMKLN-ADRACE

a NOS PC Adroit should go for a similar amount or a bit more, depends on if it is a sought after frame size.

Carsten

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    ...the other weak point on these adroit frames are the replaceable rear der hangers. not all 00 and 01 frames had them, they switched back to non-replaceable hangers somewhen during production because the chain stay tended to break right behind the dropout where it is thinnest due to the replaceable rear der hanger........Carsten
    That was the exact fate of my 01, and the 03 was the warranty replacement.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member

100mm forks

For reference my 2001 Attitude was fitted with 100mm forks and rode suberbly as does my newer 2003 Attitude after fitting 100mm Fox Floats.

Just so you know - they are are relatively futureproof......well as far as anything is in MTBing!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You still can get the bearings out without any special tools and they don't really need to be serviced, don't they!? You can't take them apart anyway, just out and replace them.

Well.....I mean...... I don't know...........my frame (01 Adroit) is 5 years old, I'm a very aggressive rider, I ride in any weather, it looks pretty beaten up and abused, but the bearings are still smooth and fine, even though I rode for a while without the rubber-o-ring that protects the bearings, my replacable hanger has once been replaced and frame is still one piece.

If you only ride road, get the Adroit, it's cool as hell.
    If you wanna get serious or maybe ride off-road, take the newer Attitude like others already suggested, 1 1/8" steerer and disc brake mounts will make life overall easier for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow thanks guys! Now I am totally confused, just kidding. Leaning towards the plum crazy (comes sans fork, BTW). Really appreciate all of the info. Any pics of a plum adroit?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow thanks guys! Now I am totally confused, just kidding. Leaning towards the plum crazy (comes sans fork, BTW). Really appreciate all of the info. Any pics of a plum adroit?

Thanks again

Check the last Page of the Pics Thread in this subforum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well, maybe the Models differ more than we thought.
    I just checked mine and it's reinforced there along the red line.
    Further if you look from the Top down it's almost as wide as the chainstay itself there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks - yellow your bike is gorgeous! Also came accross a carbon mantra frame and fork NOS for $1k (is that price reasonable - brother might have interest). 99% going with the plum adroit. Will update you when I get her.