Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newbie with a Trek and questions

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  J_R_A 
#1 ·
Two weeks ago I purchased a 2011 Trek Advance Fisher Edition with Disks from my lbs(orange/black) This is my first hobby grade bike. I know that 2011 was the last year for the advance and I got a good deal on the bike $450.00 I had a budget and I took in account that I needed alot of things to go with the bike. This is what I bought so far helmet, gloves, spare tube, computer, tire repair kit w/Co2, a small tool kit, and bag. I like riding trails and I'm happy with bike. My question is this bike worth upgrading the forks and a few other things on?

#3 ·
You got a lifetime warranty on the frame so upgrade away,,if your happy with the way it rides now just wait till things break, if the frame breaks and trek no longer makes it they will upgrade it to the next best model,,just my .02$ In the end only you can answer the question you asked is it worth it to you?..cool bike I like the colors.

#8 ·
Fox float 32 evolution would be great. Check ebay as alot of people upgrade upon purchase of a new bike. You probably can find a new fork for about half of new. Really any fox shock will be fine. Just stay with the 100mm travel area. Also look at rock shocks Reba. I bought my Fox Float R 140mm brand new take off for around $250 and a Fox RP23 for a rear shock. If I recall I had around $500 between the two.

#11 ·
Take your time looking on ebay. Something will pop up. There are enought trek bikes out there to find an upgrade fork. Keep your options open (fox or maybe Reba). Spring will be here in a couple months and people will be upgrading for the season. Plus it will give you time to save up and jump on a deal.

#10 ·
Nice looking bike. :thumbsup:
Yes, it's absolutely worth upgrading a few parts if you feel the need. Contact points like grips, saddle, pedals, etc. vary from person to person and are a typical upgrade on any bike. The folk on entry level bikes leave a lot to be desired and are another good upgrade if you can find a deal.
A word of caution, it's easy to get sucked into the black hole of upgrades and before you know it, you've spent twice as much as the bike cost.

Enjoy the ride.

#12 ·
Nice bike! :thumbsup:

Two things stand out to me though. The first is the front brake line. I would look for a way to bring it in closer to the head tube. Sticking way out there like that, it could catch on a bush or something and that could get you hurt.

The next thing I noticed is your set up as far as saddle height compared to your bars. Set your saddle height based on your leg extension. Your leg should almost be fully extended at the bottom of your pedal stroke. Itll feel a little weird at first, but your knees will thank you for it!

Another hint. Spin, don't mash. What I mean is, pedal in a circle, not just pushing down. Imagine scraping mud or dog poo off your shoes.

Good luck dude!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.