mtbr member

Newbie-Trek 4300 Disc, what tires should I use?

Going to pickup my new 4300 disc at the LBS this week. I read the reviews on the Bontrager Jones tires and from what everyone has said here, they are basically worthless on wet pavement or trail.

So, without breaking the bank right off the bat, what tires do you experienced Trek riders suggest? I was looking around the $25-30 range max for now.

Truth be told, I was going to go down to Wal-Mart or Target and get their $17 Kevlar lined mtb tires. The tread looks decent and I'm only going to be riding paved bike trails for the first month to get myself used to the bike and conditioned better. Would that be a smarter thing to do and then just replace the cheap tires with something better? I hate to buy a $600 bike and put $17 tires on it but.......they are just going to get chewed up on pavement anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if you're just riding on pavement the stock tires should be fine. They're better then any walmart tire I've ever encountered (I work at a shop in a college town - I've encountered a number of crappy dept store tires). They're pretty good for pavement actually, and they'll do fine on a path. When you're ready for an upgrade check out kenda nevegals (2.1 or 2.35 should be fine), there are some good wtb tires that wont break the bank, but those nevegals seem to be the flavor of the month for good tires on a budget. There are better tires out there imo, but they cost an arm and a leg.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like those are pretty good tires.

If my wife wasn't on me already about spending so much on a bike and gear, I'd buy another set of wheels and tires for off-road and use the stock tires on paved trails till they wear out and then replace them with good street beaters.

So...........looks like I'll have to do that over time. But hey, that's part of owning a quality bike right? Gotta start getting upgrades somewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0