mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New Trek and a few questions

So let me start by saying that I just got my first full suspention bike, and I got a Fuel EX9. It is a great bike but I am having trouble getting the shocks to a good point for fine tuning. I can't find a chart to that shows if you weight "X"lbs then set rebound and air to "X". I need this for both the fork and the rear shock. Any help would be great.

Thanks for all the help,

Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You can find the suspension set-up PDF on trek's website, fyi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have found on my ex7 that I run ~5-10 psi under the recommendation. Also it took 3-4 rides for the shocks (front and rear) to break in. Seemed unbalanced compared to the '07ex8 that I had tested (and it had been ridden hard and put away wet). After 40-50 miles it is like riding a couch down the trail and seems less finiky about the setup (ie I don't notice a huge difference +/- 5 psi).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats good to know about the shocks breaking in. I didn't think about that. I have put about 30 miles on it in the last 2 days (got it on Sunday). What setting do you use on the RP23. I know that there are 3 different settings for ProPedal and open. Do you tune it in Propedal or open.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I also found that I use less than the recommended setting. Forget about the recommended psi, just measure your sag %. To do so you should set the propedal open and rebound full fast (all the way counter-clockwise). Then:

1) Measure shock's total stroke

2) Push the o-ring up against the dust wiper

3) Find a flat surface (e.g. garage) and mount the bike without excessively compressing the suspension, then pedal a couple times.

4) Dismount (again, w/o overly compressing) and measure the distance from the dust wiper to the o-ring.

5) Divide this figure by the total stroke and that = sag %.

6) Add or reduce pressure in 5 psi increments until you're at Trek's recommended sag %.for the EX9.

7) Remember to set your rebound back to the desired setting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet thanks for the help. Is it the same for the rear shock aswell? I have heard 25% of the shock is the right sag setting but I am not sure about that. Any tips for that?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Definitely check Trek's recommendation for your model. I have the Remedy and they suggest 30% in the rear and 20% sag in the front. The EX9 may not have the same recommended settings. If you bought new, your bike should have came with a manual detailing suggested sag %. If not, check Trek's website.

Members who have read this thread: 0