mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New Rumblefish Elite owner - Looking for tubeless tire recomendations

I just picked up a Rumblefish Elite last night. I took it for a quick ride and the bike is a monster! A huge upgrade from the Wahoo 26" hardtail I've been riding.

So far I just added pedals and grips but I'm interested in possibly going with a Tubeless tire setup. From what I understand the bike is "tubeless ready" but I believe I still need new tires and some type of kit to go tubeless? I looked at the Bontrager website and I only saw a kit available for road bikes. I would also like to upgrade to a wider tire up front such as a 2.4" if they exist. I'm not seeing much out there for 29x2.4".

Advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Rumblefish Elite owner - Looking for tubeless tire recomendations-rumblefish.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not sure about the Elite, but my Pro came with tubeless ready tyres. I just needed the bontrager rim strips, valves and sealant. Ask in this post 2013 rumblefish

I hate that name.
    The tires on the Elite aren't specifically tubeless ready, but I've converted a couple using the stock tires without any issues so far. The parts aren't sold as kit, but you'll need rimstrips, valves, and sealant. Your Trek dealer can get them for you.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    The tires on the Elite aren't specifically tubeless ready, but I've converted a couple using the stock tires without any issues so far. The parts aren't sold as kit, but you'll need rimstrips, valves, and sealant. Your Trek dealer can get them for you.
    Thanks. My local shop is telling me I need to get different tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by livefreeandride View Post
    Thanks. My local shop is telling me I need to get different tires.
    I bet they want you to buy the tires from them, right?

You can likely setup the stock tires TL. Worse case scenario you waste a little goo.

My 29er Fire XC Pro tires are not TLR but setup flawlessly.

I'd rather be riding
    You can run your stock tires tubeless no issues. If you want tubless ready try the 29-4 in a 2.35, big and fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The stock 29-3 tires that come with the elite work just fine. I've been running mine tubeless for 3 months with no issues. Just get the Trek rim strips and valve. You can use any sealant you want. I've been running Stan's with no issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Go with Stan's. I tried the Bontrager kit on my 2013 Superfly 100 AL Elite and had a hard time with the rim strips. Brought everything to my Trek dealer and they tried different Bontrager strips and eventually gave up and gave me Stan's at no charge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
    Go with Stan's. I tried the Bontrager kit on my 2013 Superfly 100 AL Elite and had a hard time with the rim strips. Brought everything to my Trek dealer and they tried different Bontrager strips and eventually gave up and gave me Stan's at no charge.
    The Superfly comes with a different rim and uses a different sized strip than the Rumblefish. The Rhythm/Duster rim extrusion and the appropriate Bontrager strip setup flawlessly with most tires.

OP: I run a 29x2.35 Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front of my Sawyer (same rim as your Rumblefish) and it's massive. I would go ahead and wear out the stock tires though -- or just get 1 nice new tire for the front and wear out the stock ones on the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There are different types of bontrager tubeless strips but your dealer should be able to take care of you. The bontrager strips are nicer for setting up bontrager wheels than just using stan's rim strip or even stan's yellow tape. I have used stan's yellow tape alone on bontrager wheels without issue but it's much harder to air up. I'd recommend the stan's sealant over the super juice too.

I've got some Schwable racing ralphs in 2.4 that are TR. I assume they're still available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    The Superfly comes with a different rim and uses a different sized strip than the Rumblefish. The Rhythm/Duster rim extrusion and the appropriate Bontrager strip setup flawlessly with most tires.

OP: I run a 29x2.35 Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front of my Sawyer (same rim as your Rumblefish) and it's massive. I would go ahead and wear out the stock tires though -- or just get 1 nice new tire for the front and wear out the stock ones on the rear.
    So the 2013 Superfly AL Elite will require different rim strips than usual? I just put the strips on my rims, and am waiting for the TLR 29-1 tires to come in from the shop, but noticed that in some spots the rim strip sticks up over the side of the rim. Is this an issue and do I need to buy different tlr strips?
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kimtemmerly View Post
    So the 2013 Superfly AL Elite will require different rim strips than usual? I just put the strips on my rims, and am waiting for the TLR 29-1 tires to come in from the shop, but noticed that in some spots the rim strip sticks up over the side of the rim. Is this an issue and do I need to buy different tlr strips?
    Is the strip centered and seated fully? It should sit very evenly and flush.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    Is the strip centered and seated fully? It should sit very evenly and flush.
    It feels like 1 side is seated great and the other i can push down slightly and as I said before some spots have the side of the strip hanging up over the rim. Friday is when the tires will be here so I guess I can mess around with them until than.
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kimtemmerly View Post
    It feels like 1 side is seated great and the other i can push down slightly and as I said before some spots have the side of the strip hanging up over the rim. Friday is when the tires will be here so I guess I can mess around with them until than.
    My initial thought would be you've got the wrong strip or your installed them backwards. If they're assymetric strips/rims, they need to be aligned properly. I'd pry them off and take a closer look. If you checked that when you started, not sure what to tell you.