COMBO - President

New Rig, trie rubbing frame

I read all the posts about Rigs and tire sizes and frame rubbing, so I was warned. I spoke to my dealer several times about this concern before ordering, so much so that they contacted Trek/GF and recieved assurance this was not an issue, nor was it ever. Just an internet rumor.

Got my new Rig yesterday, first ride, - just dropped in back at the store due to yup, tire rubbing the chain stay. I can't blame the dealer too much, they went to Trek/GF about my concern, so GF is the real bad guy here.

I have/had a 2.2 ACX on there, so obviously the 1.8 is what needs to go on there, I checked the tolerances before leaving the store and thought they were tight but the dealer said, no problem.

So now is the time when GF needs to step up... I'll provide an update shortly, I hope.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Is the rear tire rubbing one chainstay or both? Is it possible that it's just a truing issue? The bike ships with 2.2 tires.

COMBO - President
    Just the left stay, wheels are true, skewers are correctly placed in drops, stock tires (Jones ACX 2.2). I did put milar clear tape over the narrow area before riding "just in case", the tire rubbed through that and removed the paint.

I think GF should have not sold a defective product, I "luckily" got one of only four small frames coming into the country. I did discuss with the dealer beforehand, that I was worried and would prefer to wait for the next model year if there was going to be an "issue". I received several calls assuring me that would not be the case.

Bottom line is GF did not correctly engineer this bike or if someone wants to argue, they did engineer it right but not to accommodate the tires (2.2) that GF shipped with it, so it should have been sent with that warning... it was not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I should have said, dish instead of true. Are you completely sure that the wheel is properly dished? You can't use the tire to tell as not all tires are perfectly symmetrical..

IF the tire were perfectly centered between the chainstays.... would it fit then?

I'm trying to decide... what is the issue?

Are the chainstays too close together (design) or is the wheel improperly dished (or bad tire).... or all 3?

COMBO - President
    Hey Blue,

Thanks for your input, those are all good suggestions. I would rule out the tire and wheel as probably cause due to the fact that this has been reported numerous times here at MTBR. I was very persistent to get assurances from the dealer and GF that this was not an issue. Both adamantly denied there is or ever was a problem, they called it an "Internet rumor".

GF has a engineering/production issue with the Rig. They have heard from many customers via their dealer channel and still they sell the Rig like there is no issue - that is wrong. GF's integrity is at stake and from what I have read here (and dismissed because I was told it was not true by GF) is they aren't doing anything to make amends or fix the flaw.

Yeah, I'm upset and running hot right now.
    1) The bike isn't right.
    2) GF lied.
    3) Putting on touchup paint and a different tire isn't enough. See item 1).

Blue, I will still take your advice and ask that the dish and tire be check, thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK
    Hey Blue,

Thanks for your input, those are all good suggestions. I would rule out the tire and wheel as probably cause due to the fact that this has been reported numerous times here at MTBR. I was very persistent to get assurances from the dealer and GF that this was not an issue. Both adamantly denied there is or ever was a problem, they called it an "Internet rumor".

GF has a engineering/production issue with the Rig. They have heard from many customers via their dealer channel and still they sell the Rig like there is no issue - that is wrong. GF's integrity is at stake and from what I have read here (and dismissed because I was told it was not true by GF) is they aren't doing anything to make amends or fix the flaw.

Yeah, I'm upset and running hot right now.
    1) The bike isn't right.
    2) GF lied.
    3) Putting on touchup paint and a different tire isn't enough. See item 1).

Blue, I will still take your advice and ask that the dish and tire be check, thank you.
    I can understand your frustration.

If you want some advice, I'm willing to offer it. I've dealt with Trek twice for warrantee issues. I also handle warranty for a major corporation, so I have an idea of how this should be handled.

First of all, try not to be emotional ablut this. Approach it from a "these are the facts" standpoint. Trek has a good reputation for customer service. I've had very good customer service from them.

What is the reall issue? It's most likely one of the following (or a couple of these combined):

1) Wheel dishing. Don't ignore this. Make the LBS check the wheel. My Fuel had tire rub on the chainstay (sound familiar?). I brought it to the LBS and asked if it was the frame or the wheel dish. The LBS manager told me that the wheel was fine and it was the rear triangle. Trek warrantied it and I got a brand new carbon rear (original was aluminum). Guess what? The tire rubbed on that one, too, but I decided to stay quiet about it until I got home. Once home I measured the dish. It was out of dish!!!! Once I corrected the dish on the wheel, everything was fine. So I got a new, free carbon rear for nothing.

2) Frame alignment - The LBS can check this too.

3) Not enough clearance. Design or manufacturing flaw. Yo should be able to tell, just by looking at the tire between the chainsays,...... iIf the tire were perfectly centered, would there still be sufficient clearance between the tire and the stays?

4) Bad tire

The easiest way for you to check the dish is to remove the rear wheel, turn it around and reinstall it. If it's the wheel, it will now rub on the opposite stay. If it's the frame, it will rub on the same side as before. If you have disk brakes, you may have to remove the rotor and/or caliper to allow the rear wheel to be mounted backwards.

The bottom line is.... take your time. Find out what is wrong.... Then pursue a solution.

Keep us posted!!!! Good Luck!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    One recommendation that works is to use a narrower tire. You don't need to drop all the way down to a 1.8. Blue shorts is right on with the alignment steps, then drop the tire to a 2.1 and you'll find yourself in good shape. Most bike shops can cover the cost of tires through Fisher.

mtbr member

Great Advice! Blue Shorts

I have 2 Rigs and 2 Ziggurrats That my wife and have raced on for about a year now. I love the bikes and wouldnt trade them for anything. But they are production bikes and mistakes can be made. BLUE SHORTS had some great ideas. Almost all of the bontrager wheels I've gotten with my bikes have been jacked up. They are not bad wheelsets. They just havent been tuned properly. Also unfortunaetly shipping and handling can be a killer on bike and parts. Take the advice and check your bike carefully. Hopefully you get it taken care of. Good Luck!
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

COMBO - President

No good

Thanks for the input everyone,

I went to Roth Rock at State College, PA with my RM Element for the weekend, it helped put things in perspective. I crashed some, nicked it up a bit, broke a shifter lever. I'm off to pick up the Rig that has the paint burned off by the OEM tire. All in all I am still bummed that a brand new bike was essentially damaged by GF at my expense but it is MTBing and stuff breaks.

1) Shop put a 1.8 on, which is not what I really wanted but it does "fix" the problem.
    2) Frame is true, wheel is dished correctly. GF just can't build the Rig in a small frame to support a decent size tire, they are at fault but it's my problem.

Do not buy the Rig in a small frame size is my advice, listen to the forums for news, do not believe GF. Their rep is crap.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTK

2) Frame is true, wheel is dished correctly. GF just can't build the Rig in a small frame to support a decent size tire, they are at fault but it's my problem.

Do not buy the Rig in a small frame size is my advice, listen to the forums for news, do not believe GF.
    I have a large or XL Rig with no problems, same tires as you.

The small frame shouldn't have anything to do with it. I am NO engineer and not much smarts either.
    The chain stays are going to be the same no matter what size the frame is. Right?

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Does it have the Bontrager wheels?
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

COMBO - President
    Yes, Bontrager wheels, tires, handlerbars, seat, seatpost, grips, stem, it is a mostly stock bike. I did upgrade the Avid mechanical disc to Juicy 5, Except now it is sporting 1.8 tire on the rear wheel, has lots of clearance now. I don't want a 1.8 tire though, looking for another tire with good knobbies, lower profile than the stock Jones ACX 2.2.

If folks have suggestions on which mfg makes a 2.1 lower volume but good traction tire, please let me know.

Thanks

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    I put on IRC Mythos and they don't rub, they have more traction, but less volume to they ride a little harder

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    I have had nothing but problems with the Bontrager wheels. They may be the issue.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I have a size large Rig and it too has a small amount of chainstay tire rub on the drive side. I too was told by the LBS that Fisher had corrected the tire clearance issue on the '06 Rig before I bought it. That said, I really couldn't care less about the rub - it doesnt affect my riding and if I have to get a slightly narrower tire, so be it. The Jones ACX is a pretty square shouldered tire and I would guess that mounting a rounder 2.2 might make the rub go away.