mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New to me: 2010 Trek fuel EX 8 I'm Stoked!

After about ten years off from mtb's, I decided it was time.. I started doing a little reading and visited a few bike shops. I was REALLY into biking from 96-02'. My last bike was a Jamis Dakar xc fs from 97' It was always too small for me @ 17.5".. I was always cramped and flying over the handlbars. I broke my left color bone on that bike doing a bunny hop in a parking lot, i got some serious air and when I came down the forks bent and threw me into the pavement...

I found this trek on CL and i couldnt stop looking at it.. Im 5-11" with 34" inseam. I was really worried that the XL frame (21.5" virtual/20" actual) was going to be way too big but I finally called the guy and met up and sat on it, rode around the park a little bit and I loved it.. It might very well be a hair big but I dont care, I rode dirt bikes for years and I love the bigger feel of being in the bike and not so much on top of the bike hunched over the handlbars and after putting tons of miles on my old bike I knew I was not going to buy a frame that was too small again.

The guy had put the XR4 fatter tire on the front and the rear tire is stock. He had the shop put a bontrager computer on it at purchase and said that he only put 240 miles on it.. He was into road bikes.. The bike is like brand new.

I paid 1100 bucks.. too much?? too little?? Im really out of the loop anymore..

he gave me the pump for the shocks. He was quite a bit heavier than me. I need to learn how to set up the suspension. Any links or help on that would be sweet.

any suggestions on set up or whatever for the bike would be welcome.. I need to get a rock guard for sure!!

Im really glad I found this forum..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Congrats on the bike! I have the exact same bike, but in a 17.5 size (I'm 5'8", 33 inseam). Personally, I wouldn't worry about the price you paid (since its already done), as long as you are happy with it. The bike had list price of ~ $2200 new, if that helps you out.

I also have the same tire set up, except that I have the 2.2 XR4 up front. I am considering moving to a XR4 in back as the 2.1 XR2 is not holding up well on the loose shale trails that I typically ride. I need more grip in the corners to prevent a rear wash out.

For a suspension guide, try this link from the Trek web site.
    Also, check these YouTube videos concerning suspension adjustment: Rear Shock, Front Shock. The front shock has a couple of adjustments that your RL fork doesn't have, but it covers the adjustments you do have.

Enjoy your EX8!
    Last edited by desertred; 03-24-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Add YouTube vids

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nice, thanks for the links. I just set the pressures.. I like that fat tire up front. Im sure ill figure out pretty quick that the rear needs to be changed. I want to ride it but its freezing out..

TXTony
    I would say you got a killer deal on it...I have the 2011 EX8 one of the best FS bikes I have owned..have done a ton of mods to it and ride it hard..just a solid performer all the way around...congrats!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool, thanks txt... I went on a casual ride with the kids and I'm loving the bike so far.. It's definitely a bigger frame than I'm used to, little more stretched out. I can always change the handle bar clamp to get a little chooser if i need to..

Post up some pics of that beast Tony..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I agree that you got a killer deal. I have a 2008 trek ex 8 and would not sell it for that. Mine has maybe 2000 miles on it and has been through heck and back, but I would not let it go for less than $1500. It is in nowhere near new condition, but every component it maintained or replaced with red shield. I am riding a remedy now, so this is my backup/loaner bike now.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk77 View Post
    Cool, thanks txt... I went on a casual ride with the kids and I'm loving the bike so far.. It's definitely a bigger frame than I'm used to, little more stretched out. I can always change the handle bar clamp to get a little chooser if i need to..

Post up some pics of that beast Tony..
    Being flat black the stuff I have done to it really does not show that well in pictures..Put a carbon bar and seat post on it..Hope seat post clamp..put Sram X9 drive train on it because I just prefer Sram stuff..Stans Arch rims laced to Chris King hubs..XTR pedals..

mtbr member

Great bike!!

Here's to many a great times on your new Fuel, really great bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to me: 2010 Trek fuel EX 8  I'm Stoked!-fuel1.jpg  

New to me: 2010 Trek fuel EX 8  I'm Stoked!-fuel2.jpg  

2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice! Tony and Kim.. Love that red you mixed in on it..

Ive been riding when I can. just over 40 miles on it so far. I cleaned the drivetrain and used Rock N Roll GOLD on the chain/cassette and Honey grease on the suspension stanchions..

when lightly cleaning today I noticed the chain marring up the rear of the swingarm. is this normal or a tune problem?
    Last edited by Dirk77; 03-30-2013 at 07:25 PM.

TXTony

Ive been riding when I can. just over 40 miles on it so far. I cleaned the drivetrain and used Rock N Roll GOLD on the chain/cassette and Honey grease on the suspension stanchions..

when lightly cleaning today I noticed the chain marring up the rear of the swingarm. is this normal or a tune problem?
    Was it there before? Does look a bit like chain rub..put it on the smallest cog in the back and give it a whirl and see if it is rubbing there...but I would think if it was out of alignment you would probably have felt something out of whack from riding it..if everything is shifting good I would not sweat it to much..I have scratches all over mine and maybe it is just me but the paint job on these model ex seems a little less than inspiring I have places on my frame that the cable has rubbed the paint off...I really do not sweat it to much after all its a mountain bike so I expect some cosmetic collateral damage...kinda sucks when you get a new bike but as long as everything is performing like it should I would keep trucking!

mtbr member

chain rub

I'd agree with Tony that it was probably there before since u aren't noticing any sounds during riding. The only other thing I could think is maybe your back axle isn't tightened enough so that when u are going through banks at speed the whole wheel and cassette are tilting a bit to cause the rub.
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks you guys. I can't remember if it was already there or not. It doesn't rub when i go through the gears inside.. I probably grabbed to many gears at once and threw the chain down to fast..??