Thread: new bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

new bike

I need a new bike and I'm looking at two trek bikes A remedy 5 and a fuel ex 7 I'm also looking at a Santa cruz Heckler and and a bullit. I do alot of all mountain but will start to Freeride. I'm 5'5 and115 what bike do you think is best for me.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I'm not really current on my Santa Cruz info, but if you want to do anything like freeriding then you'll appreciate the slacker geometry of the Remedy as opposed to the Fuel EX - even though they have the same amount of travel.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ive ridden the Remedy and the EX-
    If you want to go freeride than DEFINITELY the Remedy....the EX is a great bike, but its not a freeride bike! You may even want to try a Session 7...It is best suited for freeride. Santa Cruz bikes ride great, but lots o maintenance problems.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by PhosphoLipids
    ive ridden the Remedy and the EX-
    If you want to go freeride than DEFINITELY the Remedy....the EX is a great bike, but its not a freeride bike! You may even want to try a Session 7...It is best suited for freeride. Santa Cruz bikes ride great, but lots o maintenance problems.
    Hecklers don't have maintenence problems. SC's VPP bikes can be "high" maintenence with as many pivot points as they have (just like the Remedy or EX or Session or any multi-pivot-point rear suspension) but the Heckler is pretty much bombproof with its single 15mm pivot. The new Heckler has a lifetime bearing guarantee.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

NMBP/OMBA crew!
    remedy is an awesome bike. i would jump on one and take it for a spin. the remedy 6 is best bang for your buck.
    http://ocalabicyclecenter.com/

Rubber side down is good for me

mtbr member
    I have the Remedy 5 and love the bike. Nearly all of my riding is single track XC; however, the bike performs very well and I was able to buy the bike at a great price. It seems that Trek is pushing the 2008 line of bikes out and many places are marking down the cost of some of the Trek models? I was able to buy the Remedy 5 for $ 1,350. I was quoted $ 1,550 for the Remedy 6.

I am not a freerider; however, with five inches of travel on both ends and a beefy 29 pound frame, you should be able to ride very aggressive terrain with the Remedy.