Thread: New 9.8

gearhead
    Dec 2004

Good job! New 9.8

Yesterday's race was a little wet........

Gotta like the high-tech number plate
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to ride my bike.
    Lucky.... Can I have it?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

bi-winning
    I like the color scheme. I thought the old 9.8s were uglier with the blue/silver.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I like the color scheme. I thought the old 9.8s were uglier with the blue/silver.
    I agree! How much does that bike weigh?

gearhead
    Dec 2004
    Thanks guys. Don't know the weight, probably about 21-22 pounds (30+ with the mud ). Some of the components aren't that light, but it's fast and everything works great.

I wanted the red frame (ala the 9.9) but the black is nicer than I thought - it's got a metallic sparkle to it. And it was a grand cheaper with better shifting and suspension.

The only thing that bugs me is that Trek forgot to put on a guard to protect the carbon chainstay from chainsuck. Later they sent one to the dealer that had to be bent to shape and zip tied to the frame but it should work......

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    so how do you like it and what would u change on it now? it looks very nice and i should be getting one with in a month . can we get some more clean pics of that nice bike u have and a actually weight of that bike.

thanks !!

gearhead
    Dec 2004

Congrats on your purchase!

I assume you had to special order it also? It's a very sweet race bike - extremely stiff and fast. I can't feel any flex in it at all. That's a bonus on climbs and when cornering, but rough stuff can make it bounce around a bit.

I don't have a scale but if I take it back to the shop I'll ask them to weigh it. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures of it without the mud.

There was only one catch with this bike. Trek forgot to put any chainsuck protection on the chainstay. Oops. I've seen a picture of a 9.9 that had much of the chainstay eaten by the chain. Fortunately, this didn't happen to me before the local rep contacted the dealer and had them install a metal guard like what their roadbikes come with. Make sure yours has one!

Any other changes? The stock Bontrager wheels on the 9.8 weigh a ton, but I already had other race wheels (like the XTR's in the picture). Also the bars were really wide and had to be trimmed. And your seatpost will probably need to be trimmed - the frame design prevents the really long seatpost from going into the frame very far. Get this done before you leave the shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by j.p.rich
    I assume you had to special order it also? It's a very sweet race bike - extremely stiff and fast. I can't feel any flex in it at all. That's a bonus on climbs and when cornering, but rough stuff can make it bounce around a bit.

I don't have a scale but if I take it back to the shop I'll ask them to weigh it. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures of it without the mud.

There was only one catch with this bike. Trek forgot to put any chainsuck protection on the chainstay. Oops. I've seen a picture of a 9.9 that had much of the chainstay eaten by the chain. Fortunately, this didn't happen to me before the local rep contacted the dealer and had them install a metal guard like what their roadbikes come with. Make sure yours has one!

Any other changes? The stock Bontrager wheels on the 9.8 weigh a ton, but I already had other race wheels (like the XTR's in the picture). Also the bars were really wide and had to be trimmed. And your seatpost will probably need to be trimmed - the frame design prevents the really long seatpost from going into the frame very far. Get this done before you leave the shop.

nice, thanks for the quick responce. i have not ordered one yet but i hope very soon. i was also looking at a new wheelset and the Race X Lite TLR Disc looked like a good pick. i prolly would also change the grips and the seat and mayb the chainrings to some extralite rings but i don't know.

MTBR Demi-God
    hey j.p, can you tell me what model of wheelsets you are using? What is your opinion about them? Light enough?

w3rd.

Another question...

How do you like the R7?

I've been thinking of buying one, since they are so light and for a reasonable price.

are they worth it?

thanks!

MC Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    hey j.p, can you tell me what model of wheelsets you are using? What is your opinion about them? Light enough?
    those look like Shimano XTR wheels

Also, what size is your frame j.p? and have you ridden the previous 9.8 models prior to this? I'm trying to get a feel for how stiff this frame is compared to them. thanks

gearhead
    Dec 2004

Bike Update

Hey guys, sorry I haven't kept up with the thread very well and an update is due.

The frame is a size large and is very stiff, though I haven't ridden the previous generation of 9.8. My previous hardtail, an Indy Fab Ti Deluxe wasn't stiff enough in the top tube and it showed in its handling. This bike has no such problems. I'm 162 pounds, by the way.

The wheels in the picture are Shimano XTR's and I alternate between them and Crossmaxes. They're both good, solid wheels, but I'm wishing I had a set of Stans to shed a bit of weight.

Speaking of weight, it came in at just under 23 pounds with pedals (but without seat bag and mud as pictured). A bit disappointing, but I've talked to guys with the 9.9 and they're coming in about 2 pounds lighter. Where to save the weight? The Bontrager (Truvativ) cranks and Hayes breaks are likely culprits. And the wheels I have aren't the lightest but certainly better than the stock Bontragers.

The R7 fork is OK. It's stiffer than a Sid, but not as solid as a Fox. The Snap Valve works fine while seated, but when I stand the platform doesn't hold and it bobs.

One other modification worth mentioning surrounds the handlebars. I couldn't get the riser bars low enough so I switched them out for flat bars. Otherwise it's all good.

MC Hammer
    Thanks man

one more question, how tall are you and what's your inseam? I'm trying to get a feel for how the Large frames fit. I'm 6'2 with about a 35 inseam and trying to decide between a L and an XL frame

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by j.p.rich
    The Snap Valve works fine while seated, but when I stand the platform doesn't hold and it bobs.
    Sweet bike! 23# with reliable parts is very nice!

In regards to the bobbing... work on your technique for out of saddle bobbing. I have non-platform 145mm fork that only bobs an inch under mashing with good technique. When I am tired that is a different story.

Round the pedal stroke and counter stoke the pedals. Keep the power in the pedals and your body from bouncing about.

If you already do this...

P