mtbr member
    May 2013

Need Help Setting up My 2013 Trek Ex 8

Hey guys so today was the big day and i ended up purchasing a Brand New Trek ex 8 2013. Let me start off by saying i got such a good deal. I originally purchased a 2012 model from a local bike shop but when it came down to finding it they couldn't. End result the gave me a 2013 model at a 2012 price

ANYWAYS, im 5' 10 " and have a 18.5 bike. I have the seat all the way down and i feel as if the bars are two far away/ back is slightly hunched over. Also i rode the bike for 5 miles today and my Butt was hurting terribly. Any recommendations on setups and a new saddle thats wider?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help Setting up My 2013 Trek Ex 8-screen-shot-2013-06-15-12.39.31-am.jpg  

SuperInstigator
    The saddle looks like it could be slid forward on the rails an inch or so. It also looks like it's angled nose upward. I would start by sliding the saddle forward and rotating it to level. Those two things will make a big difference-hopefully positive.

You could try a slightly shorter stem, but that stem is pretty short already.

Is the seat at the height that it is at in that picture? If you need the seat down farther you can have the seatpost cut. Optimally (and generally), your pedaling position will be such that when a leg is at the bottom of the stroke, it is not completely extended. In other words, you need some bend in your leg at all times. If you have to fully extend your legs on the downstroke, you will be shifting your weight on your seat side to side on every stroke. This will cause chafing and soreness.

Try to get the bike to fit you first before swapping the saddle. Then give your butt some time to adjust. Go back to the shop if you get stumped and have them make suggestions. Saddles are very personal. The perfect saddle for one person may be a death sentence for another. You have to try them. That said, a LOT of people like this saddle...

Avenir Parts and Accessories - Avenir Hybr 100 Men-black/blk

...It's not marketed as a mountain bike saddle, but that is irrelevant.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes as of right now the saddle is set as in the picture. Tomorrow morning before i go ride i will adjust saddle and lower a bit/Cutt at my local trek store. Here is another picture of the bike right now so you can try to determine what i should do to my seat.

I just sat on the bike and my leg is almost fully extended, so i would assume possibly another 1-2 inches lower will suite me better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help Setting up My 2013 Trek Ex 8-screen-shot-2013-06-15-1.00.33-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Also to ask, What are some recommend Non Clip pedals and what details do i specifically need to look into when buying a new wheel set. I keep reading tons of posts that these Bontrager Duster wheels are No good. So keeping a eye out for a nice wheel set is in my mind. Under $800.00 and i will consider used.

SuperInstigator
    Do you mean platform pedals or clipless pedals (the terminology is a bit confusing, because clipless pedals are the ones you clip into and pedals with toe clips are the ones you slide your foot into ). If you're talking platform pedals I'm not really the one to ask. I've been running Odyssey Trailmix BMX pedals for about 4 years. Not much experience with anything else.

As for wheels, I'm a fan of Mavics and the Crossmax 29 ST might fit the bill for you. What I would probably do however is get some Velocity rims laced up to hubs of my choice. On my recent build I used Velocity Blunt 35s and Shimano SLX/XT hubs. There's a thousand different wheel and hub combinations that will be awesome, however.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry, i meant platform pedals