View Poll Results: Which bike do you think is a better deal?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2005 Trek 8500

1 100.00%
  • 2008 Trek 69er 3x9

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Idea! Need advice choosing a bike...

Hello, I am new to these forums and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

I need some advice on which bike to choose... I am looking at buying a 2005 Trek 8500 or a 2008 Trek 69er 3x9. Here are some links to the specifications.

2005 Trek 8500 - BikePedia

2008 Trek 69er 3x9 - BikePedia

Both of these bikes are in great condition and have barely been ridden. The guy selling the 8500 is asking for $900 but if I can get him to $800 I think it would be a nice deal. The other is selling the 69er for $800.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-Dave

mtbr member
    get the bike that fits you better then get the one with less use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    get the bike that fits you better then get the one with less use.
    What I am wondering is if I should go and try out the 69r. I don't know if it's worth my time to drive all the way up to Lake Geneva to test out a 69r if most people just think it is a gimmick and I'd be better off with just getting a 26r. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk9396 View Post
    What I am wondering is if I should go and try out the 69r. I don't know if it's worth my time to drive all the way up to Lake Geneva to test out a 69r if most people just think it is a gimmick and I'd be better off with just getting a 26r. Thanks.
    My opinion about a 69er or 96er is that they are bipolar :-) but that's coming from a novice and someone who has never seen or ridden one, so I guess mine does not count :-)

But again with these kinds of threads of which one to get kind of bike, the overwhelming consensus is FIT of the bike. And when buying a used one of course buying a close to new condition one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    My opinion about a 69er or 96er is that they are bipolar :-) but that's coming from a novice and someone who has never seen or ridden one, so I guess mine does not count :-)

But again with these kinds of threads of which one to get kind of bike, the overwhelming consensus is FIT of the bike. And when buying a used one of course buying a close to new condition one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    They're both my size (medium) and they're both in like-new condition. I think I will just have to drive out and try the 69r. Which bike do you like more components-wise. The older full XT, or the newer deore LX and partial XT.

mtbr member
    technically speaking i would get the newer lx. Fit isn't just about the size of the bike, it is also about the feel of the bike when you ride it.

what I did when I was looking for a new ride. I researched the net and then looked at dealers or sellers that have the bike and test ride them. They maybe all in "your size" but I bet they all feel a bit different from each other.

remember, components are very easy to change, but the bike fit is permanent!

Happy shopping!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, I've been trying to decide if it's worth my time to go and try out the 69er that the guy is selling. No shops around Chicago have it, and I'd have to drive two hours up to Lake Geneva to try it.