mtbr member
    Oct 2012

My Remedy's FOX CTD fork sucks

And I am looking to replace it in the near future - budget permitting (always budget permitting).

What are your recommendations?

My shortlist are (in random order):

1) Marzocchi 2013 55CR (lowered to 150mm travel)

2) FOX 2014 Float 160 34 CTD RLC Factory series

3) RockShox Lyrik

4) RockShox Pike

I realized that the Marz 55CR has a straight steerer tube, no tapered version. It's cheaper than the FOX fork that's for sure, but that means I need to get one of those headsets to fit a straight steerer to my Remedy's tapered one.

Also, can I run the 55CR at 170mm with my Remedy?

What about the Lyrik and Pike? The FOX fork in that list is the most expensive, around twice the amount of the Marz fork. I have no idea about the pricing of the Lyrik and Pike.

How about X-Fusion? I dunno what's the appropriate X-Fusion fork for my Remedy.

I'm looking for something that has 34mm stanchions at least, and definitely not the crappy performance of the current 2013 CTD Float on my Remedy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is it the same fork that is on my Fuel EX 8 29?

Fox Evolution Series 32 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 120mm travel

My CTD broke basically upon purchase so that all 3 settings barely made any difference, apparently the first hard hit breaks it due to a production error. Sent it in after 2 days after purchase for a warranty and now it works without any issues.

MTB B'dos
    You won't need a complete new headset, just a reducer crown race, much cheaper. As to which fork, everyone's gushing about the PIKE right now, I'd have to say that.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi guys. I'd just like to resurrect this thread and ask if running the Remedy with a 170mm fork would be ok. I am also thinking of slacking things further by .5 to 1.5 degrees by adding an angleset. Ideas? Thoughts? I am crazy? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Why do you want to use a 170mm fork? Are you constantly bottoming the existing one? In theory such a change will affect your bike geometry and slacken the head angle. Personally I don't believe that anything will break etc but I am not sure that you could do anything else than going downhill after this change. If I ever change my fork on my Fuel I will use a Talas fork for sure so I can have one setting close to my existing travel and geometry and another more aggressive for going downhill. On the other side some people with an already big enough travel use a lower setting for going easier uphill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mainly so I don't have to open up the Marz 55CR fork which comes in 170 originally to convert it to 150.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just an update. I settled for a 2010 Fox Van 36 160 RC2 fork. It was a straight swap with my 2013 fork. Will be trying it out on the trails this weekend.