mtbr member
    Aug 2008

My Remedy and some Qs?

Hi!! im from Venezuela, this is my remedy, bought it on ebay.

Here are some crappy pics that dont do it justice, its a beautiful bike.

I ordered some Sun Ringle Charger wheels to replace the crap thats on there, a BBG bashguard, some XTR pedals and some ruffian grips (Yetis suck IMO)

Great bike but its a bit hefty at 31.3lb with pedals, with the new wheels it should come down some but I dont know how to get it into Remedy 9 (28lb) terrain. Any inputs?

It has a 70mm stem and I think its a bit too short, Im thinking 90mm might be better. Anybody know the stock bontrager stem length?

The real question is if anyone knows by looking at this pic if the chain is short enough ar do I need to remove a link. It constantly falls from the chainring at my local DH run. (its on 34/44 rings)

bike buster
    My Remedy came with a 90mm stem. On chain length, you need to shift it into the middle ring and then have another look at it. Since the big ring will be coming off and a bashguard taking its place, you need to look at chain length in that gearing. I was dropping the chain a lot on rocky sections, but it hardly happens anymore with the bashguard installed and a few links out of the chain. Also check the limits on your front derailleur as that can contribute to dropping the chain as well. Make sure to leave enough chain to accommodate suspension compression.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    how do you like the 90mm stem? I like the 70mm but on really tight uphill switchbacks my knees hit the shifters while pedaling and on technichal long climbs the front wheel is very squirly (dont know the spelling).

Is the 180mm rear rotor enough? Im thinking theres somewhere I could loose some weight

bike buster
    The bike feels good with a 90mm. I couldn't go any shorter as I am 6'4"

Rear 180mm rotor works great for me.

Nevegals are heavy... you could drop some weight there. Are you running tubeless? Carbon bars? Carbon seatpost? Then again, how are you going to ride it? I wouldn't sacrifice too much strength in pursuit of a 28lb Remedy if you're going to be beating the hell out of it.

31lbs is pretty damn good for a very capable 6" bike... I think mine (XL R8 w/ Mavic 819s) weighs 33-34lbs...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Im running tubed and I know nevegals are heavy and slow but I havent found anything better except for maybe the nobby nics but they are impossible to find here in my country. The grip on the kendas is awesome
    I havent used stans but I just dont think it will hold up, besides its a pain and messy, tubes are so easy. What do you recomend? (I thought about mutano raptors 2.4)

I have an easton carbon bar and sdg ibeam seat post and seat which is very light.

I also dont want to sacrifice strength or grip as I like to treat ti like **** on the DH, and its holding just great except for the Marz 55 (but the guys at marzocchi sent me a new cartridge Im waiting for it to arrive, thanks TOM!!)

This is a M frame and maybe its a tad small for me as Im 5'11", but its what Ive got and Im not changing it

bike buster
    I hear ya. The Nevegals are sweet. I want to try the Nobby Nics but they are like $70-75 USD. I'll pass. I run a 2.35 UST Nevegal in the front and Specialized Eskar 2Bliss in the rear. I put Stans in against Kendas warning and have had no problems. 31# is pretty good. I'd be happy with that. I'll lug a few extra lbs. uphill for 6" of squish on the downs anyday. :-D

BTW, sweet looking bike. I like the white/black combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think that with the wheels, xtr pedals and 180mm rotor on the back it will be more like 29~30lbs and that I guess is good, will have to pedal more often to be able to lug the weight around. My city is in a valley made of very steep mountains so trails are very hard but I can ride in and out of my house which is great.

Here the only tires I have found are:
    WTB MutanoRaptors
    WTB MotoRaptors
    WTB Weirwolfs
    WTB Prowler
    WTB Stout
    Kenda Nevegals (might try a 2.1 in the back)
    Conti Mountain King (expensive as hell $60)
    IRC Mibro UST

All the WTB tires are heavier than the Nevegals except the mutano raptor and the motoraptor is equal but thinner (2.25 vs 2.35)
    The conti is lighter but expensive
    the irc is heavier

So as you can see Im out of options and will be running the nevegals which are non UST, Ill maybe try stans on them later after the wheels arrive.

I forgot to say Im swapping the cassette which is a sram 950 to an xt as soon as the wheels arrive

I also ordered some xt dual control levers to try out, currently I have xtr shifter and saint levers with dangerboy levers (which Ill loose if I swap to Dual Control).
    So the only thing Ill gain with the swap is a one piece shifter/brake and the servowave on the new xt levers.
    I got these cheap so if i dont like them I can sell them

bike buster
    Definitely stick with the Nevegals. I ran Stans in the non-UST version for several months before a sidewall tear without any problems. Stans actually sealed the sidewall rip after pumping it up 4-5x. I rode on it for 2-3 rides before actually replacing it!

My last bike had dual controls. I hated them. You can find them for 50-70% off from some online stores... for a reason. They are OK for XC racer types, but for anything else, I wouldn't waste your time putting them on -- but that's just me.

I know I dropped a good chunk of weight swapping the XT cassette for the SRAM PG-990 on there now.

My Remedy came with the new servowave XTs.... WOW! They are awesome.

Got any pics of your local trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no I dont have any pics, sorry

but the trails here in the city are great and very few rocks so sidewalls dont get thrashed often. The terrain is either wet and muddy (when in rainny season) or dry and loose.
    Most of it is very steep singletrack. Some people train on the steep streets but i dont like that, off road is much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey jet, what wheelset is on there right now? How much weight are you saving with the wheels you're getting?

I made the following changes to my R8 and it currently weighs 31.5 pounds.

Crossmax ST wheels with Eskar tires front and back (running tubeless)
    Crank Bros. Acid pedals
    Joplin post
    XT cassette

I already have an XC bike, so I'm not switching anything to carbon in an effort to save weight. The Joplin is heavy but I love having adjustable height. It's all give and take I guess...

Nevegals are great tires but they are heavy as already mentioned. You indicated that running tubeless is a pain and messy, but I haven't had problems. It is much easier when you don't have to deal with the strips though. If you didn't already order the wheels, I would look into a tubeless wheelset.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Chain length looks fine to me. Chains on suspended bikes tend to be a little loose. They need to be able to deal with an increasing distance between the crank and rear hub as the suspension cycles. I'd leave the chain length alone.

If you're worried about dropping a chain on downhill sections, I'd get rid of a chainring or two and shorten the chain so the derailleur doesn't have so much chain to keep taught. Ideally you'd get rid of at least one chainring and get the appropriate derailleur cage length (short or mid) to accommodate your new chain length. A chain guide will help, too.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    it currently has xm317 rims that are very light (and narrow for these tires!) but with heavy hubs. Front is a formula and rear is a shimano 475 I think.

Im thinking that with the new XT cassette, new wheels, xtr pedals I should save at least 1lb maybe closer to 2lb but im not sure, 2lb could be if I go tubeless.

Im thinking either conti mountain king 2.4 supersonic at least on the front and a 2.1 nevegal on the rear, or a wtb mutano raptor

I almost bought a joplin but its $200 that Im not ready to spend right now (after almost 700 on wheels, cassette and chain)

I ordered a BBG bashguard hope that remedies the chain slap

Members who have read this thread: 0