mtbr member
    Jul 2012

My new Superfly 100 AL Elite

Got my new Superfly 100 AL Elite. I just started using clipless pedals on my hardtails which are Crank Bros Candy's. I like the feel of the XT trail pedals. They are more solid. Wanting to run a wider bar carbon may be? Also would like to switch out the tires to some Conti's for better grip here in Colorado Springs, o. Included some pics. Any feedback appreciated. Now time to start saving up for that Remedy 650b. My new Superfly 100 AL Elite-superfly.jpgMy new Superfly 100 AL Elite-superfly-photo-2.jpgMy new Superfly 100 AL Elite-superfly-photo-3.jpg
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congratulations! Nice bike. How is the ride?

I am contemplating getting the same bike. Coming from a XC hardtail I would be interested in your impressions of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like it will be my third day out on it today. Handles great. I've heard the new Superfly's have a longer top tube I don't know by how much? Mine is a 17.5 fits like a glove. I will probably put Conti Mountain Kings on and run them tubeless. A guy at the LBS were I bought said I ought to run a dropper post on it. IMHO I can't see doing that to a Superfly. Also the bar is only 690mm wide and I want to run a 720mm wide carbon handle bar like what is on my Fuel and Stache, just feels weird with that short bar. They set the bike up in descend mode on both shocks but I put it in trail mode yesterday and feels more lively and snappy. If you can get your hands on a 2013 go for it. Hope this helps.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Congratulations! Nice bike. How is the ride?

I am contemplating getting the same bike. Coming from a XC hardtail I would be interested in your impressions of the bike.
    I thought I would comeback and try and give some better answers on how the bike handles. It handles like a goat go up hills you have to muscle the handle bars if it gets steep in the climb like any 29er does. Corners great. Descends well for its built purpose. This model had a really good review saying how it was more trail oriented than XC. I imagine the newer models like I had mentioned earlier might have more of that XC race feel. The stock tires are good but with all this scree in Colorado leave me wanting some more bite. I did dump the bike in the snow because it was a combination of going to fast and the tires. Nothing got damaged and I didn't get hurt. Both of the Fox shocks are great as to be expected. The group I occasionally ride with a rider told me not to under estimate the bike and get out there and ride it. I won't jump or drop like a Fuel with 130mm of travel. I can't wait to get more time out on it. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Endo that is awesome. My LBS has this model discounted about 30% and looking at the specs it has everything I'm looking for component wise. I'm going to see if I can demo this model. I have noticed many of the reviews describe this bike as a XC bike but also a good all round 'trail' bike which is exactly what I am looking for. The new 2014 Fuel EX seems to be most popular model right now but that is currently priced much higher than the 2013 Superfly Al Elite. For the type of XC/trail riding I do I think the Superfly will be great. Especially as it will be my first FS bike coming from a XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Thanks Endo that is awesome. My LBS has this model discounted about 30% and looking at the specs it has everything I'm looking for component wise. I'm going to see if I can demo this model. I have noticed many of the reviews describe this bike as a XC bike but also a good all round 'trail' bike which is exactly what I am looking for. The new 2014 Fuel EX seems to be most popular model right now but that is currently priced much higher than the 2013 Superfly Al Elite. For the type of XC/trail riding I do I think the Superfly will be great. Especially as it will be my first FS bike coming from a XC hardtail.
    At that much of discounted price I would be jumping all over it too! The other thing I forgot to mention was that I want to run a 80mm stem. Also I would like to slap some more orange on the bike. Looking at orange rims and a orange stem from Superstar components. Will change out the seat eith to a Specialized, SDG, or may be WTB, Bontrager saddles are a little tough but I'm not looking at comfy seats either. Yes orange is my favorite color. The Fuel has been popular since it came out. I haven't test rode it yet but I did give the Remedy 29er a ride and it was fun. I just can't see myself pulling the trigger and going after both wheel sizes in the Remedy unless I just want to build up that quiver.