mtbr member

My new 2013 Superfly 100 Al Pro!!!

What's up everyone, I just got my Superfly last night and got it built up.

The parts I have changed on the bike straight away are:-
    • Bontrager RXL Bar
    • Shimano XT Cassette
    • Hope Quick Release seat post clamp
    • Hope headset top cap
    • Shimano XT Pedals
    • Red Oury Grips
    • Bontrager 29-3 Tubeless ready tires setup tubeless
    • Bontrager RL Waterbottle Cage

Here are a few pictures of it.

And the important picture, the weight. I am pretty happy with it. I will be working on trying to lighten it up a little bit here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Congrats, good looking bike, came real close to buying this but ended up ordering a Scott Spark a couple of weeks ago. Let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks great! Red and black looks sharp!

Any ride reports on the new Bontrager XR3 tires? Thinking of The new XR2 or XR3.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 (Roval Carbon wheels, Pike)

Sold:
    Trek Fuel EX8 29er (Rhythm Pro wheels, 2x conversion)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Looks great! Red and black looks sharp!

Any ride reports on the new Bontrager XR3 tires? Thinking of The new XR2 or XR3.
    I have had a chance to ride them a couple of times. They have a nice balance of rolling speed and grip. I think I may try the 29-2/xr2 when these wear out as they are about 75grams a tire lighter.

Andrew
    Hey you built it up at Trek West. They're the best, lol! Nice bike -- I'm jealous of the front thru axle.
    Last edited by drizzoh; 01-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    Hey you built it up at Trek West. They're the best, lol! Nice bike -- I'm jealous of the front thru axle.
    It's actually a thru axle front and back

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    It's actually a thru axle front and back
    I know, but mine's a 142x12 thru in the rear so I'm only jealous of your forks, lol.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzoh View Post
    I know, but mine's a 142x12 thru in the rear so I'm only jealous of your forks, lol.
    Oh I see, I didn't realize that.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    What size frame is that?
    Trek Fuel EX 9 (2012)
    Trek Superfly AL Elite (2013)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    What size frame is that?
    It is a 19" frame.

MN/WI
    I got mine last fall, same size frame. Stock except for a Special'Ed saddle and red ESI grips.

The ride is wonderful. I frequently make use of the shock settings. Handles well. It took a while getting used to the wider handlebars, but being able to apply more torque has saved my arse more than once. And the Shimano components work well, especially the brakes.

Only other change I'm thinking about is going tubeless. The LBS says there's a Bonty kit for that. Is that what you used?
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    I got mine last fall, same size frame. Stock except for a Special'Ed saddle and red ESI grips.

The ride is wonderful. I frequently make use of the shock settings. Handles well. It took a while getting used to the wider handlebars, but being able to apply more torque has saved my arse more than once. And the Shimano components work well, especially the brakes.

Only other change I'm thinking about is going tubeless. The LBS says there's a Bonty kit for that. Is that what you used?
    Yes Bontrager uses a proprietary rim strip setup which is really easy to make tubeless. Each rim strip is specific to the rim and works really well. Also Bontrager has their own Valve cores that are shaped to the rim strip. Here in Arizona people struggle with flats a lot so tubeless is really the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Beauty!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How are you liking the SF so far? Any updates on the weight reduction? Hows the Race Lites working for you? Saw one at my LBS and it just seemed to be calling me. Do I need it, no. I just have to find a way to sell off my Niner MCR.

mtbr member
    I am loving the bike so far, it rides amazingly! Honestly I have looked at some weight reducing parts that I could buy but I am not sure that I really need to. The bike feels very agile on the trails and the more I ride it the faster I feel that I get. The Race lite wheels have been performing flawlessly, I am very impressed so far. I may make the change to the 29-2 tire (now the XR2 Team issue TLR) as I can save about 150 grams on the set. Other than that there isn't a ton of weight to be saved. I can do the seatpost and saddle but I maybe can save 100-125 grams there.

The 2x10 XT drivetrain continues to impress me as well. I had SLX/XT combo on my previous bike and I thought that was great but this XT is so snappy through the shifts and feels great to use. The brakes are also awesome, I don't ever feel brake fade and we have some serious heat here in AZ.

Honestly the only thing I really want to change is the spokes. I would love to have white spokes on my wheels to match my road bike. I think they look so much cooler when spinning so that may be my next modification to the bike.

Hope this helps and I am sure you will enjoy the bike just as much as I do if you choose to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    How are you liking the SF so far? Any updates on the weight reduction? Hows the Race Lites working for you? Saw one at my LBS and it just seemed to be calling me. Do I need it, no. I just have to find a way to sell off my Niner MCR.

mtbr member
    I have the 2012 Superfly 100 AL Pro and I've put it on a diet over the winter. I believe the 2013 version is very similar to the 2012 version except for the 2013 having the Shadow + rear derailleur which is about 30 grams heavier.

Here are the upgrades I've done over the winter

Stans Crest Wheels with Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo Hubs
    Maxxis Ikon EXO tires front and back
    Ashima AI2 rotors front and back
    Ritchey Carbon Superlogic Seatpost
    Ritchey Carbon Superlogic Handlebar
    Shimano XT 11-36 rear cassette
    KMC X10-SL Silver Chain
    ESI Racing Grips
    Shimano I-Spec Shifters Brackets.

This has brought me down to high 25lbs. Still debating upgrading the saddle and the rear derailleur to an XTR to get me to about 25.5lbs but for now I'm happy with the setup. Wheels, rotors, seatpost and handlebars were the biggest savings.
    Current bikes:

2014 Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fatbike
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    very nice guys. one question....are the rotors 6 bolt or the center lock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    very nice guys. one question....are the rotors 6 bolt or the center lock?
    On my 2013 with the Race Lite wheels they are center lock.