mtbr member

Mid 90's 6500 hardtail-work w/100mm fork?

I have a buddy on a tight budget who's riding a '96ish aluminum Trek hardtail. It has the original elastomer-sprung fork on which is pretty much a rigid fork now and I'd like to put my 100mm Manitou Black on there for him. Would that jack up the front end too much? I remember when 100mm forks first started to become a popular upgrade, there were concerns that they'd cause excess stress on the headtube junction and the frame was more likely to fail. Would that be the case here? I want to help him out not kill him. B-) Thanks, Steve

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    Would that jack up the front end too much?
    I dunno, how much travel was on there to begin with?

Each 20mm difference of travel is going to raise or lower the head angle by about one degree. I've got an older Trek 7000 that came with 63mm of travel and I wouldn't put any more than 80 on there because that would be too much of a departure from the snappy steering that I love the bike for.

That bike probably has a head angle around 71 degrees (+/- .5). If it has a 63mm fork on now and you put a 100mm fork on, that will slacken the angle to aorund 69 degrees. Now you're in the ballpark of a long-travel bike with lazier steering. I would not make that drastic of a change because of the handling differences, but I don't really think that the frame will fail (although I'm sure it's outside of the manufacturer's recommendations...)

Give it a shot, I doubt he'll be in any danger, and he might not notice or care about the steering differences.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Good call--might have anywhere from 60-80mm travel now. I will measure the crown to axle length next time I get a chance and see how it compares to my Black...