mtbr member

Messing with G2.....Remedy gets a Fox 34

So I'm wondering who out there has changed over to NON G2 forks and what they found.
    I have a 2012 Remedy 9.8 and just put a Fox 34 CTD Fit 160mm fork on it. I can change this fork to 150mm but thought I'd try it out first. I took some before and after measurements out of curiosity and a few surprised me. Here is what I found.

Head tube angle: old right at 67 measured at the face of the fork leg.
    New 66.75, I thought it would be more but I like it.

Bottom Bracket Height increased by 1/4 inch. I took this measurement at the crank for reference so no I don't know the BBH as Trek calls out.

The wheelbase went from 46 inches axle center to center to 45.875, yes it got shorter by an 1/8 inch. This must be directly related to G2.

I measured the height at the stem and was able to get the same dimension by removing one 5mm stem spacer so the bars are at the same height.

First impressions: Stiffer big time, the front tracks better in the choppy stuff. This was the whole reason for the new fork.
    Smooth, I don't know it just may be the difference in fork models but this thing soaked up everything very smooth.
    Climbing. The trails I've ridden so far have had technical single track climbs and are far from straight. I have notices no wonder or need to change my technique.
    Jumping: I don't go real big but do hit gaps, drops, stunt style drops etc. The 34 was more stable and again felt smoother.
    Turning: When I first rode a berm laden downhill run I felt like I had to turn into it more. This could be the BBH or being higher at top tube. The second time down the same run I was railing again, I just adjusted me body English.
    Overall I'm digging it and as of right now will leave it at 160mm as I'm not seeing any faults. I know Trek has worked really hard at getting the best performance they can so this was a nervous more. What have others found?
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    G2 is only for 29ers