mtbr member
    Jan 2007

max tire on trek 3500-4500?

Hey, I've got a trek 3700 frame that I'm looking to replace the rear tire on. Anyone know the max rear tire size for these frames (3500-4500 same frame for trek). thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You can go up to....

a TRUE 2.25" tire with no worries. Much beyond that though and you'll need have a mounted tire on hand and be able to test fit before your buy. Tire widths vary to much between manufacturers to recommend anything bigger than a 2.2 without test fitting first.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    alright, I was hoping a 2.35, but 2.25 is close enough. thanks for the help!

destructionismyobjective
    I fit a couple of earl 2.4s offmy bitter on my 4300. No prob.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

That's the think Crazy....

you can maybe use a 2.3 and in some cases larger. There's allot of variation in advertised size and actual size in the bike tire manufacturing world. Check out Shiggy's MTB Tire site. He has specs listed for a ton of tires from various manufacturers. Everything from claimed width to actual measured width and much more. Your best bet it to measure the space between the chainstays and subtract 1/2" for mud clearance, that will give you a
    1/4" on each side of the tire. Then look at Shiggys site and see what will fit, or look up the tire that you are considering. So measure up and check out the link below. If you can't find a tire on the site it probably ain't worth considering anyway!

http://www.mtbtires.com/specs/index.html

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"