aL1
    mtbr member

Marlin Sports Disc 29'er 2013

I'm seriously looking at the Marlin Sports Disc 29'er (2013): a lot of posters have complained about noise issues, seems mostly about brakes.....which to me could easily be fixed just by replacing with BB7's....

I know a weak point of the Marlin is the Suntour Fork, no argument there-

But are there any happy Marlin 29 riders?

I like the Mamba, but rather not deal with hydraulics-

I ride mostly city/urban terrorist-

Currently on a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc '09 that's about a size too big-

Thanks
    Last edited by aL1; 06-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi had a 2011 Marlin and really liked it. Yes the breaks are noisy and the fork was not great but it did what it needed to.

aL1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veinotte View Post
    Hi had a 2011 Marlin and really liked it. Yes the breaks are noisy and the fork was not great but it did what it needed to.

Thanks-
    Last edited by aL1; 06-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aL1 View Post
    I'm seriously looking at the Marlin Sports Disc 29'er (2013): a lot of posters have complained about noise issues, seems mostly about brakes.....which to me could easily be fixed just by replacing with BB7's....

I know a weak point of the Marlin is the Suntour Fork, no argument there-

But are there any happy Marlin 29 riders?

I like the Mamba, but rather not deal with hydraulics-

I ride mostly city/urban terrorist-

Currently on a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc '09 that's about a size too big-

Thanks
    Can I ask why you don't want to "deal" with hydraulic brakes? The shimano brakes that bike comes spec'd with are very simple to maintain and work really well. I used to run those brakes on my last bike and they are pretty good. Also the other nice thing about Shimano brakes is that they use mineral oil as opposed to the Dot 4 or 5 like other manufacturers brakes. Just thought I would give my 2cents.

Either way good luck on your new bike purchase!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 2011 Marlin (my first real MTB). I love it. I did have alot of issues with the brakes making noise, and have upgraded to BB5's (problem solved). I also upgraded crank set as well.

A family member decided to take up MTB and he got a 2012 Marlin. His brakes so far have not made any noise. Also his fork seems a little better than mine. I know the numbering on his fork is different so they are slightly different, but his feels better than mine. Mine has a year of use, and his is very new so who knows.

I still think it is a good entry level 29er.
    2011 Trek Marlin
    Shimano SLK Crank set
    Nashbar Pedals
    Avid BB5 brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just pulled the trigger on a 2013 Marlin as well. The brakes arent the best but manageable. The first thing I did was upgraded the fork to a Rockshox Reba RL and changed the pedals to shimano saint platform pedals. I LOVE this bike. Brakes will be upgraded eventually but first...anyone have any ideas on a crankset upgrade? Looking to run 2 rings upfront with a bashgaurd 2/10 or 2/9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LRPO View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on a 2013 Marlin as well. The brakes arent the best but manageable. The first thing I did was upgraded the fork to a Rockshox Reba RL and changed the pedals to shimano saint platform pedals. I LOVE this bike. Brakes will be upgraded eventually but first...anyone have any ideas on a crankset upgrade? Looking to run 2 rings upfront with a bashgaurd 2/10 or 2/9.
    Did u get a g2 reba? And what's the steerer tube length?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ve a 2012 Marlin and like hte bike and think as a city/urban bike the suntour fork will suffice but wouldn't recommend using it for anything beyond fire roads/dirt paths riding.

mtbr member
    I just started riding trail and the 2012 Marlin is the first new bike i've had since i was a kid. After a month of riding I'm catching the bug and seeing where the upgrades are needed eventually. Only thing I want to do now is get new pedals and grips. If I continue to get serious and increase the trails i'm riding I could see upgrading the fork down the line but for now it's fine (maybe its b/c i dont know any better). The brakes were loud initially but seem to be quieting down. Its kind of a heavy bike but i'm not racing and i started riding for exercise so that doesn't bother me at all. I like the frame a lot

mtbr member
    Just purchased a 2013 Mamba for my niece. She loved it!!
    "My world is a flood....slowly I become, One with the Mud!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bought a 2013 Marlin about 3 weeks ago. I have very few complaints, I did some upgrades already. The shifters had to go for a rapid fire style, so I changed out the shifters for some shimano's, and the rear derailer for shimano also. The bars went out for some Truativ hussefelt risers, and the pedals for some Shimano spd clippless. As you stated the front fork does suck, and I am not a fan of the Bontrager tires they put on the bike when it comes from the factory. These are all small things imo. My overall opinion of the bike is awesome, great for the value and you wont have any real dissapointments.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a 2012 Marlin as my first bike. I wanted a good value that I could learn to ride and repair myself and it fit the bill perfectly.

No real problems to report and I really enjoy riding it.

Now that I know I enjoy the sport I'll eventually upgrade to a nicer ride, but I would recommend the Marlin to anyone just starting out or looking for a good value.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red 31b View Post
    Did u get a g2 reba? And what's the steerer tube length?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    sorry for the late response. Yes I got the one with G2. Not sure on the length. Sorry I'm a noob. LBS took care of it for me before I even picked the bike up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have upgraded a few things since I got the bike other than my fork. Changed my brakes to Avid BB7's 180mm rotors with Speed Dial shifters front and rear, upgraded the stock bar to the Renthal Fatbar(renthal stem coming soon) ODI grips, Shimano Saint pedals, wireless computer, and soon to come I will be changing my 3/8 setup to and SLX 2/10 with bash gaurd. When I'm done the only thing I'll have left to do is my change rear derailer to a shimano shadow plus, upgrade my rims to a lighter tubeless setup, and add a dropper seatpost. This will be my bike for a while so I may as well build it for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sounds good. How do you like those brakes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    love the BB7s....they are a huge step up from the stockers. No noise compaired to the skreatching Tektros. I cant wait to get my hands on my SLX drivetrain. After that I wont be upgreding for a while. Anyone have any ideas on a shorter steerer stem? Currently I have the stock 100mm stem....I'm using the renthal fatbars; I heard that you want a shorter stem with wide bars. I havent cut the renthal bars and dont plan on it; I'm a big guy with lots of upper body mass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a 2012 Marlin and love it. Don't have much to compare it to, but I'm hitting the trails on it 3 or 4 times a week and it goes anywhere I can go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have about 200 miles (in 2 weeks) on my 2012 Marlin and love it. i came off a 2006 Trek fuel 80 and I can say it weights basically the same, but climbs much better. I am happy with all the parts for the price the bike was. i picked it up for $590. The drivetrain is good enough for what I do, but I do notice a gear ratio jump when you start getting into the lower gears. The brakes and fork are enough for the terrain I ride in the California central coast. I do plan on upgrading the fork to a Fox or Reba and brakes eventually, but other than that everything is good enough for me. I am trying to be less gucci than I was...no more eye balling that XO anymore. Took me about 2 days to get use to the all thumbs Sram shifting, but it seems ok.

mtbr member
    only about 30 miles so far & loving it. haven't hit any difficult trails yet.

brakes are loud for sure. hoping to get it out today for a long ride.

mtbr member
    I picked up a '12 Marlin and the RST forks on my '06 4300 felt better than these Suntour forks. I plan to upgrade to BB7's soon to cure some of the braking problems.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Marlin, put about 500 miles on it this summer. Mainly trails, and gravel roads, nothing too technical

The only complaint is the crappy brakes. Mine don't squeak, but they just don't work. I have cleaned them off with brake cleaner, there is no oil on them. They are worthless when wet or muddy.

I can live with the cheap fork.

The tires are fine, for steep muddy stuff, try running 20 psi, big difference. I was running 45 psi.

Is there any chance there is a better brake pad? I'm not ready to throw new brakes on it yet.

Over all, I love it.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2013 Marlin, overall I have been satisfied with it. My brakes haven't been too loud, thought they aren't as powerful as I would like, however I have really put them to the test on some steep, long decents and they have been adequate. My first major upgrade will probably be wheels/tires. When the time comes brakes, fork and then possibly drivetrain. Overall good bike for the price point.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 Marlin that I bought new in October 2010. I have replaced the saddle, grips, pedals, brakes, fork, cassette, chain, and tires. The saddle, grips and pedals were personal preference replacements pretty early on. The brakes lacked precision stopping power and the disks would not stay true so those got replaced pretty quick. I went with Juicy 3.5s because I could get them on closeout super cheap. I've kept them and they work great, but they have the infamous turkey warble with this frame. That's not the end of the world, I needed a chainstay protector anyway. I waited until the fork wore out to replace it and then went with a 100 mm G2 Reba RL with a remote. The cassette and chain got replaced because they wore out. They were not upgraded. I have changed the tires to suit my riding conditions.

I have been very, very happy with this bike. I live in a flat area with a mixture of old-school trails and newer purpose-built flow trails and this bike has been perfect for it.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.