mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Mamba sizing advice requested.

I'm new to 29ers and am unsure of how I should size a Mamba that I'm considering buying. I'm about 5'6.5" with a cycling inseam of 31.5". Would a 15.5 (effective top tube of 57.0cm/22.44 in) be too small? Would a 17.5 (effective top tube of 60.2cm/23.7in) be too big? I've only done the parking lot test ride, and not being familiar with how a 29er should feel, I just don't know what would work best for me.

mtbr member
    Do you have a bike shop that allows demos for a day? My closest shop will let you take out a bike to ride on trails or whatever your choosing instead of just cruising around the parking lot. Might not be a mamba, but usually you can try something with pretty similar measurements.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'3-4ish and have a 21" mamba. It's my first 29er as well and definitely felt big for a while, but after riding it for a while I'm glad I didn't go with anything smaller.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I need to check into what's actually available for demo/rental around here. Almost all of the rentals listed on the websites of the local shops are full-suspension, but maybe I can track down a hardtail or two in similar sizes to try. It's fairly confusing trying to sort out the differing opinions on sizing. It will be a few weeks yet before the trails here dry out enough to ride, so I'm just mulling over my options at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Mamba sizing advice requested.

I'm just under 5' 9" and got a 17.5 size 2013 Mamba. Not exactly sure what my inseam length is (about 31-32"???), but I love the fit of the bike at this size. But I prefer feeling "in the bike" rather than on top of it.

Even when I do medium-length pavement rides on it (20+ miles), I still feel comfortable after those distances. Longest trail ride I've done at once in it is about 16 miles and the geometry makes it comfortable yet easy to handle for me.