mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Made the upgrade to Bontrager xxx lite stem/bar now I need to cut my steerer tube?!?!

Hey all, well I finally got the new xxx lite stem/bar on my Fuel Ex 5.5 and all went well. However I put this all together and realized the xxx lite stem is quite a bit shorter in height at the neck where it connects to the steerer tube than the stock one. This had to make me use all 40 mm of the spacer kit included in the stem... Now it kinda looks a little funny with a freakish long neck?? I rode it and it feels ok but does sit me up hight do to the bar having more of a rise than the stock one. I contacted Bontrager and they said I should cut the tube smaller?? So what woudl I use to cut the tube and do I cut off only the differece between the 2 stems?

mtbr member
    I'd have a bike shop do this job for you...it's expensive if you cut too much off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree with Nater. Not only will a (good) shop cut the steerer to the correct length, they will finish the cut off with a wire wheel to get rid of the sharp metal edge so that it doesn't cut into the carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am reconsidering the tube cut? I tried my bike and like the way my body position is. I took a look at my new trek hardtail and that has exactly 40 mm space between bottom of stem and headset. I guess as long as it feels good I should worry about looks...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Go with it. Just ride it like that for awhile. It's always easier to cut it later than it is to regrow it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Have you thought about flipping the stem to get a lower bar height? I did that, and it also makes for a longer reach. The angle on the XXX-lite stem is 12 degrees, which may be more than what you had on there before. As for cutting the steerer, stack the spacers above the stem and ride it to determine ride height before you cut the steerer tube. A pipe cutter works great in giving you a nice square cut, just make sure to clean up the edge with a file afterwards.