mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Love my new bike...but the saddle has to go.

I just took out my Trek 6700 for another ride today and I really think I need another seat. I am somewhat big...38-40 waist, 5'9 and 200 lbs. It just came with the standard Bontrager Race Basic Lux seat. Would a wider seat be the answer?? My sit bones are killing me only after a 15 mile run.

Elsievo
    If you're like me the first 3-4 rides in spring are fairly painful in the hind quarters. If you have only ridden a couple times I would give it a bit more time before changing seats. In the case of my wife a wider seat brought about other problems. I'm 5'7" 185 lbs and use the Bontrager seat with the little gel patch near the nose. It's quite comfortable for me after about 2 weeks of riding. I've heard good things about the Specialized body glove seats as well as WTB. Check out the ratings on MTBR.com and the opinions expressed there might get you headed in the right direction if a new seat needs to be tried.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Are you wearing padded biking shorts? If not, pick up a pair they may help.

Double-metric mtb man
    The cycling shorts suggestion is good, but the seat could be to blame as well...I find many of the Bonty seats are thinner and not padded as well to keep them light.

My Cake came with a 130mm wide Select that was too thin for my 6' 240lb frame. I replaced it with a WTB Lazer V (142 mm wide) and it has made a ton of difference. The WTB saddles have a bit more padding and, to me, a much better channel in the middle for male comfort. I have already done a couple of 20 km runs and the new seat has made quite a difference in my cycling comfort (and yes, I do use cycling shorts too).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I actually found the bonty seat that came on my ex 8 to be comfortable but seats are very specfic to the ass that is on it. I always wear padded shorts and upgraded to a Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow. Even less padding but I love it even more then the bonty.

I would get some padded shorts first and see how you do and then go for a wider seat. More padding is not always necessary just something that fits you better.

Double-metric mtb man
    Kaikara, I agree with you...there are some really nice seats out there with no padding on them at all. If they fit your sit bones right, they are an absolute dream to ride.

Padded shorts will help, but if the seat is wrong, they can only help so much

Ride Everything
    I'm a real fan of WTB's Pure V saddle. Wide enough for good support, but not "cruiser wide" if you know what I mean. As with all saddles, it boils down to preference, however.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    yeah there are lots of compliments on the WTB pure V saddle - I think the poster just needs to try a couple out to see what works for him. Sounds like wider is going to be better. The problem is getting to test them without buying them. Hopefully you will have a good LBS nearby that will allow you to try a couple.

mtbr member
    How many times have you had the bike out? I thought the seat on my 6500 was pretty uncomfortable for the first three rides (i'm 6'4" 250 w/ 38 in waist). I got used to it on the fourth ride today though. I was also thinking about replacing the seat until today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I never wore bike shorts before...I went to my LBS to look at seats and they suggested the same thing about getting bike shorts first. I was looking at a pair of Sugoi shorts that had a triple layer padding to cover the sit bones. These were $130 CDN But, I might go for them.

catskillclimber
    You don't have to get used to the seat, just get rid of it. The idea that one's ass has to become used to an uncomfortable ride is silly. Most of the Bontrager seats are very uncomfortable compared to their competition and Trek/Fisher continue to spec their bikes with the selects, sports, and race lux saddles when Bontrager has better (cmz comfort) saddles to choose from. If you spend that much on a bike they should find a seat that fits your arse. I switched mine and it made a world of difference. Two of my friends went to the LBS, one got a Pirana and one a Cobia, and both had the race lux saddles and they both argued with the shop until they were switched. When the salesman finally gave up and said "OK you win. I'll switch the seat. Everyone asks for a different seat." That said it all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by catskillclimber
    You don't have to get used to the seat, just get rid of it. The idea that one's ass has to become used to an uncomfortable ride is silly. Most of the Bontrager seats are very uncomfortable compared to their competition and Trek/Fisher continue to spec their bikes with the selects, sports, and race lux saddles when Bontrager has better (cmz comfort) saddles to choose from. If you spend that much on a bike they should find a seat that fits your arse. I switched mine and it made a world of difference. Two of my friends went to the LBS, one got a Pirana and one a Cobia, and both had the race lux saddles and they both argued with the shop until they were switched. When the salesman finally gave up and said "OK you win. I'll switch the seat. Everyone asks for a different seat." That said it all.

I expected the seat would be comfortable...but its less comfortable than my old bike which was a thousand bucks less. Besides the seat...I love my new bike. My LBS told me if I do get a seat...that I should get a WTB seat. They only had the WTB Speed V in stock...which was $40 CDN. It was alot wider than my Bonti seat. I hope just buying a good pair of bike shorts will make my rides more comfortable.

Double-metric mtb man
    If you're a member of MEC and have one near by, they have some good options for cycling shorts that won't break the bank.

Dodging the Trap
    Finding a saddle that fits is magic.
    Get a good pair of padded shorts first. You may not need to switch seats.
    I like the Pearl Izumi the best. I never thought I would wear lycra but I would not ride with out it now. Wear them under a pair of baggies or Levis when the tights look is wrong.
    I got lucky and hit on a good seat on the second try.
    The first seat I tried was a Selle 145mm which was better than the original seat.
    Later I stopped in the bike shop and used this padded board that mesures your sit bones. Tried out a Specilized gel seat with a V cut 145mm. There might be a better seat but I'm not looking right now.
    Good luck.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Tried out a Specilized gel seat with a V cut 145mm.

How did you like the Specialized gel seat? which one did you end up buying?

Dodging the Trap

Specialized Gel Seat

I am uasing the 143mm AVATAR GEL SADDLE on my Rockhopper.
    I took the original Rockhopper and put it on my older Hardrock.
    The Selle is on my trainer bike.
    Heres a link to the page on the avatar.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=25986
    Hope this helps.
    C-ya...

Dodging the Trap

Reply to mountain_bike

I bought the Avatar 143 about a year ago.
    If I find another one on sale I'm gonna snatch it up just to have a spare.
    The seat is every penny.
    I still go home with lots of pains, but not on my back side.

Ride fast the trail likes your blood.