mtbr member
    May 2008

Looking for Klein aficionado to help me with my early 2000 Adroit w/ tapered head

Klein used what could be one of the very first tapered production mountain bike head tubes back in 2001, but the dimensions are odd and the manitou forks where custom. There is also a tiny retaining lip at the top tube that holds the bearing when you push it in from bottom. The bearings are replaceable, but I want a more modern fork. I met someone who was selling cup kits that once you sanded that lip and reamed the tube his kit would bring it to todays standard tapered allowing the use of any tapered fork you want. I think he was using custom machined cups with cane creek bearing but last I heard he said he gave his kits to someone named "Harold" in San Jose but never communicated the info. I spoke with George Slough and Chain Reaction Cycles, both in norcal and considered highly knowledgable with Kleins and both pretty much told me "good luck." Haha. Here is a pic of my bike. And some pics of the bikes my contact who I have since lost contact with successfully assisted. So I know it can be done!!! If I remember correctly the green with rigid fork is a different option that can only be done with rigid frames. The orange one, also if I remember correctly, is fit with a todays standard tapered fork which is what I want.

What I'm hoping to find is someone who has done this modification and can assist me in finding the proper bearing cups and adaptors.

Looking for Klein aficionado to help me with my early 2000 Adroit w/ tapered head-scott_radinsky_tapered.jpgLooking for Klein aficionado to help me with my early 2000 Adroit w/ tapered head-img_1188.jpgLooking for Klein aficionado to help me with my early 2000 Adroit w/ tapered head-dsc01853.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's a 1350g masterpiece they said..... it looks like its been ridden 2 times and spent the rest of its life in a garage they said.... I wish someone would have told me it has the most annoying head tube in the history of mountain biking.