Double-metric mtb man

Looking at going FS...opinions needed

Hi All,

I'm posting this under all three makers to get some feedback.

At present, I'm looking at making the transition from a HT ro a FS bike. I've been a little more of an XC guy, but as my skills have come up, I'm looking at more and more things that fit into the all mountain type of riding. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of cash, so I'm looking for good bang for the buck.

Anyway, I've got my choices narrowed down to 3 bikes - a Giant Reign 3, Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX or a Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 - and am looking for opinions (yes, I'm doing the test ride thing, don't worry).

I'm a bigger rider (6ft, 230 lbs) and am assertive, if not agressive, in my riding style. I'm thinking that some smaller jumps (say up to 3 ft at this point, maybe more as I gain confidence and lose weight) may sneak into my riding.

Anyone have any thoughs on these bikes?

Thanks,

Psycho Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    my thoughts on all of these bikes are "yes."

mtbr member
    I just picked up a nice peice of Cake. My buddy has a Reign. I like the way mine rides better. The plushness seems to be better. He says that mine looks like it isn't as good.

I think the Cake is good for a tall rider. I am 6'1" and weigh 175. The guy a Trekstore that sold me the bike looks to be 6'3" and 230 and loves his. But then, he is a salesman.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm a bigger guy myself and am somewhat leaning towards the Cake as I already am riding a Fisher (what is now the Pirannah, but was a special edition of the Marlin up here last year).

Any issues with the BB on your Cake? Mine took a while to get set up and get the squeak out.

Psycho Mike

mtbr member
    BB is not a prob. The only issue I have is chain suck. I think that the bike requires very fine tuning. Which I'm not good at yet. I have figured out how to unsuck the chain without getting off the bike.

Double-metric mtb man
    I hear you there. Chain suck was the biggest issue I've run into on my GF. Thankfully, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so when I got around to tuning the derailleurs and learning when the bikes likes to shift, I found my problems deminished.

Rider of Bikes
    I know chain suck has been an issue with the Cake in the past, but apparently, that issue has been fixed with the '06. I've been riding my '06 Cake 1 DLX for nearly six months with zero chain suck problems. I'm a big fan of the Genisis Geometry, and the Cake, so I say go for it!
    [SIZE="5"]dirtyharrys.net[/SIZE]
    http://dirtyharrys.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've had issues on my Tassajara, admittedly a very different bike but still a GF. I've found as long as I keep the drive train clean and the chain lubed, chain suck is very rare and attributable to bad shifting on my part.

more beers, lees gears.
    really stay away from the jamis dakar 1.0. It is a good bike overall, but in the same class as the others. Giant makes a good bike, but In the past they have had quality issues, but I hear they are cleaned up.

The GF is a great ride. Have you looked into a trek remedy or a fuel?

The remedy is an awesome bike, and fuels have been kick ass for years now.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, I had been looking at some of the Treks, but the LBS that deals with them is typically a little harder on the wallet.

Now that I've ridden the XLT, I can say the sizing/feel wasn't great for me...nice parts spec, but i am going to go with the Cake as the design fits me the best of the bunch (that and I've found the little bit extra to get a Cake 2DLX, so I'm not giving up anything on the parts spec).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me