mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Liquid 25 - Any Input?

I'm on the hunt for a new (to me) bike to replace my Enduro (great bike / too small), and 'am pretty open to the brand.

I found an '05 Liquid 25 through a friend of mine that looks solid, and has some mentionable ungraded components (crank, shifters, cassette, wheels).

I can't find much info on the Liquids other than the few reviews here. I know the 04s had frame-cracking problems.

Just looking for input, good or bad.

Also, the price being asked is a bit steep - now in the motorcycle world, the amount of aftermarket "bolt-ons" really does very little to the final resale value of the motorcycle - I assume the same goes for mtbs?

Any guesses on what it's worth?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ive got a 04 25 and the only problem ive had is the main pivot bearing comes unbonded from the frame. i have replaced the main bearing 3 times but since using a stronger lock tight i have had less problems. the bike rides great and replaced my 02 enduro, i then got a 06 stumpjumper but sold that and went back to the liquid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the 05 Liquid is alot better than the 03/04, and

it was a fun bike in its time ( I had one for 3 years), but time marches on-it is not as good as many newer suspension designs, such as Maestro and VPP, and even Treks ABT. Unless the bike is very cheap (just a fact of used bike values), I would try to find a closeout deal on a new bike, Maybe 07, and soon 08 closeout deals are hard to beat, complete with warranty.

Vigilante Trail Groomer
    Jul 2005
    The '05 model is unique to all other years of Liquids.

Gone are the Black MAgic carbon fiber rear stays...and enter a new frame....by '06 it was deleted and the Remedy was introduced.

'05 is the only Liquid worth buying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info.

Dumper - I'm on a tight budget - I'm into motorcycle racing and would rather spend the bulk of my money on that - so I'm looking for "deals" on solid mtbs around a grand. No way I'm spending 2 grand plus on a bike right now.

Also also - the Liquid I'm looking at has a good XT crank, new Mavic wheels and other replacements done recently as stated above. Price should be around $700-$800.

But like everyone else on the planet I can't decide what would work best. Motorcycles are getting to be the same way - they're getting so "application specific" that you almost need two or more to cover all your favorite terrain the best way possible. Which kinda sucks.

I'm also looking at an Enduro, but thats a 6" monster and I'm doubting that'll be ANY fun on XC whereas the Liquid might be a better compromise (?).

Anyone? thoughts?

(Edit: Dumper - I know what you'll say(!) We talked about it last night and I agree to an extent. But part of my thing is, I've been on my '03 Enduro, which I think is a good bike, since '04 - I just want something different. Variety is the spice of.....)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ok, I have an answer for this situation, too!

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto
    Anyone? thoughts?

(Edit: Dumper - I know what you'll say(!) We talked about it last night and I agree to an extent. But part of my thing is, I've been on my '03 Enduro, which I think is a good bike, since '04 - I just want something different. Variety is the spice of.....)
    If you find a deal on a 5" or 6" bike that you just can't pass up, GO FOR IT! If the deal is that good , you should be able to ride it for a while, swap some parts, tune it, tweak it,get it out of your system, then give the next guy a "good deal" when you're done with it- everybody is happy. Maybe you will want an 8" bike next. Living at a ski resort, I'm sure you will find somewhere to ride it. Only one way to find out...Come to think about it, don't you have any connections to the DH rental fleet at the resort? You know, try before to buy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dumper - Yep, that's my train of thought on this thing. I can very likely buy this bike, ride it for the rest of this season (which could very possibly be 5-6 days a week - sorry to rub that in), then if I feel like it really isn't my best option, I can sell it and lose very little, if any, money on the deal.

My biz partner already wants to buy my FSR, so it'll almost be an even-up swap to get a new (different) bike. Just depends how "negiotable" his figure is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

hey, no problem here with riding season.

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto
    buy this bike, ride it for the rest of this season (which could very possibly be 5-6 days a week - sorry to rub that in)
    Ours is approx 350days/year. I think it rained 10 days last year. For trails with trees, we have to drive 300 miles, to Mammoth!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah I saw you live in CA - so ya I don't have much to rub in. I lived in CA for 2.5 years - 'used to ride the Santa Rosa Plateau in Murrieta (it was my backyard) and down in San Diego I lived a couple miles away from Dahley Ranch, which I rode every night for the summer of '03. Hilly and a ton of fun. And in Vegas we could ride 365 easily.

And oh yeah Mammoth is awesome. A buddy had his bachelor party up there a few years ago during the summer - we all brought out mtbs and rode all day long. Big Bear has some good woods riding too, which should be much closer to you.

I'm not looking forward to snow at all.
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 08-10-2008 at 08:59 AM.