mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Lighten/upgrade 08 FuelEX 5.5

i bought a new 2008 trek fuelex 5.5 about 2 months ago. i love the bike and it has helped me increase my riding abilities (i got too confident and busted my collar bone last week). but anyways, i would like to invest in some upgraded components to help reduce the weight of the bike as much as possible. what should i consider? rims, crank set, etc?
    also, is it possble to put a wider rear tire on this frame? where i ride gets loose sugar sand when it is dry out os i think the wider tire will help with climbing in the sand

love this forum, thanks for the advice.
    Tom

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I'd look at some wheel upgrades first. Decreasing rotating mass will help with acceleration and will be the most noticable upgrade. Be prepared to spend a few hundred, though. Look at some Bonty Race Lights - Great wheels, tubeless ready, and you can get replacement spokes at any bike shop.

You could probably put a slightly wider tire in the back, maybe up to a 2.3 or so without worries. Maybe just try to go tubeless and run a lower pressure to get a larger tire print for now.

Probably go for a two-piece integrated crankset. Now that the Shimano LX group has been terminated, you can probably find a good deal on some LX two-piece cranks - again, rotating mass.

If you didn't want to upgrade to hydraulic discs, I'd at least get a nice cableset to give you a better feel of the brakes. Jagwires are good, so are Shimano XTRs.

The most noticable upgrade is going to be the wheels, hands down. You could spend less and get a little bling by upgrading (and reducing weight) of smaller stuff, but for performance upgrades, go for wheels and be prepared to shell out some cash - well worth it.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Members who have read this thread: 0