Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is the Stache 160/160 rotors or 180/160?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    180 up front...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've seen a few 19 inch Stache 8s, and they've all had 180mm rotors up front and 160mm rotors out back (6 bolt btw). However, that's not to say smaller or larger frames will use the same rotor sizes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    all models and frames sizes...180 up front...160 in rear

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

First ride report

First ride was a little muddy but this bike is awesome, it just wants to go fast. Setting it up tubeless this week. Added my Y.A.W.Y.D top cap for a nice personal touch.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-firstride.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-topcap.jpg

singletrak junkie
    they are just as sweet dirty as they are clean !!
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    I only had to travel 1,300 miles to get a picture of it in the wild but I finally succeeded! Visiting my folks in Florida; first time ever riding in palm trees!

I think I've got it tweaked about as much as I will for this season. Here's a list of changes:
    Tubeless w/ Bonty rim strips
    Race Face Evolve 70mm stem
    Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 120mm dropper post
    Fork upgraded to Performance FIT damper and stiffer climb blow-off valve spring
    Converted to 1x10 (Saved almost one pound) using 32T Blackspire Mono Veloce chainring
    Shortened the chain as much as possible to maintain good tension and I haven't dropped the chain in 30 miles of trail yet and I'm not using a retention device.

Lets see your Stache official thread-image.jpg

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Fork upgraded to Performance FIT damper and stiffer climb blow-off valve spring
    Like to know more about this.

Did you do it yourself?

How much did it cost for 1) parts, 2) labor (if you didn't do it yourself)?

If you did it yourself, was it difficult?

mtbr member
    I had an issue with my stock open cartridge, it blew out and quit working all together. Sent it in to Fox they replaced the damper under warranty. When I got it back the climb setting felt super soft to me so I sent it back to them again explaining that it still didn't feel good, too soft. Ed in service offered to change out the stock damper with a Performance FIT damper at no charge and looking at the service paperwork they also put in a stiffer climb spring to make sure I was happy...

I've got nothing but good to say about their service department!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Picked up a cateye strada wireless computer for my stache, really want to start tracking my total mileage, wish i had it from the beginning! Anyonr have any experience with this model? Any ofnyou all using a computer on your stache?

singletrak junkie
    I like the srava app on my phone, it tracks mileage and elevation and shows it along with a map of your ride. It keeps all your data on your profile (on phone and or laptop) and its nice to compare ride times looking for improvement..It even lets you compare your times to others riding the same trail. I also have a wireless cateye that I use( analogue type not digital) , but the other lets me see the exact paths I took on that particular day and so much more info. I probley didn't help you out much, but wanted to share that app I am really digggin
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My galaxy nexus battery would drain out super fast running an app for several hours like that with location access enabled. Which is why i went with what I did. I did install that app and it looks neat but my phone would die running it constant.

mtbr member
    Seems like a majority of you guys have Stache 8's... any 7 users out there? The 8 is out of my budget for right now.

mtbr member
    Ask your dealer what he can do on a frame set. My Stache 8 was bought as frame set by my dealer built up with all SLX, bonty rhythm elite wheels, XR2 team tires set up tubeless and he was able to sell it to me for an even $2000.

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

$2000 is still a bit out of my budget, but it's definitely worth a shot. I'd love to own the 8. I would also love to hear from anyone with a 7.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Seems like a majority of you guys have Stache 8's... any 7 users out there? The 8 is out of my budget for right now.
    My stache is actually a 7, just with an 8 frame

they are the same frame, the only thing that seperates them is the parts, I have had zero issues with anything, its a solid as a hardtail you can get.

the recon forks have been great for my type of riding, shifters/gears all shift silently,work flawlessly. the elixer 3 brakes work perfect and have great stopping power. Cranks are super smooth, seat comfy.

I cant think of anything I dont like.

did order an easton havoc 20mm rise bar in grey today tho.

I have swapped the stem for a 65mm stem and added a nice pair of flats, and am now changing the bars to a better quality bar.

its a sweet bike, a sweet ride and i suggest you go try out a 7

the stock stache 7 came out to a lil over 1800.00 with tax just a ballpark for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just picked up 2013 stache 7. I must say this bike feels great. I have not had a chance to hit the trails yet but I'm sure it will only get better . I tested 3 other bikes and not one even came close to this one. Thanks to everyone for all the posts and info.

mtbr member

What'd you like most about the Stache in comparison to the others?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lets hear about some of the mods y'all have done to your stache, my stock besides my spike spank pedals, I need some ideas!.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Being I'm a Clyde at 6'3 300lbs I felt more on the bike than over the bike as compared to the carve comp line I had also tested. Also the handling of the bike ( for the test ride) I felt more In control. Very excited to see what it can do on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lets see your Stache official thread-bike.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike1.jpg

My new stache 7 on the way home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Get those reflectors off yo...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    LOL.....The reflectors and stickers are all gone. Cage , bottle and saddle bag installed. Still waiting on DMR vault pedals and Odi lock grips to come in. This was in the parking lot of my LBS just after loading it to go home.

mtbr member
    What size did you end up going with? 21?

I'm 6'1 and I think I may end up with a 19, but I am not sure yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's a 21 but its really only a 20 due to the slacker style Frame. I would say try a 19 and 21. I liked the feel off the 21 over the 23 and I'm 6'3

mtbr member

I am wondering if my LBS will have various sizes to try out. Last time I was there they didn't have anything in stock.

Trek's virtual vs. actual sizing is weird as hell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would say try any 21 they have in stock. If its way too big then stick with the 19. If its close they should order a 21 in for you to try out. Most LBS will order what you want knowing that you may not like it and they will then have to stock it. Just only have them order it when you are ready to buy.

I hate that name.
    The virtual number is what matters, the actual number is mostly irrelevant.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Some new candy for my stache...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Some new candy for my stache...
    Good call!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Good call!
    Except. For those rims...for a stache i'd think a flow ex rim would be my personal choice...with I-9 hubs/ spokes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks good. If you dont mind me asking what does a set like you picked up cost? What specs are the wheels (spokes etc)
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I looked at Flows, but opted for the Arch instead; I still will race this bike on occasion in an XC race. The Arches are a good compromise between the Crest and the Flow and, I'm riding the aggressive side of XC vs AllMtn/FreeRide.

These were built by Chad at Red Barn Bicycles in Montana. He spent an hour on the phone going over my riding style, bike, weight, etc and we settled on supercomp spokes with brass nipples for a long lasting true.

The pricing was waaaay more than reasonable; I would highly recommend him for a custom wheel build.

mtbr member
    What does the stock Stache 8 weigh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys, what is the diameter/ size of the seat post clamp, mine is very iffy and I would like to replace it. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Hey guys, what is the diameter/ size of the seat post clamp, mine is very iffy and I would like to replace it. Thanks all.
    I'm pretty sure the seat post clamp size is 36.4mm, but I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Its not listed in my manual nor on Treks website, May just have to call them and find out. Unless someone knows for sure

Thanks.

I hate that name.
    yep, 36.4

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    A 21" Stache 8 (with a Rock Shox Stealth Reverb, Shimano 520 SPD pedals, Bontrager tubeless kit (installed), and 2 (58g each) water bottle cages) came out at about 28 lbs 2 oz on our scale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I had a 21" on the scale completely stock and it came in at about 27lbs with plastic pedals. That is depending on the scale you use. I think I saw in dirt rag or some other write up a 17.5 was about 25.6 lbs cant remember if that was with pedals. I found it best when weighing to put my bike on the same scale so I can see what the difference is.

I would think about 26-26.5 LBS would be a fair estimated weight for a stock stache 8 17.5, with pedals, tubeless and water bottle cage....ready to ride
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So uhm, I had a chance to sit on a brooks B17 saddle this past weekend and it put my stock seat to shame, needless to say my lady ordered me one. Here is the thing, i know its not really a MTB seat, and im ordering a rock shox reverb post on friday if the LBS doesnt have one in stock, will my new brooks saddle be compatible with the reverb post for those that own this post if they can tell?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    So uhm, I had a chance to sit on a brooks B17 saddle this past weekend and it put my stock seat to shame, needless to say my lady ordered me one. Here is the thing, i know its not really a MTB seat, and im ordering a rock shox reverb post on friday if the LBS doesnt have one in stock, will my new brooks saddle be compatible with the reverb post for those that own this post if they can tell?
    The Brooks B17 will fit just fine. I have one that has seen action on several of my MTB's. The B17 is a great example of how important padding is on a bicycle saddle. If you rap one with your knuckle, it will make a knocking sound, yet they can be supremely comfortable.

Some people like to trim their B17 to look like the pic below. You can search Google for "butchering" or "trimming" a "Brooks B17" and should find plenty of info on the pros, cons, and methods available to do it.

Lets see your Stache official thread-brooks_black_b17_chopped.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice im gonna give it a long test run before I even think of modifying it, 95% of my rides im on the saddle! But will be nice to drop the seat down when needed.

For those that have the reverb,which one did you go with as I know they have different models with different travel lengths

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    new bars and grips

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For those that have the reverb,which one did you go with as I know they have different models with different travel lengths
    Will be running the 125 mm travel and 380 mm total length in a 23" frame. Should be fine. Probably could have gone with the 420mm, but YMMV for your particular measurements.

mtbr member
    I was able to get a screaming deal on a 125x420mm post so I pulled the trigger. I would have got the 380mm otherwise. I didn't need the longer post with the 21" frame. But the couple grams I could have saved with a lighter post were NOT worth the $150 saved to me...

Another thing to think about is do you want left or right handed. Again I didn't have a choice with the deal I got but I would have personally got a right then flipped it over and used it on the left side under the bar where my shifter was. (Don't have a left shifter now because I went 1x10) Instead I have a lefty on the left, it's just more vulnerable on top of the bar than under...

singletrak junkie
    Im thinking about switching my seatpost to a 20mm offset, from the straight post it came with. My mamba had a 20 mm offset and I felt comfortable pedaling that thing around all day. I have over 100 trail miles and something feels off (not comfortable) while I pedal ?? Does this make sense, before I spend the $$. think its a 31.6mm post.
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Hey guys. Sweet Staches.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. Looking at a Stache 8 hard. LBS guys suggests 17.5. The Stache 7 they had in the shop was a 17.5, and felt good, but that was only a quick standover test.
    How big are you? How big is your Stache?
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Hey guys. Sweet Staches.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. Looking at a Stache 8 hard. LBS guys suggests 17.5. The Stache 7 they had in the shop was a 17.5, and felt good, but that was only a quick standover test.
    How big are you? How big is your Stache?
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and riding the 17.5. I opted to put a 100mm stem on mine from the 90mm as I like to stretch out a bit more.

A few recent pics:

I like using the xxx carbon seatpost, but I think I'm going to ditch it in favor of a reverb dropper.

I hate that name.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. I ride a 19 with a 105mm stem, but my "fit" (short femurs) requires me to be over the cranks more, so I run my saddle kind of far forward, which of course shortens the effective top tube.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast