Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Super Clyde
    Thanks!

Super Clyde

Lets see your Stache official thread

I talked to my LBS, they can get me a 2014 Stache 8 on Oct 14th! I can't wait.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Are they going to have three (Stache) models in 2014?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Are they going to have three (Stache) models in 2014?
    according to my lbs (US), yes, they printed me out the specs from the dealer web site. Available in OCT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anybody weighed the 28h duster wheelset on the stache? Also can anyone confirm that the rear hub is different on the 7 and 8. The Trek website specifies that the 8 has a bontrager sealed cartridge bearing alloy hub and leaves out the word "alloy" on the 7's details page. Foes that mean steel freehub body on the 7? Thanks.

mtbr member

Re: Lets see your Stache official thread

Just replaced the stock cassette and the 7 free body is steel. Didn't realize it beforehand but it was nice to not have to fight with the notches that get cut into the alloy versions.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member

Stache story...

About 2 months ago I started my bike search. I knew I wanted a hard tail 29er and so I began riding everything that I could! My original budget was $1,500 and I rode as many bikes locally as I could in that price range. I was always sure to ride them in the grass and anyplace I could off the road to try and get a better feel. Wheelie, bunny hop, jump off curb cuts etc... Having come from a 20" racing background as a kid I longed for a bike that took me back to those roots. Ride after ride I felt "meh" after getting back to the shop. Every Trek Hardtail 29er felt unresponsive for what I was looking for and I got the same impression from the GT, Giant, and Raleigh offerings in this price range. It wasn't until I threw a leg over a Cannondale 5 that something actually spoke to me. It rode small, nimble, tossable and I KNEW I had found the type of ride that I was after. It was only an $750 bike and I was suspect of some of the components but I loved how it felt. The same LBS also had a 17.5" Stache 8 in stock. I saw the price tag and figured I might as well take it for a ride and dream if I liked it...

After the ride it was exactly what I was after and I got a VERY good deal at $2,100 plus tax. Needless to say I bought it on the spot and have had it for about a month. The first item was to add some quality platform pedals (old BMX'er) in the form of Azonic 420's. In that time I have logged over 100 miles of single track and I have learned not only how to ride again, but a LOT about bikes and what geometry suits the ride that I am after! In that 100 miles I managed to bend the front wheel pretty good, I had it tweaked and re-trued and it is straight enough to ride the rest of this year and I also bent the rear dropout and replaced that. I also trimmed 20mm off the bars as well as the seat post. I found that my preferred seat position was limited as the post bottomed out on the tube taper so I re-marked the minimum depth and hacked away. Aside from that the bike is completely stock and I while I am VERY happy, I have figured out enough as to what I want to change on the bike.

Upcoming mods:
    • I am taking the stock Expert 2.3's tubeless
    • Replacing the bars with Race Face Carbon Next wide flats
    • Shortening the stem to the Race Face 70MM turbine
    • Seat post being replaced with Race Face SixC carbon I beam
    • Seat will be the Race Face Atlas I Beam
    • Deleting the small front ring and derrallier assembly and shifter. Will shorten the chain and hope that the tensioner on the rear keeps the chain planted.
    • I plan to switch the up and down shift lever orientation so I am pushing to up shift and pulling to down shift. Even after 100 miles I still feel like it should be set up this way.

I would like to shed some weight and simplify the bike a bit with the above modifications and make it more to my liking. I cannot fault how this bike does anything. I understand their are other bikes in the price point but after riding so many this felt like home to me and I do not regret my decision one bit.

Here is a shot of my bike from a ride this last weekend at the Lake Geneva Canopy Tour trails here in Wisconsin.

Lets see your Stache official thread-dsc_0320_zps60c94438.jpg

mtbr member

First round of upgrades.

After putting another 50 or so miles on the Stache 8 I have completed my first round of upgrades and I followed my plan in the above post.

First up is the Race Face 350MM SixC Carbon I beam post and the Atlas I Beam seat. I did this upgrade to reduce weight and to also change the seat. I wanted a slightly smaller and more minimalist seat and the atlas is perfect. The one bolt adjustment is also VERY handy thus far. I did not have to trim the post like I did the stock one to achieve the desired seating position and I am very happy so far! It is easier to get back off the seat when necessary and I feel like the carbon post and setup transmits slightly less harshness to my arse than the Bontrager setup did.

I opted to shorten the stem to sharpen response and to make it easier to get the front of the bike off the ground. I used the 70MM race face turbine stem. While I was at it I figured I would try out the 720mm RaceFace next bars to see how I liked them. Weight reduction is one benefit but many say that carbon bars help dampen some of the vibration transmitted through your hands. Because I like to ride very small grips and light gloves I figured I would see if it was true. The bars are VERY close to the OEM Bontrager but of course lighter.

I love the stem and the bars. The stem is what does it so you could easily re-use the stock bars or use a less expensive shorter stem to achieve a similar result. The difference is not small in my opinion. On tight switchback climbs my line is much tighter and easier to maintain, on fast sections I have to lessen the amount of lean on the bike as it turns in more quickly. High speed stability was not diminished in my opinion as it feels rock solid so far on the local trails. I also did slightly notice a slight damping in the bars without sacrificing bike feel or steering input.

Overall a very worthy round of upgrades and I am pleased that I did them. I am helping a friend with setup and the stem and bars are going on his Cobia and I will probably keep the seat and post as a backup.

As it stands right now the bike weighs in at just under 27 lbs. Goal is under 25 by the end of the build.

Next upgrades are tubeless on the stock wheels, pedals, and over the winter I really want to do the Mavic CrossFlex SLR wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westache View Post
    Upcoming mods:
    • I am taking the stock Expert 2.3's tubeless
    • Replacing the bars with Race Face Carbon Next wide flats
    • Shortening the stem to the Race Face 70MM turbine
    • Seat post being replaced with Race Face SixC carbon I beam
    • Seat will be the Race Face Atlas I Beam
    • Deleting the small front ring and derrallier assembly and shifter. Will shorten the chain and hope that the tensioner on the rear keeps the chain planted.
    • I plan to switch the up and down shift lever orientation so I am pushing to up shift and pulling to down shift. Even after 100 miles I still feel like it should be set up this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0320_zps60c94438.jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	829244
    The chain wont hold by itself from the tension of the rear derailleur, get a raceface narrow wide chainring they are not very expensive and you will be stoked on it!
    Get out and Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybeach View Post
    The chain wont hold by itself from the tension of the rear derailleur, get a raceface narrow wide chainring they are not very expensive and you will be stoked on it!
    As an update I did get the bike on the stand today and completely adjusted the front derailleur so that I do nto experience the chain slip that I was getting a few weeks back. It shifts better now than when I picked up the bike and I learned how to adjust it properly which was fun. They are surprisingly easy once you realize how the darn thing operates.

Awesome! Thanks for the input! As you can tell I already really like the Race Face stuff so that will be the perfect fit if I 100% decide to go single speed front!

mtbr member
    As an update I did get the bike on the stand today and completely adjusted the front derailleur so that I do nto experience the chain slip that I was getting a few weeks back. It shifts better now than when I picked up the bike and I learned how to adjust it properly which was fun. They are surprisingly easy once you realize how the darn thing operates.

Awesome! Thanks for the input! As you can tell I already really like the Race Face stuff so that will be the perfect fit if I 100% decide to go single speed front!
    You won't regret getting the narrow wide. I have one on both my superflys and my remedy and I love it. Ridden over 1000 miles this summer and have never dropped a chain, I don't even have clutch derailleurs on my superfly sl or superfly 100 sl!
    Get out and Ride!!!

mtbr member

Have been considering a narrow wide chainring but I really appreciate my bailout ring so the front derailleur remains.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    You won't regret getting the narrow wide. I have one on both my superflys and my remedy and I love it. Ridden over 1000 miles this summer and have never dropped a chain, I don't even have clutch derailleurs on my superfly sl or superfly 100 sl!
    I really appreciate the input. Are all of yoru bikes single speed fronts? How are you liking that?

The appeal is the simplicity and weight savings for sure and 98% of my rides are all big ring on my Stache 8. There are maybe 4 climbs I have encountered so far where I have to granny gear it and this weekend I am determined to knock three of them out on the big ring!

mtbr member
    I really appreciate the input. Are all of yoru bikes single speed fronts? How are you liking that?

The appeal is the simplicity and weight savings for sure and 98% of my rides are all big ring on my Stache 8. There are maybe 4 climbs I have encountered so far where I have to granny gear it and this weekend I am determined to knock three of them out on the big ring!
    Yes, I will never ride with a front derailleur ever again! I took a pound off each of my bikes. I run a 34 tooth on my xc bikes and a 32 on my remedy. I live in the black hills of South Dakota, which are the highest mountains between the rockies and the alps, and there is nothing I can't climb! I love it!!!
    Get out and Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Yes, I will never ride with a front derailleur ever again! I took a pound off each of my bikes. I run a 34 tooth on my xc bikes and a 32 on my remedy. I live in the black hills of South Dakota, which are the highest mountains between the rockies and the alps, and there is nothing I can't climb! I love it!!!
    Very cool! That is how I feel, I am only a month and a half in to riding and I am already building up my cardio and legs even riding platforms. I am confident that when I do switch I will not miss it one bit.

mtbr member
    I will not miss it one bit.
    I sure don't!
    Get out and Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    BTW guys, the Trek website is finally updated with the new Stache models, which are now 3! The 7 and 8 seem to be pretty much unchanged except color and small component changes, but they added a 6 for about $1400. That might be the best deal on a Platinum Aluminum framed bike, which is one of the reasons why I got my 7! Its a bike you can really feel good about upgrading since the frame is the best ALum Trek offers.

I will throw in my mini review as well, since I finally got her out on my favorite trails. I am amazed by this bike and I was really looking forward to seeing how the 29" wheels would fare on these trails which had some tight, root-filled corners that I would constantly get hung up on my 2000 Jekyll. I am now a believer of the big hoops as I felt like a beast on the trail and was unstoppable over sections I once had trouble with. This thing is like a monster truck! I did get the feel for leaning more in the turns and once you get the technique I never felt like the bike was too unwieldy even in tight turns and I could just stay seated and pound away through uphill switchbacks. The seating is comfortable which is why I wanted to shy away from "racier" geometry XC bikes, and I think this bike really nails the sweet spot for a do-it-all bike. My favorite part is how much I can attack downhills and how much confidence the big wheels give you, esp. tubeless w/ low pressure. Although a lot of naysayers will point out the longish chainstays and it could be a little easier to manual, but there is also something special and playful about the way this bike will float off of little drop offs so I think Trek nailed it.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a new to me 2013 Stache 8 last night, threw on my black and green Candy SL pedals, acid green Bontrager bottle cage....the rest is stock.

Can't wait to hit the local trails!

Now, debating a wheelset upgrade. Has anyone weighed the stock wheels?

What chain guide/bash ring are people running?

Anyone running the Reverb Stealth dropper post?
    Last edited by Swerny; 09-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Yes, I am. Love it. The Stache's intent yearns for a dropper post to ride the bike to it's fullest potential.

The frame, of course, has the hole near the bottom of the seat tube to accommodate the Stealth version, and it helps to keep things clean. I am 6'5" and riding a 23" (the seat tube on the 23" Stache actually measure 21.5") with a 380 mm x 125 mm travel Reverb. I was a little worried that the 380 mm might not be long enough with the shorter seat tube, but it is easily long enough for me, and the 420 would likely have been too long. The hose is too long, but bleeding is pretty easy if you follow the directions on their video posted on youtube (I taped the post to the back wheel to hold it in place while I bled the system).

mtbr member

I've just spoke to the bike shop who I borrowed the Stache from in June when I was waiting for my new bike to arrive. They're selling the Stache 8 (there a pic below to remind you of what we're dealing with!) on behalf of the Trek rep who owns the bike. He hasn't ridden it since well before I borrowed it, I'd even be surprised if he'd covered as many miles as I did during our time together, it's been sat in the shop ever since and has maybe covered about 30 miles since I gave it back. He's prepared to knock about 40% off the bikes original retail price.

I've been looking for a hardcore hard tail to run mainly in the winter months, I liked this bike a lot when I had it.

What do you think I should do? Essentially it's already my bike by default surely?! LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I've just spoke to the bike shop who I borrowed the Stache from in June when I was waiting for my new bike to arrive. They're selling the Stache 8 (there a pic below to remind you of what we're dealing with!) on behalf of the Trek rep who owns the bike. He hasn't ridden it since well before I borrowed it, I'd even be surprised if he'd covered as many miles as I did during our time together, it's been sat in the shop ever since and has maybe covered about 30 miles since I gave it back. He's prepared to knock about 40% off the bikes original retail price.

I've been looking for a hardcore hard tail to run mainly in the winter months, I liked this bike a lot when I had it.

What do you think I should do? Essentially it's already my bike by default surely?! LOL
    Give the poor thing a home for crying out loud! You already know the bike and it's history. At that price what would stop you from buying it?

mtbr member

Give the poor thing a home for crying out loud! You already know the bike and it's history. At that price what would stop you from buying it?
    You make a good case for me spending some hard earned!

mtbr member
    Just picked up a new to me 2013 Stache 8 last night, threw on my black and green Candy SL pedals, acid green Bontrager bottle cage....the rest is stock.

Can't wait to hit the local trails!

Now, debating a wheelset upgrade. Has anyone weighed the stock wheels?

What chain guide/bash ring are people running?

Aside from weight wheel's are a good idea on the bike and something I am going to change soon. I tweaked the front hoop early when I got it and despite being trued it still needs to be replaced.

Just run the Race Face bash guard that is designed to go with the existing setup. It eliminates the black spacers on the outside of the crank and bolts in place. Keep us posted on how you like it as well as your upgrades.

mtbr member
    Aside from weight wheel's are a good idea on the bike and something I am going to change soon. I tweaked the front hoop early when I got it and despite being trued it still needs to be replaced.

Just run the Race Face bash guard that is designed to go with the existing setup. It eliminates the black spacers on the outside of the crank and bolts in place. Keep us posted on how you like it as well as your upgrades.
    Was about to order a Race Face bash and forgot to check the BCD on my bike.

This is my first 2x10 and i'm used to 104 BCD on 3x9

Is the 2x10 the same?

So i don't need longer bolts to run the bash with my 2x10, I just remove the spacers?

Excellent, thanks!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Yes, I am. Love it. The Stache's intent yearns for a dropper post to ride the bike to it's fullest potential.

The frame, of course, has the hole near the bottom of the seat tube to accommodate the Stealth version, and it helps to keep things clean. I am 6'5" and riding a 23" (the seat tube on the 23" Stache actually measure 21.5") with a 380 mm x 125 mm travel Reverb. I was a little worried that the 380 mm might not be long enough with the shorter seat tube, but it is easily long enough for me, and the 420 would likely have been too long. The hose is too long, but bleeding is pretty easy if you follow the directions on their video posted on youtube (I taped the post to the back wheel to hold it in place while I bled the system).
    Cool, good info on the 380 length....my first thoughts were to go with the longer options but I winder if there is room for it with the seat tube the way it is
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Was about to order a Race Face bash and forgot to check the BCD on my bike.

This is my first 2x10 and i'm used to 104 BCD on 3x9

Is the 2x10 the same?

So i don't need longer bolts to run the bash with my 2x10, I just remove the spacers?

Excellent, thanks!
    The Turbine's on the Stache 8 are 104BCD so you are fine there. And yes the bash guard is designed to eliminate the tab spacers and re-use the same hardware. I just called Race Face on another question I had and they confirmed what I found in my research on the website.

Also I advise a shorter post on the Stache unless you are crazy tall on a short frame. The tapered downtube makes dropping a different story all together as it bottoms. I cannot even drop my 350 RaceFace SixC post to the bottom at stock length.

Ordering up the Narrow/Wide ring in 32teeth black in flavor! Time to ditch the front derailleur and all of that BS in favor of simplicity and light weight! Hell I might even drop enough wait to consider a dropper post!

Goal is 25.xx lbs by the end of the season.

mtbr member
    excellent, thanks.

I can confirm you are correct as I tried a bashguard I already had on it last night and it fits like a charm (104 BCD) just by removing the spacers.

Still need a new bash though as mine only covers up to 34 teeth. It JUST covers the big ring with the chain on the small ring, but not when it's on the big.

Debating a dropper post as well....I will use the 2x front until the rings are used up then consider going 1x10.
    Last edited by Swerny; 09-23-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    So I am picking up the narrow wide and am pondering which to use. Going from a 38 big ring I would like to go with a lower front ring. I don't want to lose too much top end but I do want to wind up under 1:1 and so I was thinking a 34 tooth. I live in the midwest so we don't have a ton of LONG grueling climbs but we do have some very steep stuff that I have not been able to do on the 38 tooth front in the lowest gear, but I am very close.

Do you think the 34 tooth is a good medium for an all around bike with some DH mixed in?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

1x10 conversion in progress

Decided to convert to 1x10, its mostly done just waiting for race face narrow wide chainrings to be back in stock here are the details:
    -Saint shifter
    -Saint rear derailleur with mode converter
    -XT chain
    -XT 11-36t cassette

Then I pulled a 32t chainring from a old crank, using the fd as a chainguide for the time being until I get either a 30 or 32t RF NW chainring and an MRP all mountain guideLets see your Stache official thread-20130921_192406.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-20130921_192715.jpg

mtbr member
    So I am picking up the narrow wide and am pondering which to use. Going from a 38 big ring I would like to go with a lower front ring. I don't want to lose too much top end but I do want to wind up under 1:1 and so I was thinking a 34 tooth. I live in the midwest so we don't have a ton of LONG grueling climbs but we do have some very steep stuff that I have not been able to do on the 38 tooth front in the lowest gear, but I am very close.

Do you think the 34 tooth is a good medium for an all around bike with some DH mixed in?
    You just have to be honest with yourself, if your real strong then you could maybe get away with a 36 but I would probably get the 34. The only time I struggle with the 34 is at the end of a long day 4+ hours
    Get out and Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wondering if any of you have experienced this with your Stache's and what you did about it.

Recently tested a 2013 21" Stache 8. I am 6'2" 180 lbs body weight with a 93 cm (36.6") true inseam (crotch to floor; not pants inseam). I also have large size 14 feet. Seat height on my road bike is set at 82.5 cm and I usually like to set my mountain bike default lower to about 80 cm to give me better descending. Also note, I like to be stretched out on my mountain bike (current old steed is a fully rigid Dale) and in a more of an aggressive stance (hands quite a bit lower than seat). With the 21" frame and with one spacer on top of the stock stem, and the seat pushed back all the way, I experienced the following:

1) When pumping up a moderate hill, I still kept wanting to slide off the back of the seat. It was probably more because I wanted to get into a stronger "pushing position" rather than needing to be stretched out more in front. But I could be wrong.
    2) My heel on the right side kept hitting the crank.
    3) While I had no difficulty lifting/jumping the rear wheel, I had a hell of a time trying to lift the front as in I would need to for clearing some obstacles.

I raised the seat height to about 81 cm (possibly close to the limit). That helped quite a bit with both (1) and (2) above, still a few heel strikes though, but not as many. Sounds like I need to run the seat higher which might indicate I need the larger 23" frame which I would hate to. But it didn't do anything for being able to lift the front wheel when needed.

Have any of you experienced the issue with limited ability to pull up the front wheel on the larger frames? Any other suggestions on fitting or fine-tuning such a bike for someone my size if I decide to buy it. By the way, I really don't have enough leeway on Time ATAC cleat system to increase the right side Q-factor to alleviate the heel strike more readily.

Do I need a different geometry?

Thanks,
    Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmasi View Post
    Wondering if any of you have experienced this with your Stache's and what you did about it.

. . .

Have any of you experienced the issue with limited ability to pull up the front wheel on the larger frames? Any other suggestions on fitting or fine-tuning such a bike for someone my size if I decide to buy it.

Do I need a different geometry?

Thanks,
    Nick
    I am very similarly built to you, 6' 2.5", 170lbs, 37" (94cm) inseam and have a 21" Stache 8. I immediately noticed the difficulty pulling up on the front wheel and opted to try a 70mm stem instead of the stock 100mm. That made it much easier to loft the front but it made my lower back hurt a little and felt a little too twitchy, especially on climbs. I ended up with a 90mm stem which I like quite a bit, honestly I think a 80mm might be perfect for me but the 90mm is close enough. All that being said, I ride in the mountains and probably would like the 70mm stem w/ 780mm bars the most but my current setup works good enough.

Regarding seat position I originally had my seat back like you to get my knee over the pedal spindle (KOPS) but I feel like the handling suffered with me that far back. Climbing switchbacks was very difficult, keeping a line while climbing was hard and I didn't have enough weight on the front tire when cornering hard and would wash out too easily. I decided to try my seat farther forward than I would normally, centered on the rails, and love it! When I did this it improved my climbing performance and lines and really has put me in a more balanced position to rail corners and the front tire sticks a lot better.

One thing with frame size is that a larger or smaller frame will not change your crank/seat/rear tire relationship. The way the frames are sized they have the same chain stay length and seat tube angle so the only thing that will change is how much seatpost you have sticking out of a 19-23" seat tube. Going to a bigger frame will only increase your reach and lengthen the wheelbase making it even more difficult to lift the front end. I think the 21" is the right size for you and I'm willing to bet that you could make it work for you but you might have to experiment as I have to find your sweet spot.

Also, is this your first 29er? It was for me and it took a couple rides to get used to the monster truck feel of it. As I've gotten used to it I now have no problem lofting the front or manualing off drops without a pedal stroke to help.

Hope that helps you out a little. ps - I'm thinking about selling mine to buy a FS bike here in CO...
    Last edited by Ufdah; 09-23-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: User error on my phone...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi Ufdah,

You replied with quoting my post but no response. Hoping you have some input.

Nick

mtbr member
    OK, I fixed it. I fat fingered my phone and accidentally replied before responding...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Remember that on the Stache, the 23" frame's seat tube is actually 21.5", and the 21" has a 20" seat tube length.

The XXL has a 26" top tube (661 mm), which is pretty long, so if you're 6'2" with a long inseam, you may find the XXL too long for you. I'm 6'5" (maybe starting to shrink a little). I spent a month or two on an XL Stache and found it was fine for me and could have gone with that size and been fine with it. My riding buddies tell me this is the first bike they have seen me on that actually looks like it's big enough for me. I have been riding XL frames for so long I am used to them. I'd be surprised if a 6'2" rider would prefer a XXL Stache.

I'm using a 780 mm Niner Flat Top Carbon bar and really like it on the Stache.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What is the big advantage of the Fox Shock on the Stache 8 vs. the RockShock on the 6 and 7? I understand you have CTD but I am not one for going fast on down hills over rough terrain. Would I really need the Fox, is it a better shock in Trail mode than the others in standard mode. I assume Lockout and Climb would match up pretty good. Thanks

mtbr member
    Well I got a call from the shop this morning and it turns out the rep had already sold the Stache, he felt sorry for me though and did me a fantastic deal on a 2014 Stache which I'll be picking up late next month!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well I got a call from the shop this morning and it turns out the rep had already sold the Stache, he felt sorry for me though and did me a fantastic deal on a 2014 Stache which I'll be picking up late next month!
    Was that a Stache 8, curious about the color, is that black or some dark tint of blue, hard to tell from Trekbikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Was that a Stache 8, curious about the color, is that black or some dark tint of blue, hard to tell from Trekbikes?
    I've no idea, I can't tell either but from what I gather it's a clear coat over raw similar to the 2013 but obviously much darker. I'll be sure to post some pics when it arrives.

mtbr member
    What is the big advantage of the Fox Shock on the Stache 8 vs. the RockShock on the 6 and 7? I understand you have CTD but I am not one for going fast on down hills over rough terrain. Would I really need the Fox, is it a better shock in Trail mode than the others in standard mode. I assume Lockout and Climb would match up pretty good. Thanks
    It is not just the settings but the overall travel and damping characteristics based on internal components. The fox
    fork will be superior in every way, that does not mean you will notice it depending on your skill set.

Be be honest with yourself about your riding and how you plan to progress. Are you buying to have a nice trail bike to ride a lot of XC and have fun with friends or are you buying to use it as a progression tool for more advanced riding?

I tend to be a proponent of buying the better product especially when the price point between a 7 and 8 are relatively close. The other components really do shine on the 8. Aside from the fork the SLX brakes sealed the deal for me!

mtbr member
    Good on you for doing your part!

Did you pick up a Stache 8?

mtbr member
    Good on you for doing your part!

Did you pick up a Stache 8?
    Not yet I pick it up next month!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not yet I pick it up next month!
    My LBS shows it in stock at the warehouse now. I am in CT.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Be be honest with yourself about your riding and how you plan to progress. Are you buying to have a nice trail bike to ride a lot of XC and have fun with friends or are you buying to use it as a progression tool for more advanced riding?

I tend to be a proponent of buying the better product especially when the price point between a 7 and 8 are relatively close. The other components really do shine on the 8. Aside from the fork the SLX brakes sealed the deal for me!
    I like to just have fun and get in a good workout. Been riding my current bike for 10+ years so it is time for an upgrade. I have narrowed my search down to Stache vs Fuel 29er. I will be at a Trek Demo on Saturday so hope I can make the decision then. I tend to ride at slow speeds on the Trail but they are pretty rough here in CT. At this point I am leaning toward the Stache since I am not sure the rear suspension on the Fuel will make much of a difference since I do ride slow and I weigh in around 250, but that is just my guess. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Attachment 834443Attachment 834443
    I like to just have fun and get in a good workout. Been riding my current bike for 10+ years so it is time for an upgrade. I have narrowed my search down to Stache vs Fuel 29er. I will be at a Trek Demo on Saturday so hope I can make the decision then. I tend to ride at slow speeds on the Trail but they are pretty rough here in CT. At this point I am leaning toward the Stache since I am not sure the rear suspension on the Fuel will make much of a difference since I do ride slow and I weigh in around 250, but that is just my guess. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
    Im a clyde (6'3 290) and ride a 21" Stache 7. I must say I do love this bike. However. with the money I have put into mine I should have bought the Stache 8. The fork works just fine for me, But the SLX brakes are a must. I ended up with SLX/XT Icetech 203f/180r.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Im a clyde (6'3 290) and ride a 21" Stache 7. I must say I do love this bike. However. with the money I have put into mine I should have bought the Stache 8. The fork works just fine for me, But the SLX brakes are a must. I ended up with SLX/XT Icetech 203f/180r.
    That is the same conclusion that I came too. I am a bit more of an aggressive rider and I wanted the best components possible. My first interest was a Stache 7 based on price point but when I compared the differences they were not small.

I would opt for the 8 and not look back to be honest. The Fuel is a very nice bike but remember that comparing a full suspension and a hardtail at the SAME price point is comparing apples to oranges. The hardtail wil always have a better component set for the same $. You will wind up with better brakes, front fork, and drivetrain typically. This is due to the increased cost of the rear shock and the frame expense/design.

This is why I went with the Stache 8 for my first bike.

mtbr member
    My LBS shows it in stock at the warehouse now. I am in CT.
    I'm in the UK.

mtbr member
    I'm in the UK.
    Let us know how you like the new bike once it arrives. kinda curious as to why they changed to a 36/24 from a 38/24. Only thing I can really justify is ring clearance. Honestly the Stache is a GREAT single ring front candidate with the clutch style rear derailleur. Eliminate all of the front BS, simplify the bike, lose weight, and not much else.

i ordered a 38,34, and 32 RaceFace narrow wide for the varying conditions that I ride, it is officially a 5 minute job to swap rings.

mtbr member
    Let us know how you like the new bike once it arrives. kinda curious as to why they changed to a 36/24 from a 38/24. Only thing I can really justify is ring clearance. Honestly the Stache is a GREAT single ring front candidate with the clutch style rear derailleur. Eliminate all of the front BS, simplify the bike, lose weight, and not much else.

i ordered a 38,34, and 32 RaceFace narrow wide for the varying conditions that I ride, it is officially a 5 minute job to swap rings.
    I loved the '13 model so much so that I was ready to buy it but this was a big bonus to me when I got offered the latest one. I was planning to go 1 x 10 using a Race Face narrow wide ring and possibly a 40t cassette conversion but I might leave that for a while depending on how the bike gets used. I'll definitely let you all know how it rides though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would opt for the 8 and not look back to be honest. The Fuel is a very nice bike but remember that comparing a full suspension and a hardtail at the SAME price point is comparing apples to oranges. The hardtail wil always have a better component set for the same $. You will wind up with better brakes, front fork, and drivetrain typically. This is due to the increased cost of the rear shock and the frame expense/design.

This is why I went with the Stache 8 for my first bike.
    I agree, I would look at the Ex8 which is similar in components to the Stache 8 but you are correct it comes with a higher price although thankfully both are within my current budget.
    The simplicity of the HT is appealing to me. I will ride them both this weekend and hopefully make a decision. I really want to see if the rear suspecsion makes a differences when riding through the trail at a slow but steady pace. BTW, in the US the Stache is coming with 36/22 up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ufdah, thanks for the great info. All you said makes sense and I like the detail. The 21" frame is, as you said, probably the right size for me. I would have to play with the stem, as you did. In reality, I don't think going shorter will be good for me although it might help, as you stated, the ability to lift the front wheel as needed. It might also just be where to put the stem vertically, ie. spacers/above below and flipping the stem (if that helps). I will have to check the geometry of my fully rigid to see what the differences are in terms of body and where the bars are. OTOH, it might also be a function of my lack of technique with a shocked 29" wheel. I have though never experienced the lifting difficulty with other front-shocked bikes..... maybe I'm just getting older. :-)

At your size, you might also have large shoes. Any problems hitting the crank where it meets the bottom bracket? I might just not be able to deal with the narrow cranks of the Race Face Turbine setup.

JeffJ.... also a very good point on the sizing of the XL vs XXL for someone like me. Any problems with lifting the front wheel when needed?

Thanks all,
    Nick

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's not the lightest front end to loft, but not too heavy either. Not exactly a 'manual-monster'. Somewhere in the middle, just like the length of the chainstays ;~) There are a few small jumps on my local trail that are fun to boost off of at speed, and the Stache handles them comfortably and instinctively.

mtbr member
    It's not the lightest front end to loft, but not too heavy either. Not exactly a 'manual-monster'. Somewhere in the middle, just like the length of the chainstays ;~) There are a few small jumps on my local trail that are fun to boost off of at speed, and the Stache handles them comfortably and instinctively.
    I agree on getting air on this bike. It is taking me some adjustment from jumping 20" bikes as a kid but the Stache likes to rip a bit. I recently rode a downhill style park in the midwest called theRock. They have jump lines as well as lots of wooden features and the hardtail Stache held up great. I just lowered the seat a bunch and took off! One pet peeve is that the seat tube taper for wheel clearance severely limits how low you can put your seat. I cut the stock seatpost and I still need to trim it so that I can nearly bottom the seat for jumping and features.

I am awaiting the RaceFace narrow/wide chain ring to convert the front to single as well as the bontrager rim strips and valves for the tubeless conversion. If it gets here in time I plan to do my first Cat. 3 single track race at the Fall Color Fest at Kettle Moraine here in WI. this Saturday. I have only been riding for 2 months but what the hell, sounds fun!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I agree on getting air on this bike. It is taking me some adjustment from jumping 20" bikes as a kid but the Stache likes to rip a bit. I recently rode a downhill style park in the midwest called theRock. They have jump lines as well as lots of wooden features and the hardtail Stache held up great. I just lowered the seat a bunch and took off! One pet peeve is that the seat tube taper for wheel clearance severely limits how low you can put your seat. I cut the stock seatpost and I still need to trim it so that I can nearly bottom the seat for jumping and features.
    I am using a Rock Shox Reverb (125mm x 380mm) Stealth and love being able to tuck the saddle down. I could see using a dropper with 150mm travel, but the 125mm is pretty good.

mtbr member
    I am using a Rock Shox Reverb (125mm x 380mm) Stealth and love being able to tuck the saddle down. I could see using a dropper with 150mm travel, but the 125mm is pretty good.
    Hell yeah! I am a total weight weenie and for now I am using the RaceFace SixC carbon post and atlas i beam seat. I am switching over to the single front ring and tubeless so with the weight saved maybe I will go dropper post.

mtbr member
    Got mine last Thanksgiving and have just over 3000 miles on it. Only gripe is the press fit BB is really creaky. Mine has the SLX crank and that maybe just an issue with that specific crank. Just put on the third chain. Replaced the rear tire and will soon be replacing the front. Nursing the original cassette, trying to get one more chain out of it.

BTW, the Fox shock is more of a shock kit. I would recommend taking it apart and checking fluid levels before riding. mine came with 2ml of float fluid instead of the recommended 5. Didn't measure oil in the lowers. It needs the correct amount fluid or it will blow through the mid range. The stock dampener is pretty week also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmasi View Post
    At your size, you might also have large shoes. Any problems hitting the crank where it meets the bottom bracket? I might just not be able to deal with the narrow cranks of the Race Face Turbine setup.
    Well, I haven't ridden clipless on this bike yet so my comparison is not apples to apples... I decided to run flats on this bike for the "fun factor" and haven't regretted it once. But, that being said, with my first set of flats I was running into that a little bit. I wear size 13 5.10's and the spike profile on the pedals caused me to put my feet right next to the cranks to feel like my feet were on the pedals and I would rub every once in a while (mainly in the first few rides). I just put on a set of Xpëdo Spyra flats and love them! They have a wider platform and I've not noticed any rubbing or hitting on the cranks. I'm going to say that this problem is more about shoe/pedal fit than frame design...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Based on input from this thread I ditched the front derailleur and installed the RF Narrow Wide 38T front ring. I wanted to replicate the existing front ring and test the setup out and I absolutely love it. Bike is lighter and no more worry about the chainslip I was having or all of the associated complexities of having a front drlr.

For the terrain I ride the 38T is perfectly fine and there are maybe 1-2 local climbs where I could use a smaller ring. The BEAUTY is that I also picked up a 32 tooth for riding in locations where I need more granny for clmbing and also a 34 as in intermediate ring. Now that the 38T is installed the swap of the ring is a 10 minute job at best and could be performance in the trailhead parking lot without issue. I also picked up another chain so that I could have 2 lengths based on which ring I wanted to run which makes swapping that much easier.

I also converted the OEM wheels and tires to tubeless and the difference is not small. I immediately felt a difference in communication on what the bike and tires are doing. Breakaway points are much easier to feel/predict and side bite improved very much. I rode the bike in a local race and I was bombing in to some turns a bit hotter than I normally would and I was stoked to find the grip!

IMHO both of these modifications are on the "should highly consider list" for the Stache as I think they make an already good bike just that much better.

mtbr member
    gave her a bath yesterday

mtbr member
    Bobby... Nice bike! This is Wes from the old SR20forum if you remember... I also have a Stache 8 as you might have seen in my pics.

Still taking pictures and messing with cars too?

mtbr member
    Heck yeah Wes. I remember you.

I'm really not as into cars as I once was. Not enough time or money these days! Id rather spend my time riding and my money on things that matter (read: savings and beer)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Lets see your Stache official thread-stache3.jpg

New Stache 8 on the first ride. So far, really happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suru View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stache3.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	837671

New Stache 8 on the first ride. So far, really happy with the bike.
    That looks fantastic but also a different colour to the website?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The color is the same as the website, it just looks darker in person (at least on my bike). And the lighting for this photo was pretty cloudy, so the color doesn't really show well...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Suru View Post
    The color is the same as the website, it just looks darker in person (at least on my bike). And the lighting for this photo was pretty cloudy, so the color doesn't really show well...
    Hmm, I thought the accent colors were going to be more orange and less red.
    Still looking for mountains in Florida

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Lets see your Stache official thread-stache8.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JCsMamba View Post
    Hmm, I thought the accent colors were going to be more orange and less red.
    Here is a shot of a Stache 8 I took at a Demo. You will see in this light it is orange.

mtbr member
    Lets see your Stache official thread-trek-stache-8.jpg

Actually so I see, mine arrived this afternoon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good seeing the 2014's! I like the colors much more then the 2013. I am getting close to ordering one, but I have a few questions.

Can someone with a 2014 Stache 8 confirm that they are shipping with 2014 forks? I think you can check here. Bike Help Center | FOX

Also, how do you guys like the 22/36 crank with the X7? Is it still quick gear switching? I demod a 2013 with the 24/38 and I am wondering if the 22/36 seems like too big of a jump. I guess I can always switch the 36 to a 34 to suit me better.

I can't wait to hear more ride reports!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
    Good seeing the 2014's! I like the colors much more then the 2013. I am getting close to ordering one, but I have a few questions.

Can someone with a 2014 Stache 8 confirm that they are shipping with 2014 forks? I think you can check here. Bike Help Center | FOX

Also, how do you guys like the 22/36 crank with the X7? Is it still quick gear switching? I demod a 2013 with the 24/38 and I am wondering if the 22/36 seems like too big of a jump. I guess I can always switch the 36 to a 34 to suit me better.

I can't wait to hear more ride reports!
    Picked mine up last night, Fork is confirmed 2014, code CFMQ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ready for the maiden voyage this afternoon. Had to chop @30mm off each end of the bars, they are really huge.

Lets see your Stache official thread-imag0122%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodie w View Post
    Picked mine up last night, Fork is confirmed 2014, code CFMQ.
    When I tried your code it stated 2013, unless I did something wrong.

mtbr member

When I tried your code it stated 2013, unless I did something wrong.
    It also states that it's a 26" Fox 34 when I try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    May 2013
    One of the reasons I stayed with the Stache 7 on my recent purchase. Did not want any drama with the fox shock. At a recent demo, some of the Fox shocks were broken, spinning through C-T-D all felt the same to me. I noticed this on the Fuel and Remedy, the Stache's were ok if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by bob_m; 10-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Oops, CMFQ, not cfmq.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ordered a new Stache 8 also, I am dissapointed to see that the TREK is filled in and not the outline like last years or like it is on the website, I think it takes away from the bike quite a bit...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here is my new 2013 7, need to get a better pic. I had the LBS swap in a 22 chain ring up front but everything else is stock.

Lets see your Stache official thread-2013stache7.jpg

R.I.P. DogFriend
    One of the reasons I stayed with the Stache 7 on my recent purchase. Did not want any drama with the fox shock. At a recent demo, some of the Fox shocks were broken, spinning through C-T-D all felt the same to me. I noticed this on the Fuel and Remedy, the Stache's were ok if I remember correctly.
    I have been riding (flogging actually) my 2013 Fox Evolution CTD F29 several days a week since April and it's been fine. I had a demo for a month and a half before that, and it was fine too. I rarely take it off of 'descend' and wouldn't really care if it had any adjustment there at all. Once in a great while I turn it to 'climb' if I'm going to stand and climb, but that is rare. It's not super plush, but it's very good IMHO and uses 80% on most rides, and more on others ;~)

I also like the simplicity of the open bath design and have no remorse that the Stache doesn't come with the FIT damper. I get the feeling the FIT is more about weight reduction than actual performance. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Had a filthy, wet and slippery ride this morning. It was a blast

..and clean

mtbr member

Here's mine, picked it up today, will ride properly some time next week.

I bought this as my winter bike so decided to run a 1x10 setup using a Raceface Narrow wide 34T ring, so far the thing flies quite nicely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just purchased a 2013 stache 7. I will be picking it up on wednesday. I was wondering is it possible to convert the stock tires to tubless? With some valve stems and rim strip. Also did anybody's stache come with a shock pump? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFE08 View Post
    Also did anybody's stache come with a shock pump? Thanks!
    My 13 Stache 7 did not. Good luck, I am having fun with mine.

mtbr member
    I know that the Dusters are tubeless ready, you just need the tubeless kit (mines on order!) and you should be able to use the standard tyres without a problem.

mtbr member
    I have been looking at upgrading the bottom bracket with an Enduro version as the stock feels a little notchy, which may or may not be a result of an accidental encounter with a pressure washer. However, this is my first press fit bb and I have no idea which one I need, is it BB90 or BB92 or what? Just wanted to check before I go tearing it apart.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I know that the Dusters are tubeless ready, you just need the tubeless kit (mines on order!) and you should be able to use the standard tyres without a problem.
    Any good links that point out the Pros/Cons of going Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Any good links that point out the Pros/Cons of going Tubeless?
    I don't have a specific link but;

Pros:

Lighter
    Quicker acceleration
    More grip
    Lower pressures can be ran
    A LOT less punctures
    Cool noise!

Cons:

More expensive
    Can be difficult to seat a tyre on a rim without a compressor (or compressed gas like I use!)
    Not as easy and quick if you swap between tyres regularly

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I don't have a specific link but;

Pros:

Lighter
    Quicker acceleration
    More grip
    Lower pressures can be ran
    A LOT less punctures
    Cool noise!

Cons:

More expensive
    Can be difficult to seat a tyre on a rim without a compressor (or compressed gas like I use!)
    Not as easy and quick if you swap between tyres regularly
    I would have the lbs do it and not too worried about the expense. Can you run higher pressure still, I am about 250 and like to keep the psi's up or I bounce. Bob

mtbr member
    I would have the lbs do it and not too worried about the expense. Can you run higher pressure still, I am about 250 and like to keep the psi's up or I bounce. Bob
    I'm currently 220lbs and dropping but a couple of months back I was weighing in at 236lbs. I run 30 psi rear and 27 front. You will find you can run lower pressures and still get the feeling you're looking for but should you need to you can run higher pressures but I don't think you'll need to.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm currently 220lbs and dropping but a couple of months back I was weighing in at 236lbs. I run 30 psi rear and 27 front. You will find you can run lower pressures and still get the feeling you're looking for but should you need to you can run higher pressures but I don't think you'll need to.
    Good to know, and will the lower pressure absorb some of the bumps better?

mtbr member
    Good to know, and will the lower pressure absorb some of the bumps better?
    Absolutely, I sometime even run slightly lower pressures on my hardtails in order to soak up a few more bumps and hits.

mtbr member

First post in a long time

But started getting back into MTB after a bit of an absence, thought I might as well post a pic of the bike. Got a 2013 stache 8 mostly for the price/component ratio and it's been fun, especially since a HT is fine for a good 80% of the riding in my area (100% of the legal stuff). Even did good tackling Downieville for the first time this week:

Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-d-ville.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I have been looking at upgrading the bottom bracket with an Enduro version as the stock feels a little notchy, which may or may not be a result of an accidental encounter with a pressure washer. However, this is my first press fit bb and I have no idea which one I need, is it BB90 or BB92 or what? Just wanted to check before I go tearing it apart.
    Quoting myself... Such a loser. But anyway contacted Trek directly and was told that it is BB95 so any press fit bb with a 41mm OD will work. Just figured I would post the info for anyone else confused by the newer bb standards.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a 2014 stache 8 today. I only had the chance to ride it in a field but this weekend it will see some singletrack. Does anyone think this bike needs a bashgaurd since its a 2X10.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333 View Post
    Just picked up a 2014 stache 8 today. I only had the chance to ride it in a field but this weekend it will see some singletrack. Does anyone think this bike needs a bashgaurd since its a 2X10.
    I haven't hit my 38t ring yet just the crank arms but I think it'll be terrain and riding style dependent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would highly recommend a bashgaurd, my big ring was missing 3 teeth after a month of riding. Depends on how rocky it is where you ride though I guess

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys, I am looking into ordering one of those Race Face Wide chainrings up front, probably 34T, and was wondering whether the front Derailleur cable is running through the frame or not? I am not near my bike so wasn't sure before I order it, I guess I could wait lol. I was thinking it would be a pain to reroute the cable.

Also, I don;t need another chain right? Just the ring?

Last Q - is there a need to plug the holes in the frame for the dropper post, etc? I feel like water will get in there and I guess go right to the BB and cause issues?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333 View Post
    Why does 2x10 necessitate the need for a back guard? Do 3x10's need them as well?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I picked mine up today! I went with a reverb stealth and spike spank pedals right away. I plan on changing the tires to something larger and tubeless. I will get a few rides in before dialing in the cockpit, but I am planning for a tad shorter stem and carbon Enve riser bars.

17.5 frame weighed in at 27.2 pounds with the dropper, pedals, and tubes.

Lets see your Stache official thread-d7k_5208-1.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hord1080 View Post
    Hey guys, I am looking into ordering one of those Race Face Wide chainrings up front, probably 34T, and was wondering whether the front Derailleur cable is running through the frame or not? I am not near my bike so wasn't sure before I order it, I guess I could wait lol. I was thinking it would be a pain to reroute the cable.

Also, I don;t need another chain right? Just the ring?

Last Q - is there a need to plug the holes in the frame for the dropper post, etc? I feel like water will get in there and I guess go right to the BB and cause issues?
    1. Both front and rear shift cables run in the frame.

2. As for the chain, you may need to take a link out but should not need a new one.

3. It can't hurt to plug those holes.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFE08 View Post
    I just purchased a 2013 stache 7. I will be picking it up on wednesday. I was wondering is it possible to convert the stock tires to tubless? With some valve stems and rim strip. Also did anybody's stache come with a shock pump? Thanks!
    I have done it with both the stock Expert 29-3 and the Team 29-3. Both worked well with the Dusters and Bontrager tubeless strips. I have been running the Expert 29-3 tires on DT Swiss M1800 All Mountain Tubeless wheels for several months. I think pretty highly of these tires for our local conditions. I'm over 250lbs and never need to run more than 30psi for the rear and about 28psi in the front. I don't add air until they get down to 25psi or less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfowler6 View Post
    I would highly recommend a bashgaurd, my big ring was missing 3 teeth after a month of riding. Depends on how rocky it is where you ride though I guess
    Yeah, eastern PA, rocks everywhere all shapes and sizes.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 576