Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Did you buy them? Going to be tough to install with that 1/2" spindle.
    Actually they were SUPER easy to install, it was almost like they were too small or something. I added some JB Weld in there just to make sure they didn't fall out when I really start mashing up the hills... We'll see when I take them out for the maiden tonight!

J/K I didn't even notice that, sorry for leading everyone astray... good catch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Hey guys, paid spam. I've decided not to use the Reverb Stealth I picked up for my stache. It is a 380mm version, 125mm drop, 31.6mm post, left hand actuator. Like new condition with bleed kit, etc. $250. Also selling the wheels from my stache 8, like new and in excellent condition. Setup with TLR tubeless rim strips and valves. $250. And a like new RXL carbon bar. Please let me know if interested via PM.
    Why oh Why have you decided not to use that reverb? Its like the bike was built for this post?? It's the perfect edition to an already badass bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey all, after much deliberation (and a Trek Demo) I decided to purchase a Stache 7!! So pumped!! I am about 5'11" and went with the 19" frame since it seems the hot setup is to run a shorter stem ~50-60mm.

My question is, anyone have some suggestions on a nice stem that will stand up to me sawing on the bars as I struggle up tough climbs? lol. Also, is the stock stem a 7deg rise? I do prefer a riser bar (big MX fan and former dirtbike rider) and would a 0deg rise afford me more rise in my bar, or is that not a wise move for handling/on a 29er?

Some FR stems Ive been looking at for around $100 are:

Bontrager Rhythm Pro, 70mm or 50mm/7deg rise
    Thomson Elite X4 O/S - 50mm/0deg rise
    Straightline SSC 50mm/0deg rise
    etc...

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hord1080 View Post
    Hey all, after much deliberation (and a Trek Demo) I decided to purchase a Stache 7!! So pumped!! I am about 5'11" and went with the 19" frame since it seems the hot setup is to run a shorter stem ~50-60mm.

My question is, anyone have some suggestions on a nice stem that will stand up to me sawing on the bars as I struggle up tough climbs? lol. Also, is the stock stem a 7deg rise? I do prefer a riser bar (big MX fan and former dirtbike rider) and would a 0deg rise afford me more rise in my bar, or is that not a wise move for handling/on a 29er?

etc...

Thoughts?
    the shop i got my stache from switched the stem out for free when i got the bike. i would ask them about it.

R.I.P. DogFriend

etc...

Thoughts?
    Lots of great stems on the market:

Race Face 2013

Syntace

ROVE G2 | Answer Products

Chromag Bikes - Ranger

SPANK Bike's website/tools for superheroes

Syncros Am 1 1 8" Threadless Bike Stem 70mm Aluminum Alloy 31 8 Black New | eBay

HAVEN

The spacers, stem and bars just have to get your hands where they are comfortable, and control the bike well. How they get there is up to you (rise in the stem or handlebar, spacers, or some combination of the three). Aesthetically, I like most things in moderation. Not too many spacers, and not too much rise in the bar and/or stem. Your idea of what looks good may differ. It's your bike, so make it your own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the help!

So I finally took her home today and retired my trusty 2000 Cannondale Jekyll 700SX been riding for 13 years! 19" Stache 7 converted tubeless by the LBS. I was really on the fence about the 17.5" vs. 19" as I felt better on the 17.5" (mainly in parking lot rides, it felt nice and small and easy to bunny hop) but could see it possibly being cramped maybe for long rides and also seems 19" with shorter stem is a hot setup.

Anyways, I was a little disappointed as the bike felt a little heavier than I remember other Staches weighing (obv. not scientific by arm scale lol, but I felt I was picking up a light bike before in other instances). I got out my scale and did the me + bike weight and got ~30lbs!

Does that seem heavy for a 19" 7? Any chance I got a heavy example or is that crazy? I know the RS Recon is ~1lb heavier than the Fox (and the LBS guy said he put a lot of sealant in the tires for whatever reason). Should I be bummed? lol. Finally, how much difference between the 17.5 and 19" in weight you think? The 19 looks huge in my living room...

In any case I am def pumped to get out on the trail, this bike in the "Lucent Orange" looks so sweet. Sorry if I sound crazy, but I always get buyers remorse when spending a lot on something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here are some of the reviews and the weights (all are 8's) for reference:

mtbr: 25.8 w/o pedals (not sure what size)
    pinkbike: 25.8 w/o pedals (17.5")
    dirtrag: 27.5 w/ time clipless platform pedals (19")
    twentynineinches.com: 27lb12oz w/XT spd (21")
    Dirt Rag: 27.5 w/ pedals (19")
    MBA: 26.8lbs pedals? (19")

Makes me feel like my 7 could be heavier than normal? Besides the fork where else could weight be coming from?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Makes me feel like my 7 could be heavier than normal? Besides the fork where else could weight be coming from?
    Wheels, tires, saddle, handlebar, stem, headset, seatpost, and brakes are all different. Could be coming from any or all of those places. A little here, and a little there adds up. If you're thinking of getting one two things to lighten it up, that isn't going to do it. If you have the money to do that, you should have gone with the 8 in the first place. For the price point of the 7, and considering it isn't supposed to be a weight weenie XC race bike in the first place, that's about right IMHO. I wouldn't get too hung up about it, just go out and ride the urine out of it and enjoy the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think you need to keep in mind scales have differences. When I have weighed my bike vs other bikes I try to use the same scale. For example a stache 8 in size 21" (not my size btw) stock with plastic pedals weighs about 1.5 lbs less than my Fuel EX8
    (17.5) tubeless, candy 2 pedals, bottle cage. Tires make a big difference. I swapped tires and lost .3 lbs! And that is rotating weight! If you plan on trying to drop weight start with wheels.

Long story short: Altittle here and alittle there all adds up!
    2017 Fuel EX 9

I hate that name.
    To reiterate: a little extra grammage here and there adds up. My 19" (8 frameset, so Fox fork) with a full XT group and Hope/Duster wheels is 27ish with pedals. 30ish would sound about right for a stock 7.

Your LBS guy sounds like he does the same as me... I always put extra sealant in non-TLR tires. (and in my own even though they are TLR, because flats suck and sealant's cheap)
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Wheels, tires, saddle, handlebar, stem, headset, seatpost, and brakes are all different. Could be coming from any or all of those places. A little here, and a little there adds up. If you're thinking of getting one two things to lighten it up, that isn't going to do it. If you have the money to do that, you should have gone with the 8 in the first place. For the price point of the 7, and considering it isn't supposed to be a weight weenie XC race bike in the first place, that's about right IMHO. I wouldn't get too hung up about it, just go out and ride the urine out of it and enjoy the trails.
    Well said!!!!! Most of us out on the trail are not racing.....just enjoy the trails even with an extra few pounds Love riding my hop up and down the hill...happy trails everyone

mtbr member
    May 2013
    im newbie, im 5'9 200 pound male, 36 inch pants.

should i get the 17.5 inch or 19 inch bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    17.5"
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, since ill only be able to go on dirt on rare weekends, how does the stash perform for neighborhood casual biking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Agree with 17.5...... Stache will be fine around town just bump up the air pressure and ride. However this machine will really shine when you stick it to the trails. Very well build, the harder I push my Stache 7 the better it responds. Just a all around top quality hardtail. I'm a clyde at 6'4 290# on a 21 stache 7 , and I have been amazed at what this bike can handle.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    M320 and others thank you for your advice. What should I put the tire pressure to?

Also, for a beginner, should I just go for the Stache 7 over the 8? since, I wont know or notice the difference (probably).

Price difference is substantial. Thanks .

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    At 200# on the trails you should be somewhere in the 28psi-35psi range. That will all depend on the type of riding , terrain and your over all feel. I would say start high and step down a little at a time. Fair warning... Too low will lead to pinch flats. On the road a few # higher than your trail pressure. As for the Stache 7 or Stache 8. That's all about your bank roll and what you are going to ride. I love my 7 except my Avid brakes (noise). The main difference is the fox shock and the slx brakes. Unless your going hard core on the trails most of the time, the 7 should be just fine for you. But if you have the cash to blow , the slx brakes and fox shock are very nice upgrades. I liked the burnt orange over the green anyway so it was a easy choice for me. Good luck.

mtbr member

Stache 7

yep not the best photo from ol' shaky hand's phone cam,,, here's another shot of the newish "7", trailside...
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20130428_135358.jpg
    Ride ON!
    BMXer since '66, MTBer since '86, longtime roadie ... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    I kinda have to chuckle, all this talk about weight reducing a Stache. Dont get me wrong, I totally understand, being an old school MTBer, XCer for many yrs & once rode a 22 lb HT racer. Now, my stock Stache 7 (~28 lbs), really feels light out on trails or when doing short climbs; relatively so, because for 7-8 yrs prior I'd been riding 36 or 38 lb FR bikes (2011 Spec SX-T, Kona Coiler DL) or doing mostly gravity riding. more recently had a 31 lb DJ bike which was my "lightest" bike had in a few yrs... anyway funny how things change. hopefully yall understand my perspective...
    Ride ON!
    BMXer since '66, MTBer since '86, longtime roadie ... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Well said!!!!! Most of us out on the trail are not racing.....just enjoy the trails even with an extra few pounds Love riding my hop up and down the hill...happy trails everyone
    Thanks for talking some sense into me! Not looking to reduce the weight, I was just originally disappointed a little cause I didn't think about it (7 vs. 8), but I'm over it now, especially after taking her for a short ride last night. AWESOME bike! I don't miss full suspension and the immediacy of acceleration in amazing!

The Elixer 1 brakes seem to be working just fine so far, pretty good power and modulation, though I may go SLX on the front eventually. RS Recon Silver seems like it does a workmanlike job and feels nice and smooth. For the lower price I definitely don't regret going with the 7 over the 8, still get the Platinum frame and the Orange color is really sweet (of course if you have the $$ go 8, totally a complete package, but couldn't swing $2400). Also glad I went with the 19" at ~6ft w/shoes on, it feels like the right size. I would post a pic but it looks like a stock Stache 7! lol

Thanks for all the input!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi
    Looking to upgrade my 10+ year old 26” Trek 4900 and looking at the Stache 7. I see that the Stache only has two chain rings up front. Will the granny gear on the Stache be equivalent to my current 26” granny gear which has three rings? Basically will it just be the largest ring that I am missing up front or how does that work? Thanks Bob

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Lets see your Stache official thread

Stache 7 is my first 2x10 and I love it. On the trails a stay in my smallest gear up front and work almost all of the rear cassette. When I hit a long fast straight away on the road is the only time I even need by big gear up front. I have not found much difference at all compared to a 3x7 or even 3x8 except a lot less shifting up front.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Stache 7 is my first 2x10 and I love it. On the trails a stay in my smallest gear up front and work almost all of the rear cassette. When I hit a long fast straight away on the road is the only time I even need by big gear up front. I have not found much difference at all compared to a 3x7 or even 3x8 except a lot less shifting up front.
    thanks for the feedback, how do you like the burnt orange color?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I love it. It's more of a candy orange in the sun light but the burnt orange when not. I also like that it's not overkill with bold graphics or decals, unless you know what they look like most people have no idea what it is when out on the trail or on my rack. I also Paired it with a set of ODI grips w/orange lock rings and some DMR Vault orange pedals looks very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice, I have to admit I am not a fan of most of the Trek colors, too flashy for me but I guess that is the style with bikes. (I would rather have the orange than the Lime Green) Curious, did you move from a 26" to the Stache 7? If yes how would you compare the two? Thanks bob

mtbr member
    I'll admit, I was a hater. I rode a 29er years ago when they first came out and thought to myself, "This thing is a festering pile of crap! Who would ever ride these things!? 26 inch wheels forever!"

Since then, 29ers have changed, and I needed a bike to get back in the game after a few years of road biking. I went with the Stache 7, and so far I'm impressed with the bike. It steers quickly, handles roots and rocky sections of trail well, and frankly it goes faster downhill than I'm comfortable with right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What the heck here it is Stache 7, Lovin' It.

I put flats on it and dropped the seat a bit. Not sure if I should have got the 19 instead of the 17.5, but its still a blast to toss around.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Lets see your Stache official thread

So, anybody looking for a Satche 8 frame or complete, 19? I just put down money on a remedy 29...
    I really wish I didn't have to sell it. But, i can't have the Remedy without selling a bike...

I'll miss my Stache. It was a truly fun bike. The smile it put on my face as I railed trails was ear to ear.
    PM me....i'll post a classified as soon as i get my remedy
    Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread-uploadfromtaptalk1369171527042.jpg
    Figured it was time to post a picture. Warranty Stache 8 frame with Stache 7 bits. Went tubeless, shortened up the cockpit with a 60mm stem, ruffian lock ons, a WTB Silverado saddle, Easton Havoc post and swapped out the tk damper for the argyle moco unit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bigkat273; 05-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So I now have 80 miles on the Stache with a good 4-5 rides and I gotta say I'm loving it! Loving the feel of this aggressive hardtail. The tubeless with light Mavic wheels makes a big difference but the geometry on this bike is so fun. I'm running a 70mm stem dropped 2 spacers with 720 bars and it feels dialed. The only thing I don't like at times with the shorter stem is when I'm standing and cranking hard I sometimes feel too far over the front with my hands too far back. Haven't had any excessive rear tire slip though so I'm keeping it. I originally got this to be my all around fun bike while waiting for Trek's new full suspensions to come out. I'm going to wait a while and see how those develop but I don't think I will sell this when getting a full suspension like originally planned. I think this could be an awesome bike setup singlespeed too which I would love to try. Stache ftw!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not yet a Stache owner so i'll be happy to hear from you,
    The stache is obviously a pretty good descender, but how does it handles accents?
    steep climbs? but also big rocks planted technical climbs?

singletrak junkie
    I'm not an expert , but I love the solid feel of this bike while going thru rock gardens and climbs that have a sh#t load of roots and rocks. I run the stock tires tubeless, and think a different type of tire set up would only improve this bike. Love rock'n my Green #8.
    "do it in the dirt "

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I found the stock tires to be very capable, and not problematic in any particular area. Very good all-arounders for SoCal.

As for steep ascents, it's in the ballpark with most XC bikes in that the front end doesn't wander any more than average. I have no problems keeping the front planted on the steepest climbs I encounter, but as usual, I have to get forward on the saddle ;~) and get my moobs down toward the top tube.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    nvm.

mtbr member

For dry hardpack the tires are fine. Over leafs or logs I'd prefer a little more bite, but that's only because of where I'm riding. I haven't had any problems keeping the front end down as long as I stay dynamic on the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Lovin my Stache 7:
    Lets see your Stache official thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369859732.947274.jpg
    Road: 1990 Trek 1100
    Trail: 2013 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    when i first brought it home...

Lets see your Stache official thread-imag0472_zpsd5e69e95.jpg

now...

Lets see your Stache official thread-c042ca78-477d-46a6-800f-b71feed59aac-5075-0000027eb8879961_zpsb67dee74.jpg

- XT shifters
    - Saint brakes (203-180 non-saint rotors)
    - I9 / Stans
    - Reverb post (soon to be the new Fox)

- consistently having issues with the front shifting properly. (LBS is working on that)
    - ran wheels with X9 hubs for a few weeks... Sram can take a flying leap off a short peer!

i'm absolutely in love with this bike! as a big dude (6'2", 240) properly set up i am having the time of my life on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lets see your Stache official thread-2013-05-20-18.23.20.jpg

Man I am loving my Stache and the light was hitting her just right the other day, the Orange color of the 7 is amazing! I finally got to take her on a proper shakedown run and the bike shines all around. Great climbing uphill, and I was able to go up runs with rocks and roots and just motored up sections I would have likely stopped on my old Jekyll thanks to the 29" wheels. Downhill I still am fighting the 29" wheels and feel like i am pushing into tighter switchbacks but I can feel myself getting used to it...still mulling over going to a shorter stem on the 19". Boosting over little drop offs and small kickers is so much fun though.

Only problem I have is after the ride I noticed moving the bike in my house there seemed to be some play somewhere in the back end (could feel/hear jiggling) and my friggin thru axle somehow was not tightened all the way (like the lever was flipped from full tight). Can't imagine how that could happen as I haven't even had the bike a full month, I would think I would have noticed out on the trail. Any chance I could have hurt anything with the frame, etc? I tightened it down and when I move my rear wheel back and forth I can still detect a tiny bit of play and perhaps the sound I hear is the rotor hitting the pads as it seems everything flexes slightly side to side as I put sideways pressure on the tire. Is this normal? I am going to the shop tomorrow to see if I am just crazy or something could be up. Def bummed about the axle being loose though, would stink if the shop gave it to me like that, should have checked it before the ride!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Man I am loving my Stache and the light was hitting her just right the other day, the Orange color of the 7 is amazing! I finally got to take her on a proper shakedown run and the bike shines all around. Great climbing uphill, and I was able to go up runs with rocks and roots and just motored up sections I would have likely stopped on my old Jekyll thanks to the 29" wheels. Downhill I still am fighting the 29" wheels and feel like i am pushing into tighter switchbacks but I can feel myself getting used to it...still mulling over going to a shorter stem on the 19". Boosting over little drop offs and small kickers is so much fun though.
    Compared to other 29ers with steeper head angles, I find the Stache steers well with my weight over the front wheel a bit more than with other bikes. You might try moving the stem lower by putting one or two of the spacers on top of the stem instead of underneath.

mtbr member
    Only problem I have is after the ride I noticed moving the bike in my house there seemed to be some play somewhere in the back end (could feel/hear jiggling) and my friggin thru axle somehow was not tightened all the way (like the lever was flipped from full tight).
    This happened to me too on the second or third ride. The install wasn't tight enough at factory or LBS, not sure which. I noticed it after my shifting and rear braking suddenly went south, simultaneously. I cranked it on and have not had a problem since.
    Your bike is most likely fine. Mine is.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    May 2013

my friggin thru axle somehow was not tightened all the way (like the lever was flipped from full tight).
    My 2nd or 3rd ride I looked down and saw my front axle this way. The handle was turned forward and the axle was loose a couple of turns. Something to double-check pre-ride with these thru-axles I guess. Haven't had any reoccurrence.
    Road: 1990 Trek 1100
    Trail: 2013 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    per a request for more I9 pictures...

Lets see your Stache official thread-4792a524-250c-402d-91ef-fc5581afeadb-245-00000009cfc016b9_zpsc1c85015.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-8b345cdd-e7fe-4af3-928a-613c861e14c4-245-00000009ca01566c_zps6f7f8e4b.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-fdb8d6bd-87d4-4b96-8494-f0bfeb2ed323-245-00000009b2d94a00_zps9344974f.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-8df2a7d5-059b-46c6-84de-1311566d1e85-245-00000009c44946ce_zpsa482c33d.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-bf80fb26-0157-4bd9-8509-e5221cbb51c4-245-00000009b8d253fb_zpsb4564cb1.jpg

swapped to a 203 rear this week too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    love my Stache 8 but I am selling mine with only 25 miles on it, miss my full suspension.

let me know if you are interested P.M me

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ArmedSuspect, that is one sick-a$$ green machine!! I must say the 7 and 8 are both really hot bikes in their own right, I was really lusting after the green but the 7 looks so good in person it made not getting all the good bits and saving some dough an easy choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ArmedSuspect, that is one sick-a$$ green machine!! I must say the 7 and 8 are both really hot bikes in their own right, I was really lusting after the green but the 7 looks so good in person it made not getting all the good bits and saving some dough an easy choice.
    thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had the same problem for a while with mine, the bontrager thru axle skewer just isn't that great. I fixed it by increasing the closing tension a bit and spraying some tri flow on the pivots and cam and it has worked great since. If you still have problems I'm sure your lbs will find them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfowler6 View Post
    I had the same problem for a while with mine, the bontrager thru axle skewer just isn't that great. I fixed it by increasing the closing tension a bit and spraying some tri flow on the pivots and cam and it has worked great since. If you still have problems I'm sure your lbs will find them
    Same here, my dropouts were not aligned very well so it took extra tension to get everything tight and keep it from creeking. Over time the dropouts have formed into the correct alignment but I do find myself having to rotate the skewer a little more each time I assemble the bike to keep things from moving. All in all, a great bike. Have about 1400 miles on mine since November and have enjoyed every one. My bottom bracket does have an annoying tick that I can seem to get rid of by lubing and torquing the crank. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I had to re torque my front chain ring bolts after a few rides due to a creaking noise. Not sure if that will help or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    anyone recommend a better skewer for the rear thru axle? I also am confused, is a Maxle different/better? I have heard it "expands" to really bind things together, not sure if that is overkill, or if you need a specific frame.

Also, does our stock thru axle "key into" anything or just slides through frame and hub and when you clamp it, puts side load onto the frame and pinches everything together.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedSuspect View Post
    swapped to a 203 rear this week too!
    Me too. No more howling banshees on long downhills :~)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Me too. No more howling banshees on long downhills :~)
    with dual 203's and Saint calipers i can officially stop any time i want, on any section of trail i want!!! oh, and it's rather quiet!!!

at 6'2", 240lbs the brakes get a good workout when i'm running downhill. i really wanted Saint rotors... problem is they only come in center lock

-Additional 50°C decrease in operating temp over previous Ice Technology rotor
    -Braking and performance benefits include 20% less brake fade, 20% increase in stopping power and 20% longer pad life
    -Available for center lock hubs
    -3-layer clad rotor – steel / aluminum / steel

mtbr member

I was thinking about trying to slackening my stache a touch more by installing a external bottom headset cup. Anyone else tried this yet? I know it would only be about a 1/2 degree difference but I figure it's cheap so why not try.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I was thinking about trying to slackening my stache a touch more by installing a external bottom headset cup. Anyone else tried this yet? I know it would only be about a 1/2 degree difference but I figure it's cheap so why not try.
    You'll also be raising the bottom bracket a hair doing it this way vs the angleset way which lowers the BB a smidge.

Since you'll be pivoting the bike around the rear axle, you'll need to slide your saddle forward a little bit to maintain your pedalling fit. Which will then lead to requiring a longer stem to maintain your current reach/front end fit.

Play around with the calculator below to see how adding A-C (by adding the external HS cup) compares to using an angleset.
    geometryCalc

I hate that name.
    As far as I know, there isn't an external lower headset cup made to fit the 56id.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member

Seeing that now... Just the case creek Angleset it looks like.

mtbr member
    did 30 miles on it Saturday, but just finished up shortening the brake lines and fine tuning everything last night. What a fun bike. I am already in love with it....

Pictures here - Stache 8 - 21" - Imgur

21" frame
    RS Revelation E2G2 fork
    Rhythm Elite wheels
    SLX F/R+ Mech
    Avid XO Trail Brakes
    Deore Crank and Shifters
    CB Mallet 2 pedals
    Bonty post/stem/bars

I plan on adding a 36T and bash soon, as well as a layback Thompson post when the funds allow.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Curious, the handle bars on the Stache seem real wide. Are they the same as other Trek 29ers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    They are fairly wide at 720mm with 9 degree backsweep. It is the widest bar I had used and my hands were getting all kinds of numb on rides over an hour. I swapped my bars for 685mm with 8 degree backsweep and am much happier now. To each their own though

mtbr member

Attachment 810024

Attachment 810025

Attachment 810026

Went out on a 20 miler today, set quite a few Strava PR's on the up hills, this thing flies!

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371911812.202388.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Very curious when the 14 models going to come out????? should be anytime now
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Picked up a Stache 7 on sale last week. First mountain bike since I was a kid in the 90's.
    Super fun.
    Regarding sizing, for what it's worth, I'm 6'2" with a 33.5" inseam and I went with the 19 and I can't imagine being on a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm about to finish a trip offshore and looking to go from 2010 EX8 to a hard tail I've been looking at Highball, Bigtop .....really liked the new Kona Explosive, but I keep coming back to a Stache 8, trouble is no 19s available in UK.....so I too am waiting for a 2014 edition.
    Any news available

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
    I'm about to finish a trip offshore and looking to go from 2010 EX8 to a hard tail I've been looking at Highball, Bigtop .....really liked the new Kona Explosive, but I keep coming back to a Stache 8, trouble is no 19s available in UK.....so I too am waiting for a 2014 edition.
    Any news available
    I was told by my local dealer that they should know more in 3-4 weeks. I've still got the Stache 8 demo bike here and I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How does the slacker angle on the Stache, compared to Xcal change the bikes handling? Thanks

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    How does the slacker angle on the Stache, compared to Xcal change the bikes handling? Thanks
    The stache is more suited to all around trail riding... More stable on descents and just a more stable feel overall. However the 120mm fork is not optimal if you are really into climbing. Don't get me wrong it still climbs like a goat but you have to work to keep the front end down and on line.

Super Clyde

I haven't read the whole thread, but how much more effort is required to stay over the front wheel? I have a bike with a fairly steep HT angle, and I demoed a Niner Air 9 RDO which is about the same as what I have. I prefer to push my self back and mash, as opposed to scooting forward in the saddle. Is that effective on the Stache as well?

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I spent a fair amount of time on the alloy Air 9 last summer. Even though the Air 9 and the Stache are two different take on geometry, they are two of my favorite hardtails (or 'bikes' period for that matter). As for keeping the front end down on steep climbs, that was never an issue on either bike (I have time on both the 21" and 23" Stache and the XL Air 9), with stem lengths in the 85mm to 100mm range.

On the 23" Stache I currently own, unlike on some bikes, I don't really have to put nose-to-taint to keep the front end planted, and usually just scoot up a little bit on steep climbs and then will lean forward or back as needed.

mtbr member

I spent a fair amount of time on the alloy Air 9 last summer. Even though the Air 9 and the Stache are two different take on geometry, they are two of my favorite hardtails (or 'bikes' period for that matter). As for keeping the front end down on steep climbs, that was never an issue on either bike (I have time on both the 21" and 23" Stache and the XL Air 9), with stem lengths in the 85mm to 100mm range.

On the 23" Stache I currently own, unlike on some bikes, I don't really have to put nose-to-taint to keep the front end planted, and usually just scoot up a little bit on steep climbs and then will lean forward or back as needed.
    I guess I should quantify my response by adding that I run a 60mm stem which adds to the front wheel wander.

Super Clyde

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Very nicely done vid on the Stache 7. I bet this took some time to put together.

Watch on YouTube

mtbr member
    Very nicely done vid on the Stache 7. I bet this took some time to put together.

Watch on YouTube
    First time I've ever heard brakes described as 'plush'. Sounds like he needs a bleed at least. Not the most accurate descriptions of parts but you can tell the enthusiasm he has in his bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

The lastest upgrades.

Easton EA 50 riser bar. ODI grips. DMR Vault pedals. WTB saddle. Conti MK II 2.4 front and rear. SLX Ice tech brakes with XT Ice Tech rotors 203mm front /180mm rear. Gravity Dropper Turbo LP (1in and 4in drop). 3M body film (top tube, down tube and around cable areas)
    Lets see your Stache official thread-bike4.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike3.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike1.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nice bike!

btw guys these look like the 2014 staches!!

The blue color looks SICK!!!

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/conte...es-sneak-peek/

Lets see your Stache official thread-2014-trek-stache-7-8.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    nice bike!

The blue color looks SICK!!!
    I like the new dark grey and the orange from last year. But the Blue is better than lime green.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It looks like the 2014 Staches are coming with 36/22 front cranks <not sure of correct terminology> while the 2013 has 38/24. When I test rode a 2013 I was looking for a lower granny gear. Will the 36/22 give you that? If yes, would it be easy for lbs to swap in a 36/22 on 2013 Stache?

mtbr member
    It looks like the 2014 Staches are coming with 36/22 front cranks <not sure of correct terminology> while the 2013 has 38/24. When I test rode a 2013 I was looking for a lower granny gear. Will the 36/22 give you that? If yes, would it be easy for lbs to swap in a 36/22 on 2013 Stache?
    Yes it will give lower gearing and you can buy the raceface turbine rings to be able to have a similar setup yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hord1080: is the Blue 2014 Stache the 7 or the 8 model?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    I'm guessing the blue. The black has the red turbine crankset.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    From another member but all the new 2014 are here, The blue is the 7. Look here

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I can't wait for these to become available. I see the 2014 Stache 8 is now coming with XR3 Expert tires instead of the tubeless ready Team Issue tires on the 2013, which is a little bit of a bummer.

And unfortunately, it looks like the front mech is now an SRAM X7 instead of Shimano SLX.

Other than that, I can't wait to get my hands on a new Stache. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for bike stores to be able to get them once they are announced?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you are going off of those sites with the spy pics, those specs may not be what we get as those are UK sites (it seems they get the stuff first for some reason). Unless you live in the UK, then carry on!

I honestly would grab a 2013 Stache at a discount over the 2014 since there really arent any major changes, unless you really prefer the new colors.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 2013 Stache 8 came with the SLX "FD-M676 D" front derailleur. According to Shimano's specs, this derailleur is made for a 2x10 application, and designed to have the largest ring be anywhere from a 38t to a 44t, AND the largest tooth count difference it is designed to handle is 14t. In other words, it was not designed for anything smaller than 24/38. Whether or not it actually would work is unknown to me.

IMHO, it would be awesome to have 22/38, as I found myself wishing for slightly lower gearing on some long, steep climbs, and wanting just a little more top end when flat out sprinting. JMHO.

My current Stache 8 is set up with a 3x9 drivetrain, and I'm pretty much good to go at either end. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by unsavory View Post
    I can't wait for these to become available. I see the 2014 Stache 8 is now coming with XR3 Expert tires instead of the tubeless ready Team Issue tires on the 2013, which is a little bit of a bummer.
    IIRC, the "XR" tires are 26" and on the 29er version, they replace those letters with "29". Also, the 2013 Stache 8 we tested at twentynineinches.com came with the Expert version of the 29-3, and it is listed on the Trek website as coming with the Experts as well. After a bit, Trek sent us a tubeless kit, and a set of the Team 29-3 tires (tubeless ready) to test as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    IIRC, the "XR" tires are 26" and on the 29er version, they replace those letters with "29". Also, the 2013 Stache 8 we tested at twentynineinches.com came with the Expert version of the 29-3, and it is listed on the Trek website as coming with the Experts as well. After a bit, Trek sent us a tubeless kit, and a set of the Team 29-3 tires (tubeless ready) to test as well.
    Thanks for pointing that out. The photo on Trek's site shows the Team tubeless ready tires, which mislead me. But I see now in the specs that it comes with the Experts. I hear people are running the experts tubeless without issues. So maybe it doesn't really matter all that much.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I honestly would grab a 2013 Stache at a discount over the 2014 since there really arent any major changes, unless you really prefer the new colors.
    I would love to if I could find one. But none of the Trek dealers in my area actually stock the Stache 8, and they can't order them anymore due to the upcoming model change. Trek is not making them anymore and they don't have stock.

mtbr member

I'm very satisfied with my Expert 29.3 running tubeless. I have ran them down to 10psi w/o burping and they have held up very well to all the rocks including sidewall scrapes.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by unsavory View Post
    I would love to if I could find one. But none of the Trek dealers in my area actually stock the Stache 8, and they can't order them anymore due to the upcoming model change. Trek is not making them anymore and they don't have stock.
    As of last week (the last time I went there), a shop about 10 miles from me has a 19" Stache 8 that has been sitting there a while. . . . .

I'm in SoCal.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Stache 8 and the Fuel EX7 29er are similar in price. Comparing these two bikes, what makes the Stache 8 as expensive as the EX7 considering it does not have the rear shock? Are the other component better all around on the Stache 8? Considering the price is about the same, why would someone consider a Stache 8 over the EX7?

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member

Did anyone get the threaded cable guides that go under the top tube? I didn't get any with mine but want to install my regular reverb. I'll call the shop to get some but I was just curious what they look like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Stache 8 and the Fuel EX7 29er are similar in price. Comparing these two bikes, what makes the Stache 8 as expensive as the EX7 considering it does not have the rear shock? Are the other component better all around on the Stache 8? Considering the price is about the same, why would someone consider a Stache 8 over the EX7?
    Are you talking EX7 26er? That would be a difference. Other than that some like a HT over a FS. Components (SLX brakes, Race face crank). The race face crank is around $300 alone.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
    Yes, it does. I can't wait to get my hands on one. Really loving the color of the 8 for 2014.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Paid Spam: Moving back to a 650/26" wheeled bike. I just can't get home on a 29'r and I spent a ton of money setting mine up. In excellent condition.

2013 Trek Stache 8 - medium (17.5") - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    May 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Finally getting around to posting up some pictures of my Stache 7 23"! First 29er and I'm loving it. Only modifications so far are my old m520s as I decide which pedals to upgrade to as well as some Ergon GS1 Grips. Looking to upgrade to some pedals with some bigger platforms such as Crankbrother's Mallet 2's but keep reading mixed reviews. Also considering making the switch to a 1x10 in the future; anybody gone that route yet? Lastly as much as I'd love to go tubeless with my stock tires I'm worried about using the kit on the "non-tubeless" tires being 6'6" 230, any insight on this?

First Ride:

Out on the Trail:

Loving the Ergons!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My LBS confirmed three versions of the Stache for the US as pictured above. Trek is showing an Oct delivery date.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus30 View Post
    Lastly as much as I'd love to go tubeless with my stock tires I'm worried about using the kit on the "non-tubeless" tires being 6'6" 230, any insight on this?
    Check out Post #386 above.

mtbr member
    My LBS confirmed three versions of the Stache for the US as pictured above. Trek is showing an Oct delivery date.
    My LBS said end of next month as well, so October hopefully. That new Black and Orange Stache 8 looks amazing! I'm working on selling my 2011 EX8 right now to try and get one. Probably gonna be weird going from FS back to HT, but I really want a Stache.

Super Clyde

Any news on what changes are coming down the pike for the 2014 Stache 8 besides color?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Any news on what changes are coming down the pike for the 2014 Stache 8 besides color?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    Look at BubbleBlower's link above. Crank set for one, 36/22 for this year.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 578