Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam View Post
    Replaced with the same tire just the Tubeless version.
    I also replaced the stem with a 70mm one.

Hey sam, what kind of difference did you feel/get changing to a shorter stem on the stache?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Hey sam, what kind of difference did you feel/get changing to a shorter stem on the stache?
    Never rode it with the 90mm one,but it felt odd.Was too stretched out for my liking,also I have a Nicolai AC 650b Pinion and this has a very similar top tube length and i was tring to keep the riding positions similar,Nicolai has a 615TT and a 75mm stem, Stache is running 620mm TT and a 70mm stem.

Did 16 miles on it earlier,seems to ride very well,nice and lively,Front end lifts easily,Forks are now set and seem to work very well.Did some quite Technical and rocky terrain and it seems to handle it well.The Clutch SLX rear mech is amazing,no dropped chains and stealthely quite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is 90mm stock stem for all frame sizes?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Is 90mm stock stem for all frame sizes?
    Looking on Trek Tech(i work in a bike shop) seems that the stem lenghts vary with size of frame ordered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thats what I always thought with stem lengths.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    90mm came on my 19 frame

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 21" comes with a 100mm stem.

========

For those that have installed a Reverb Stealth on your Stache (I have seen a couple in pics on this thread), are there any tips you can offer to someone that will be doing that soon?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If any of you guys with a 19" frame want to swap the 100mm that your bike came with for a 90mm that came on my 17.5, let me know. Mine is 2 weeks old and I just can't find the sweet spot yet with the 90mm stem. I think 100 would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    If any of you guys with a 19" frame want to swap the 100mm that your bike came with for a 90mm that came on my 17.5, let me know. Mine is 2 weeks old and I just can't find the sweet spot yet with the 90mm stem. I think 100 would be perfect.
    19" come with 90mm.
    I swapped out the 90mm on mine for a 70mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I'll trade you straight across, I just took the stock stem off my 21".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My pedals have been delivered sitting outside

Too bad Im stuck at the office working late

Cant wait to see them in person and install them

singletrak junkie
    just ordered mine today for 2295 , trading in my mamba for an aditional 420.00 off . Putting on my richie pro stem and bars from my mamba to make the #8 feel familiar...
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    youll love it, took mine on a slightly muddy basic trail ride yesterday and it performed awesome, the recon forks were great and the bike went through everything. Pavement and dirt.

Look into going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Tubeless is very easy.You need to order the trek/bontrager rim strips and valves.TLR tyres and and some sealent,mine went on with a track pump very easily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Tubeless is very easy.You need to order the trek/bontrager rim strips and valves.TLR tyres and and some sealent,mine went on with a track pump very easily.
    The Tires on the stache are tubeless ready, I did not have to buy new tires.. Or maybe im missunderstanding

I just ordered the rim strips/sealant/valves

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Tyres on my Stache 7 were standard tyres not TLR or Team ones

They were XR3 29x2.3

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The stache 7 and 8 both come stock w/ 29-3 tires...not xr-3s. You can set up the 29-3s tubeless no problem. Like previous poster said...just rim strips/valve cores/ sealant and you're golden!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by setransou View Post
    The stache 7 and 8 both come stock w/ 29-3 tires...not xr-3s. You can set up the 29-3s tubeless no problem. Like previous poster said...just rim strips/valve cores/ sealant and you're golden!
    29-3's that are not TLR they are the basic cheap ones not the expensive Team versions that are tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    art No. MSRP* Bead FT/RR/PR Sidewall/Tread Size TPI Type Weight
    428465 74.99 Aramid Dual Black / Black 29 x 2.30 (TLR) 120 Clincher 705g

428466 54.99 Aramid Dual Black / Black 29 x 2.30 60 Clincher 675g

428467 44.99 Wire Dual Black / Black 29 x 2.30 60 Clincher 765g

Only the top one is TLR

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    29-3's that are not TLR they are the basic cheap ones not the expensive Team versions that are tubeless ready.
    you don't have to have the TLR team's to go tubeless...I've been on my stock 29-3s for 3 weeks now shreddin the gnar with zero issues homie. Im a mechanic and I work at a Trek shop...I've set up plenty of non-tlr tires without incident.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am also a mechanic at a trek dealer.

Not worth the risk in my book.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well im giving it a go on the 29-3s that came on it. LBS said everything will be awesome so, Just waiting for the parts to arrive,

In the meantime

So Much more room/pedal than the cheap-o's i had installed, Just got done configuring the PINS, will install tomorrow.

Anyone else riding platforms on their stache?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Anyone else riding platforms on their stache?
    I went with some Wellgo B103's and a pair of Five Ten's from Pricepoint. I love the look of those Spank's but couldn't justify it... maybe someday. I've loved them! After 15 years of clipless it was pretty rough for 6-8 rides but now I'm really enjoying the freedom. I honestly don't feel like I'm loosing any efficiency with them but I do feel a little more free to push the corners a little harder and do "stupid" stuff like learning how to manual...

I also went tubeless with my 29-3 "Expert" (non-team issue) tires with no problems... I've been running them down at 16psi in the snow with no problems and 22psi all around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I figured just to get a great pair of pedals right off the rip. The LBS recommended clipless, but every bike i have ever owned has had platforms, so i stayed with the tried and true that i know. Plus being able to take my foot off without having to think, gives me a piece of mind. Dont want to be held back to one type of shoe ya know? I dont do serious riding just ride for fun and pleasure and to get muddy every now and then, so a good pair of platforms was worth it to me. Ive never had this high end of a bike before.

Glad to know others are running tubeless on the non team issues,makes me even happier on the decision

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Its the same tire tread/design. It used to be known as XR3 = 26" and 29-3 = 29". New tread design also this past year. Bontrager has consolidated their tire names. It used to be split up 26" and 29" on their website.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What do you guys think an optimal 1x10 setup would be for building a stache frame up without getting into xx1 price range?

mtbr member
    I'd probably get something like the SRAM X7 Crankset (or the X9 or X0 crankset), remove the spider and buy whatever size MRP Bling Ring you are wanting to try out. I would love to do this myself but don't know that I need a 28T chainring bad enough to replace the awesome green crankset...

You can save $20 by going with a Homebrewed Components chainring but if you want to be riding before summer is over I'd probably go with the MRP.

Then for the cassette the stock Shimano HG62 11-36 seems like a winner to me. You might be able to shed a couple grams with a different one though...
    Last edited by Ufdah; 03-20-2013 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    I'd probably get something like the SRAM X7 Crankset (or the X9 or X0 crankset), remove the spider and buy whatever size MRP Bling Ring you are wanting to try out. I would love to do this myself but don't know that I need a 28T chainring bad enough to replace the awesome green crankset...

You can save $20 by going with a Homebrewed Components chainring but if you want to be riding before summer is over I'd probably go with the MRP.

Then for the cassette the stock Shimano HG62 11-36 seems like a winner to me. You might be able to shed a couple grams with a different one though...
    Awesome info thanks. Id be running a 32t ring in front with 11x36 in the rear. Do you think getting a double crankset and running it spiderless or with bash guard is better than using a single speed crankset like xx1 crank? Is there any chainline issues with converting a 2x10 crank to 1x10?

mtbr member
    If you're just running a 32T up front then you really could go with any crankset, double or triple and a standard 104BCD 32T chainring. With a triple spider you could get two bash rings from BBG and sandwich or "bashwich" your middle chainring to give protection and as a form of chain retention. The XX1 does seem to be a great product but short of that your other options are more a matter of preference or flexibility. I suggested spiderless just to give 28T & 30T chainring options.

I'd also look at the Shimano Zee Short Cage Derailleur in the 11-36 model. This won't work if you want to go 2x10 but it will keep your chain as tight as possible with 1x10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    was thinking the same,might just try a 32 or 34 and see what its like

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    If you're just running a 32T up front then you really could go with any crankset, double or triple and a standard 104BCD 32T chainring. With a triple spider you could get two bash rings from BBG and sandwich or "bashwich" your middle chainring to give protection and as a form of chain retention. The XX1 does seem to be a great product but short of that your other options are more a matter of preference or flexibility. I suggested spiderless just to give 28T & 30T chainring options.

I'd also look at the Shimano Zee Short Cage Derailleur in the 11-36 model. This won't work if you want to go 2x10 but it will keep your chain as tight as possible with 1x10.
    The inner BBG plate (at least the one I have) doesn't work on the Stache.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    The inner BBG plate (at least the one I have) doesn't work on the Stache.
    Good to know! I noticed that the chainstay widens out quickly there. Thanks for the info!

I hate that name.
    It actually wasn't even the chainstay that was the main issue. The bb shell is too fat, as in girth. If I ever get around to it I'm going to try filing some material from the inside edge of the plate to see if it will mount. For now I'm just running 2x10 (full XT) on my Stache.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Lets see your Stache official thread

I have had my stache 8 for about a month now. To date, I've put on a carbon xxx post to soften the feel of the super stiff frame, a carbon RXL handlebar that is slightly shorter at 690mm wide, changed the saddle to my all-time favorite - a WTB Silverado, and put my bontrager computer on. I also put on my favorite Ergon grips and set the tires up tubeless with the TLR rim strips and Stan's. although not TLR tires, the 29-3 Expert has become an all around favorite tire. It sticks in all conditions and sets up tubeless super easy.

The final upgrade is on the truck from brown Santa. A custom built King wheelset with their Green hubs, Arch EX rims, black brass nips and black supercomp spokes. Won't be the lightest wheelset, but I should save a few grams and the "awesome" factor will be there for sure!

Overall, I'm really enjoying the geometry of the bike, it's playful, quick, climbs well, descends great and sure footed and just doesn't feel like my superfly carbon hardtail that I broke last year in a crash. Sure the chainstays could be slightly shorter, but, ill agree with others and say that the package works really well together.

As it sits ready to ride, it is 26.3lbs with two cages and eggbeater pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    We will need pics!
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Its pretty amazing how much a shorter stem changed my bike this morning, So much more control of the front end, dont feel stretched out, infact I feel absolutely perfect on my stache now. It was so hard to control and pedal while standing up on the standard 90mm stem that came on my bike, now with the 65mm i can actually stand up and pedal with complete control. It feels rock freaking solid. The longness of turns feels pretty much gone, and everything is snappier on the front end. Love it Love it Love It a thousand times more.

New pedals gave my feet much more room to maneuver position on the pedal as well. they feel great on the foot, and my feet feel like they are glued on to the bike.

It is like a whole new bike now

singletrak junkie
    Last edited by spk1264; 03-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Those are some ...hmmm interesting color choices! But hey its not how it looks...its how it rides right!?

singletrak junkie

mine

Lets see your Stache official thread-dsc05112.jpg
    "do it in the dirt "

singletrak junkie
    put some quality time on it this weekend and love the bike, shortened the bars to 680mm..forks feel great over rooted out sections and was surprised that this turns tighter than i thought.
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How do you like your stache, I may pick one up Friday im test riding a EVO and a stache. tell me what you enjoy most about the trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am a 200lbs 6'0" aggressive rider in the piedmont area of nc. My trails are a mix of rolling singletrack w/ a few tech features spinkled about. I venture into western nc and va from time to time. For how and what I ride, the bike is pretty fun. I've got a wider bar (rf atlas), shorter (50mm) stem, tubeless setup and a reverb seatpost.

…ros: the drivetrain (crank arms are bomber, rear der. is xt shadow plus), the frame is stout and at stock puts the rider in a neutral position (I like to descend so I put on 50mm stem to skew more to the rear), the thru axles give confident handling in off camber, rutted, or roudy terrain, and finally the brakes (shimano's slx brakes are amazingly effective with enough stopping power and great modulation plus you get tool free reach adjust.

Cons: takes some effort to get the front wheel up on wheelie drops, manuals etc..., to really get the most out of the bike a reverb is almost a given if you like to get aggressive on descents ($$$).

Its a good all rounder that can be a quiver killer with the right setup. I use mine for commuting, trail riding, pub crawls, pretty much everything but pisgah national forest and lift access of course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice sounds like you enjoy it a lot thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How would you guys compare the green Raceface Turbine cranks that come on the stache 8 to the new xt double crankset? Like the green matching the bike but am trying to decide between the two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am a 200lbs 6'0" aggressive rider in the piedmont area of nc. My trails are a mix of rolling singletrack w/ a few tech features spinkled about. I venture into western nc and va from time to time. For how and what I ride, the bike is pretty fun. I've got a wider bar (rf atlas), shorter (50mm) stem, tubeless setup and a reverb seatpost.

…ros: the drivetrain (crank arms are bomber, rear der. is xt shadow plus), the frame is stout and at stock puts the rider in a neutral position (I like to descend so I put on 50mm stem to skew more to the rear), the thru axles give confident handling in off camber, rutted, or roudy terrain, and finally the brakes (shimano's slx brakes are amazingly effective with enough stopping power and great modulation plus you get tool free reach adjust.

Cons: takes some effort to get the front wheel up on wheelie drops, manuals etc..., to really get the most out of the bike a reverb is almost a given if you like to get aggressive on descents ($$$).

Its a good all rounder that can be a quiver killer with the right setup. I use mine for commuting, trail riding, pub crawls, pretty much everything but pisgah national forest and lift access of course.
    Why not Pisgah? What is it like there? I have been thinking of taking a trip there. Only about 4 hr drive for me
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DavezFever View Post
    How would you guys compare the green Raceface Turbine cranks that come on the stache 8 to the new xt double crankset? Like the green matching the bike but am trying to decide between the two.
    I did an extended trail demo of the stache 8 and rumblefish pro (3 ring XT) I thought the Race face had a better feel than the XT. The BB felt smoother although I am not sure if it is a different BB. The RF crank felt light and stiff. XT was on par but the RF edged it out IMO.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Turbines are actually pretty stiff relative to the XT. I have some XT's though on my Intense SS (freeride/parkbike) and it withstood multiple lift access days so they are both durable, solid cranks. I think the crankarms from RF have a lifetime guarantee against breakage (not chainring wear or bent rings mind you). Time will tell on the chainring durability...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had the orange pedals on order before I got the bike. I thought i was getting the orange stache, butthe LBS had an 8 frame with 7 parts, and i really liked the look of the 8 frame after seeing it up close. So i walked out with that one. Bottle cage same thing had it before the swap.

Decided on the orange stem to match my pedals. I love the way it looks and love the bike. Its dfiferent from everyone elses thats fo sure

Im a bigger rider 250pds and the bike is a dream. I dont find any issues getting the front wheel up at all. Its a fast bike. It may not have th better components of the 8, but for where I live and what i ride on. It has everything i need and more. its really the perfect bike for me. The frame is stout and beastly. Brakes work awesome. Shifting is excelent. Just the over all fun on the bike is great. If i had to choose again. Id buy the same bike no questions asked. It really is the perfect bike for me what I wanted from a MTB.

If youre on the fringe, go ride one. Ill enjoy mine for many years thats for sure, and thats what its about right? Find a bike you like, make it yours, not worrying about what someone else is riring ane just have fun.

singletrak junkie
    [QUOTE=jangles;10273152] I love the way it looks and love the bike. Its dfiferent from everyone elses thats fo sure

Im a bigger rider 250pds and the bike is a dream. Just the over all fun on the bike is great. If i had to choose again. Id buy the same bike no questions asked. It really is the perfect bike for me what I wanted from a MTB. "

Way to Go Jangles !! That's what its all about, making her yours and loving it
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a 21 Stache 7 on order at my LBS. Cant wait to ride it. If it feels good its coming home with me on Friday. I'm 6'4 300lbs and Have tested a few different bikes in the last two weeks, just have not found the right one yet I am hoping that this is the bike for me.

PS. any one have any good\great platform pedal suggestions for under $50

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast