Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just ordered all my parts up for the Stache frame I have.

XX1 grouppo
    Bontrager RXL Wheels
    Rockshox reverb Stealth Dropper
    Fox 32 CTD 120mm
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25
    Bontrager RXL 720mm handlebar
    Bontrager Rhythym Pro stem

So excited for this build. I'll post pics when it's done.

mtbr member
    I think you're going to be pretty happy with that build welbeast! I'm digging mine!

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Broke my Stache...

After about 100 miles my Fox CTD fork damper failed. The first 100 miles when in Climb mode the fork nearly locked out but would sag some from hard hits due to the blow-off valve (what I understand to be normal operation). Two weeks ago that changed and Climb mode felt pretty much like Trail, I had full suspension travel while in Climb. Looking around I found this thread, 2013 Fox F29 120mm CTD Evolution Series CTD damper issue which helped me to realize that I wasn't imagining things. I used Fox's service request form on their site and in four business days had my fork back in my hands with a replaced damper, completely free of cost! (That's what I call service!) I quickly tested out the fork before putting it on the bike and unfortunately Climb mode didn't work on that damper either... I then wrote Ed at Fox again and he offered to replace the damper again but this time with a Performance FIT cartridge to give me peace of mind and is sending the new removed damper as a spare! I should have the fork back in my hands by Monday.

I share this for two reasons. One, it seems that these forks, especially the early models, are prone to damper failure so keep your eye out for it. Second, Fox has amazing customer support and I have been very pleased with the support they have given me and I wanted to share my experience with them.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Lets see your Stache official thread

I like fox....but their build qualities have been in the tanks lately. Source, shop rat.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So what do we think guys, could the Stache 8 hold a BMF Clydesdale (6'5" 350#)? I've given up on the Fuel EX 8/Remedy 8 for now, since I'm told a HT is the way to go til I shed some weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    According to Trek no. Weight limit is 300lbs, same with the remedy and fuel.

If you have the money you could try. You'll probably need a beefier set of wheels though at the very least. Kona used to make a bike called the Clydesdale that was designed for heavier riders. Not sure if they still do or if there is a weight limit.

As far as a 29er hard tail goes I would take a look at Misfit Pscycles(spelling?). They make some steel frames that use really beefy tubing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Lets see your Stache official thread

Quote Originally Posted by welbeast View Post
    According to Trek no. Weight limit is 300lbs, same with the remedy and fuel.

If you have the money you could try. You'll probably need a beefier set of wheels though at the very least. Kona used to make a bike called the Clydesdale that was designed for heavier riders. Not sure if they still do or if there is a weight limit.

As far as a 29er hard tail goes I would take a look at Misfit Pscycles(spelling?). They make some steel frames that use really beefy tubing.
    Damn alright, that just leaves the SC Chameleon and the Stumpy Evo 29... Leaning more towards the SC on this one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Are the head tube lengths coming in at the claimed 118mm on 21 and 23in sizes?

mtbr member
    I just measured my 21" and it's pretty close, 118.8mm. I think the actual head tube is pretty much right at 118mm but the clear coat add a skosh...

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

Hey guys... n00b here.

I've been eyeing a Stache 7 at my LBS. Seems like everyone is pretty happy with theirs in this thread. While I know the components aren't top notch on the 7, they should be enough to get me started on some single track, right?

This particular build comes with a Recon Silver fork, 2x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain, Elixir 1 brakes, and Bontrager wheels and tires (like most Treks do). I really like the idea of a 2x10 for the terrain I'll be riding (unless someone can convince me of going 1x9 or 10. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    Hey guys... n00b here.

I've been eyeing a Stache 7 at my LBS. Seems like everyone is pretty happy with theirs in this thread. While I know the components aren't top notch on the 7, they should be enough to get me started on some single track, right?

This particular build comes with a Recon Silver fork, 2x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain, Elixir 1 brakes, and Bontrager wheels and tires (like most Treks do). I really like the idea of a 2x10 for the terrain I'll be riding (unless someone can convince me of going 1x9 or 10. Thoughts?
    The SLX gear has been good to me on my EX8. The build overall is plenty good to get you on the trail and then some. The only weak thing I notice is the brakes. They still will be just fine as you build skill. But save up for some SLX or XT brakes down the road.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member

That's what I have heard in general about the Elixir 1's. I can't imagine it being a huge deal to replace them down the road. I was most concerned with the fork (is the silver no-good compared to the gold) and the Bontager stuff.

Thanks for your help and input!

mtbr member
    The only real differences that matter to me are the fork, brakes and crank. The crank is probably not going to be perceivable except to the most experienced riders, the brakes are quite a bit different. SLX are great brakes, Elixers are said to be OK if set up well but not quite the 1-finger ease of the SLX and it's been said that they require more maintenance. The last is the forks and this is the biggest difference. The Recon weighs about 1lb more that the Fox and only has lock-out rather than three settings of compression dampening (CTD). If you're not a weight weenie and are just looking for a SOLID bike to get started on the 7 is going to be great! If you decide to upgrade the fork and brakes down the road you'll be well over the $660 difference in price (The fork alone is that much). I'm guessing there's maybe 1.5lb difference in the two bikes.

That's a lot of words just to say that you'll be VERY happy with the 7. I'd only get the 8 if you are planning to upgrade the fork in the future or are very concerned with weight.

mtbr member

Thanks for providing the details. That helps a lot. I don't think I have enough of a knowledge base to know what I will upgrade yet. I just want something solid to start with. Since the 7 is the 'lower budget' version of the 8, I question the quality (kinda like a base model car vs. fully loaded).

I like certain things (the 2x10, Shimano drivetrain) on the Stache a lot as well as the Trek name and rep that comes along with it. I'm also considering looking at a Kona Taro but the 1x9 gearing scares me a bit for climbing. Also considered a Specialized Carve Comp 29... same price point as the Stache 7, I think.

Either way, thank you. Any other input you have on the bikes listed above (without going crazy off topic) would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should be able to just buy calipers and levers if you upgrade brakes. Should be no need for rotors. Very easy upgrade. Probably cost you just over $200. The bontrager stuff will do you well. No issues with wheels and so on. The elixer 1 will be fine for awhile but you will want better later. You could have the dealer trade you up to SLX before you leave the shop. Maybe offer the shop retail on the bike but ask fo rSLX brakes (shop keeps the stock brakes) and swap you over to tubless.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think the fork on the 7 will be fine for atleast a few years.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Ordered a Stache 7 19.5" last week and it arrived at the lbs on Friday. Looks great, unfortunately it came from the factory with a tweaked rear triangle/dropouts. When inserting the rear axle it missed the drive side dropout by almost 3/8"!! So off to warranty with it. Kinda bummed but at least there is a foot of snow on the ground so not a big rush.

Just to chime in on the fork discussion...I went with the 7 because I actually prefer the RS fork (ease of service/manuals/parts etc.) And if the riding is that gnarly I take out the Tracer VP anyway. Only plan on swapping out the TK damper for MoCo damper ($50ish) and SLX brakes sometime this summer.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Mine don't line up perfect either. But not off that much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got back from the southeast bike expo. Got to demo the stache on the trails there. It is really a nice package. The trails are actually where the 1996 olymipic mountain bike race was held. The hard tail was great on the first lap (probably 5-6 miles total) then I rode the rumblefish elite and then the superfly 100 al elite. Then finally I went out for one last lap on the stache. I like it alot but have reservations on the HT thing. But I should note the trail rides alot on the face of granite rock/hill. There is absolutly no give the that ground. Handleing was good. The first stache I rode was better than the second. The second bike had some creeking and the fox CDT did not seem to work. The other trails there were supposed to be pretty muddy I stayed away from those. There was a "feel" to the bike that I really liked. I was not loving it the second time out. At that point I was pretty tired so that took away from the experience. My local trails would be more forgiving that the granite rock. When I say rock it is not loose rock. It is a large face of a hill that is rock. THe 29-3 tires are great! The weight of the bike was great also. There were a couple dips in the trail probably a 4 foot swell and the stache felt the best jumping but of course it is not a FS bike. At this point for my trails I would either buy the Superfly 100 AL elite or the stache 8.

On another note is anyone else having issues with the MTBR website?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    It seams that a fairly high percentage of the open bath CTD forks (like the one on the Stache8) fail almost immediately. The good news is; They seem to hold up after FOX repairs them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Mine don't line up perfect either. But not off that much.
    Same here, I've got about 1/4 inch of play also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Same here, I've got about 1/4 inch of play also.
    Yea mine was off enough that it took two people to put the rear wheel on... One to compress/twist the triangle and the other to put the axle through.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I would be very concerned about a mis-aligned rear dropout issue. If that occurs on mine when it gets in, I imagine that I'd have a hard time taking it home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    It seams that a fairly high percentage of the open bath CTD forks (like the one on the Stache8) fail almost immediately. The good news is; They seem to hold up after FOX repairs them.
    It seemed to be in the trail setting. I should have tried experimenting with the CTD on the other bikes
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    It seemed to be in the trail setting. I should have tried experimenting with the CTD on the other bikes
    When to dampner goes. The switch does nothing and all the settings are mush.

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast